Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Panasonic lens prices

Post Thanks / Like

Panasonic lens prices

1100 UKP - 1240 euros - 1600 USD for the 7-14mm

800 UKP - 900 euros - 1163 USD for the 14-140mm

Are they trying to kill the MFT system off before it gets started??

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Panasonic lens prices

You can't simply use exchange rates for Panasonic pricing. Different parts of the world have different prices. To date I've seen no official US pricing. Have you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cap'n bill View Post

800 UKP - 900 euros - 1163 USD for the 14-140mm

in whatever currency... is that pricing for a lens (2) that fit on micro 4/3 practically the G1 only?? love this camera but slightly unsure about that pricing.
    Endre

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The conversions I did from the Japanese market prices released about a month ago for the lenses were as follow for the exchange rates then. I'm really considering the 7-14mm to take my kit lenses from 14-400mm (35mm equivalent) with just 3 lenses. I have a few CV primes to cover faster common focal lengths and I will consider adding the 20/1.7 when Panasonic releases it too. It they still have the 45mm Macro coming it may bet added but hopefully Olympus will release their M 4/3 camera and lenses to fill some other gaps.

7-14mm - about $1179 USD
    14-140mm - about $975 USD
    14-45mm - about $319 USD
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I suppose it all comes down to performance... if the Lumix 7-14 matches or even exceeds the performance of my ZD 7-14, in a package much smaller and lighter - I will have to think carefully whether the larger lens makes sense (granted it is weathersealed and heavy duty construction).

Similarly, if the Lumix 14-150 is equal to the performance of my PL 14-150... the same principle.

Those are big questions though... it all comes down to whether Panasonic can make lenses equal to the Leica and Olympus lenses.

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

although, the kit lens performs unexpectedly nice and so does the g1 itself, compared to other kit lenses and the body compared to more "serious" bodies, a lens in that pice range somehow does not seem to fit the idea of the g1, methinks.

endre

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    You can't simply use exchange rates for Panasonic pricing. Different parts of the world have different prices. To date I've seen no official US pricing. Have you?
    I tend to agree. We haven't seen USD pricing and I can't even imagine that the 7-14 will be $1600. I did buy the 9-18 in preference to waiting for the 7-14--and because I was sure it would be more than I wanted to pay for a UWA zoom since its not a FL range I use much. However, I have little doubt it will be a winner and would mean that you wouldn't have to use an adaptor, it will work with the video--there are pluses for sure.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the prices seem high for what was initially released as a 'bridge' camera.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the pricing will be finalised on 24 Apr 09 when 7-14 is released in Japan.

I was observing the US and Japan prices when G1 & 14-45,and subsequently 45-200 was released. US prices were on average 10-15% more expensive.

Japan stores are currently taking preorders for 7-14 at official MSRP USD 1300. I guess final Japan street price will be around USD 1100
    Last edited by fortynine; 20th April 2009 at 17:41.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you look at the pricing today at Jessops vs B&H for the G1 in US Dollars it is $710 in the UK and $630 in the US.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by back alley View Post
    the prices seem high for what was initially released as a 'bridge' camera.
    Possibly but if they are well made in a smaller package still worth it and cheaper than some similar alternatives from other manufacturers.

The reality is that most bridge people don't buy additional lenses and are happy with just the kit lenses for SLR. Most enthusiasts replace the kit lens or just simply buy the body and preferred focal lengths. The smaller size, adaptability, and features are what mostly what distinguishes the G1 as a bridge camera. The price rarely did with a MSRP of $800 USD. It's more expensive than most entry level cams from almost every manufacturer albeit capable.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

What's a bridge camera? One of those CCTVs watching traffic?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    What's a bridge camera? One of those CCTVs watching traffic?
    LOL---but I had never heard it referred to as a 'bridge camera'--or maybe I just missed the discussion of it in those terms.

When I think of a bridge camera I think of a DLSR styled fixed lens, smaller sensor 10x (at least) zoom camera. I've never considered an interchangeable lens camera a 'bridge'. In my mind at least, the smaller less expensive DSLRs in all systems are entry level DSLRS utilizing the same lenses as the big boys/girls--and I hadn't even considered the G1 from that angle really--since its just a different format, a new standard.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it was referred to as a "bridge camera" by Panasonic and Olympus themselves when it was announced. It was supposed to be the "bridge" between advanced point and shoots and entry level dSLR's which doesn't make sense price wise as they kind of overlap. The "bridge" was supposed to be more ease of use and function specific though and I think it's a matter of a mix up of cultural translation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    LOL---but I had never heard it referred to as a 'bridge camera'--or maybe I just missed the discussion of it in those terms.

When I think of a bridge camera I think of a DLSR styled fixed lens, smaller sensor 10x (at least) zoom camera. I've never considered an interchangeable lens camera a 'bridge'. In my mind at least, the smaller less expensive DSLRs in all systems are entry level DSLRS utilizing the same lenses as the big boys/girls--and I hadn't even considered the G1 from that angle really--since its just a different format, a new standard.

Diane
    Well, it is not a dSLR, since it lacks (happily...) the reflex finder, mirror flap &c. It is not a P/S, since it has lens interchangeability, and too much bulk. Also, it has a "grown-up" sensor size (Iīd like to stick out my neck, and call it "full-frame", just to show the meaninglessness of this term; just because Oscar Barnack used 2 frames of cinema film in his prototype in 1914, it doesnīt necessarily mean itīs the ideal size for a silicon chip in 2009...).

Itīs something *between* a P/S and a dSLR, which is usually termed a "bridge" for some reason. It might even be said to be something between a "bridge" and a dSLR. A bridge too many?

Seriously, who cares? Itīs a great camera, and thatīs enough!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, who cares where the marketers are trying to place the camera. It will be interesting to see where the 7-14 ends up pricewise. Considering lenses like the 14-24 Nikkor are in the $1800 range, a similar wide zoom lens for ĩ4/3 (one stop slower) would make a ~$1200 or so retail (as posted above) fairly reasonable, no?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

If it holds up optically I would think that a UWA lens like that would be worth it (@ $1200 or less) to be able to produce images that wide when need be. Much higher than that and I personally will more than likely search for alternatives.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cap'n bill View Post
    (...)
    That is a crazy price and it make me once again wonder what Panasonic thinks about their customers. Lumix isn't *that* flashy...

Heck, I can imagine people looking at the G1 after having read the reviews turning into another direction when checking lens availability and prices - two obvious drawbacks can't be clever marketing.

Time will tell and I am looking forward to see what Olympus makes out of this. Increase their prices? Lol.

--
    Jonas

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Probably best to hold off on second guessing Panasonic until the official pricing is out. At that point if it's really $1600, by all means.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Probably best to hold off on second guessing Panasonic until the official pricing is out. At that point if it's really $1600, by all means.
    Yes, hopefully the prices in the USA will be lower. They will for example not include the common European sales taxes.
    I live in the EU and the price here seem to be confirmed. I'll hold out til' they dropped significantly. That may take a looong time.

When I say the price is crazy it is comparing to other brands here in the EU.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Per Ofverbeck View Post
    Itīs something *between* a P/S and a dSLR, which is usually termed a "bridge" for some reason. It might even be said to be something between a "bridge" and a dSLR. A bridge too many?
    How about Digital Interchangeable Lens Camera (DILC)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ginny View Post
    How about Digital Interchangeable Lens Camera (DILC)?
    EVIL is the term that has been being used on a number of forums. Godfrey likes EVFI. It seems to me that EVIL wouldn't cover the Oly m4/3rds first version though--would it??

I've just used m4/3rds but as they evolve that's likely not going to cover the type--for instance, the Samsung version won't be 4/3rds but APS-c.
    Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Remember, ELVIS lives! (Electronic Live View Imaging System)

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

something seems all very wrong and strange with this.

I mean when the whole micro 4/3 was launched the marketing premise seemed to be that there was a gap between the P&S and the DSLR. It was always going to be a narrow gap as long as DSLRs continued to drop in price with economies of scale and a rapid turnover of models that created a ongoing market in soon to be discontinued models filling the non photographic consumer channel.

to succeed in my mind MFT should offer cheap bodies with a range of affordable lenses. trying to upsell the buyer of a 600 buck camera with a 1000 or 1550 buck lens when you aren't part of a longer food chain al a nikon or canon seems crazy

K

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevinparis View Post
    something seems all very wrong and strange with this.

I mean when the whole micro 4/3 was launched the marketing premise seemed to be that there was a gap between the P&S and the DSLR. It was always going to be a narrow gap as long as DSLRs continued to drop in price with economies of scale and a rapid turnover of models that created a ongoing market in soon to be discontinued models filling the non photographic consumer channel.

to succeed in my mind MFT should offer cheap bodies with a range of affordable lenses. trying to upsell the buyer of a 600 buck camera with a 1000 or 1550 buck lens when you aren't part of a longer food chain al a nikon or canon seems crazy

K
    fully agree. this pricing (if true, at the end) seems to be simply out of class. whatever good the currently availabe M4/3 is (the G1) methinks there is a reasonable limit to spend on a lens for this body. and whatever lens you attach to it, it still performs nicely up to a certain ASA, (not too high numbers here) so, pricewise end up with L or D rated lens and a daylight camera?
    Endre

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Remember, ELVIS lives! (Electronic Live View Imaging System)

Kind Regards

Brian
    I forgot ELVIS--how COULD 1??? LOL.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

I should have said at the outset that the UK prices I quoted are official from Lumix Lifetyle website. The currency conversions were simply courtesy of google.

There was an offer of 100 UKP off the wide angle and 50 UKP off the big zoom but it would need to be a lot more than that to convince me to buy.

Post Thanks / Like

Tokyo camera stores are now selling 7-14mm at USD 1100 equivalent. If non-Japan pricing is too steep, perhaps just contact a Japan re-seller and buy directly from Japan. I did that for my G1 & Kit and saved a bundle. Its international warranty.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Those are Pro lens prices, same as the Canon/Nikon pro lens equivelents. Are these lenses weather sealed, built like a pro lens, f2.8 lenses, quality of the equivelent pro lenses?
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    Those are Pro lens prices, same as the Canon/Nikon pro lens equivelents. Are these lenses weather sealed, built like a pro lens, f2.8 lenses, quality of the equivelent pro lenses?
    While there are "pro lenses" similar in price there are many moore "pro lenses" that are much more expensive. This is an optional lens choice and until it's released it's all subjective speculation on whether or not it's worth it. It's a lot of money for the average hobbyist I agree. Many people pay over $2K+ for one Leica lens and have a whole set of them so there are people who will not blink at the price. Some pay the same kind of money for Olympus, Canon, Nikon, and Sony lenses. If it's optically sound in a smaller package than the competition than I'd say it's worth it if you want it.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was talking about equivelent, i.e. equivelent focal length. Selling an equivelent focal length for prices comparible to the big boys top of the line pro lens while not being equivelent in any other way - all that when your target market is soccer moms...
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    I was talking about equivelent, i.e. equivelent focal length. Selling an equivelent focal length for prices comparible to the big boys top of the line lens while not being equivelent in any other way - all that when your target market is soccer moms...
    That may have been the original target market in the business plan but I think Micro 4/3 kind of took a life of it's own after being released amongst photography enthusiast.

Just for comparison purposes the Olympus version for 4/3 of the 7-14/f4 currently goes for $1750+S&H at B&H currently. It has identical zoom range and aperture value albeit until proven otherwise higher optical quality and weatherproofing. When you add a 4/3->Micro 4/3 adapter for $150 to that the $1100 looks more like a bargain IMO.

kiloran

Panasonic UK sent me an email a couple of days ago - Ģ800 for the 14-140 and Ģ1100 for the 7-14mm. Insane pricing and I'm out of the G1 game if I can't buy 1st-party lenses for it. Such a pity, it had real promise but those are pro prices

Post Thanks / Like

Are these not pro lenses? I've seen them compared to pro lenses and very favorably, as I understand it. I wouldn't call myself a pro-- but the camera can take just about any lens ever made-- are there better alternatives for less money? If so, what are they?

What's the relative pricing of the nikkor 14-12 vs the panasonic 7-14?

Here's a Nikkor 14-24 f2.8 @ 14mm f5.6:

Here's the Panasonic 7-14mm f/4 @ 7mm f5.6:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LizaWitz View Post
    Are these not pro lenses? I've seen them compared to pro lenses and very favorably, as I understand it. I wouldn't call myself a pro-- but the camera can take just about any lens ever made-- are there better alternatives for less money? If so, what are they?

What's the relative pricing of the nikkor 14-12 vs the panasonic 7-14?

Here's a Nikkor 14-24 f2.8 @ 14mm f5.6:
    [image]
    Here's the Panasonic 7-14mm f/4 @ 7mm f5.6:
    [image]
    Many questions Lisa, maybe they are rhetoric...

If the lenses were "pro" they could have been weather shielded, no?

Do you find the G1 to be a pro system? Who is supposed to buy the system? I have seen several nice Panasonic ads with a chic lady at a shopping tour with her handbag and the G1 as company...

But the above is not my main reason to post. I wonder where you have seen comparisons between the G7-14 and the Nikkor 14-24? Any real review, not only those tiny images you posted here (where there seem to be more details in the Nikkor image already at this small size).

--
    Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

Curious where the Panny 7-14 shot came from--who took the photos (LisaWitz)?? Is it already shipping? I saw that it was to be available in Japan--like now, as the GH1 and the 14-140 are also available, but I hadn't seen anyone anywhere that had one yet.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

The images posted by Lisa seem to come from this auto translated page:http://translate.google.com/translat...istory_state0=

EDIT: At a first look it the G7-14 seem to do quite well. But I also think I see some loss odf definition due to software corrections of the distortion and CA. I hope we can get some raw files to play with.
    Last edited by Jonas; 27th April 2009 at 13:48.

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    If the lenses were "pro" they could have been weather shielded, no?
    Leica M lenses aren't weather shielded either. This seems like another thing that never used to bother anyone until it became a "feature" for some makers to advertise...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    Leica M lenses aren't weather shielded either. This seems like another thing that never used to bother anyone until it became a "feature" for some makers to advertise...
    Agree 100%. It's kind of unnecessary to have weather sealed lenses on a non-weather sealed camera IMO. Just adds addtional costs even if it's a great feature to have in general.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Agree 100%. It's kind of unnecessary to have weather sealed lenses on a non-weather sealed camera IMO. Just adds addtional costs even if it's a great feature to have in general.
    I agree. In all the years I've shot both film and DSLR I can't remember very many times I actually needed weather sealed camera and lens (and none of my bodies are though some of my Canon lenses are). I stick the camera in a big plastic bag if needed--usually carry one in my bags--particularly if hiking.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    If you don't like weather shielding as a feature in general you have to come up with better arguments:

Leica M lenses: and exactly how much electronics was there in the old M system?

Additional costs? No, it doesn't cost anything compared to the glass elements.

And yes, I have lived with plastic bags in the camera bas for many years. It doesn't mean I would like not having to do so. With the latest system of them all I would have appreciated if the lenses were weather shielded. There might be a weather shielded body down the road, no?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

If you don't like weather shielding as a feature in general you have to come up with better arguments:

Leica M lenses: and exactly how much electronics was there in the old M system?

Additional costs? No, it doesn't cost anything compared to the glass elements.

And yes, I have lived with plastic bags in the camera bas for many years. It doesn't mean I would like not having to do so. With the latest system of them all I would have appreciated if the lenses were weather shielded. There might be a weather shielded body down the road, no?
    It may not cost them much extra to manufacture the seals make make a weather sealed lens but you could be sure a weather sealed variant would cost the consumer more. Just look at the 4/3 variant of the 7-14mm. It's selling for $1750 USD. That's a $650 premium over the rumored Micro 4/3 variant. It possibly has better optics but on paper they are "identical."

Post Thanks / Like

It may not cost them much extra to manufacture the seals make make a weather sealed lens but you could be sure a weather sealed variant would cost the consumer more. Just look at the 4/3 variant of the 7-14mm. It's selling for $1750 USD. That's a $650 premium over the rumored Micro 4/3 variant. It possibly has better optics but on paper they are "identical."
    Yes, and no. Have a look at the Pentax DSLR cameras... it doesn't seem as the weather shielding cost their owners a lot of money.

OTOH Panasonic can charge USD 8 plus taxes for a rear lens cap and it is true that every penny in manufacture cost is multiplied a number of times when the prduct is up for sale.

I'm not sure about comparing the G7-14 with the ZD7-14. One of the main benefits with the ĩ4/3 lens mount is that wide angle lenses can be made smaller and lighter and I guess the price difference has much more to do with that than the O-rings.

The ZD7-14 seems better corrected as well. Looking at the "raw" G7-14 image it seem to lean on software correction to quite some degree.

Personally I am a bit torn when it comes to weather shielding. I don't see it as a necessity but, I wouldn't mind it. EUR 1.200 or EUR 1.250 with and without it, respectively? I would take the later.

In real life I already grabbed the ZD9-18. it is not weather shielded, works well and the price is reasonably.

Post Thanks / Like

if your greatest peril is spilling a Chi-tea latte on your tools...Lack of weather seals might be an acceptable risk...but silt, sand, and sleet wiLL kill your digi toys.,, beLieve me ... I can buy a weather seal'd P&s wide that will pass for gooD to eXceLLent on this interweb,,, for a fraction of what you folks are speculating...
    Last edited by Y.B.Hudson III; 28th April 2009 at 00:48.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Had a look at the UWA comparison and despite the fact the Lumix 7-14 was oversharpened (naughty!) the ZD 7-14 + G1 combination comes out on top, followed closely by the D700 + 14-24... I'm going to stick to my G1 + 4/3rds adapter + ZD 7-14 combination - at least until my E-620 arrives!

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OTOH Panasonic can charge USD 8 plus taxes for a rear lens cap and it is true that every penny in manufacture cost is multiplied a number of times when the prduct is up for sale.

Just to compare plastic with plastic.....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...s_Cap_for.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Just to compare plastic with plastic.....
    It is lucky for us that Panasonic not think they are Leica for real. That's why the xxxx Panasonic 25/1.4 is a mere USD 800 and not USD 2.400.

Yes, I love Panny prices. I'm sorry for having said they charge us too much for their stuff.

--
    Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not opposed to weather sealing at all and would like it for same money, but most of us don't find it a necessity. Those who do seem to pay dearly for it--in most cases. I don't know where the G1 system will go, but my original Panny m4/3rds lenses aren't weatherproof so I'm not concerned about buying a wide angle that is. Each of us has our own needs and chooses what's important--I'm for good optics, reasonable body build and will live without weather proofing--IF it will keep prices down. YMMV.

In all honesty, if the G1 was in the price range of the 5DII or the Nikon equivalent I feel reasonably sure I wouldn't have added it to my gear. I really like it, enjoy shooting with it, but at this stage in its development I would feel a bit queasy putting so much money into a system that's just building. For the time being I'd rather keep my lens choices in the 'reasonable' range.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    I'm not opposed to weather sealing at all and would like it for same money (...) will live without weather proofing--IF it will keep prices down. YMMV.

In all honesty, if the G1 was in the price range of the 5DII or the Nikon equivalent (...) For the time being I'd rather keep my lens choices in the 'reasonable' range.
    I shouldn't have brought up the weather sealing thing. I did it as Lisa (wherever she went...) claimed the lens to be a "pro" lens at a reasonable price. I can't argue for weather shielding as a necessity and for the moment I don't own a single weather shielded lens.

My problem is rather the Panasonic prices are a bit on the high side. At the same time we don't know where the system will go. If ĩ4/3 develops into a big system with both advanced (pro? ) and cheap P&S type models I will start to wonder why my G7-14 isn't weather shielded. That would be if I had been interested in it from start and bought it of course. If Panasonic charge me top dollars I want all the features, not only small and badly corrected lenses leaning on software correction. Small is good but not everything.

I don't think anyone would have bought a G1 costing as much as a FF camera... and as you I prefer lenses in the 'reasonable' range. That's why I bought the ZD9-18 and reported about my findings (as I know you know I did...).

Now I feel as I'm just repeating myself and don't think I'll post more on the matter. What I am doing, basically, is venting my stinki'n opinion which it is that the Panny prices are too high for what they deliver.