The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax RF/Nikon RF adapter for G1

monza

First photos of Amedeo's adapter to support both Contax RF and Nikon RF lenses. These are lenses made for the classic Contax IIa and IIIa, and the Nikon S, S2, S3, SP rangefinders.

Some wide angle lenses are not compatible due to extended rear elements conflicting with the shutter chamber of the G1. These are more complicated than the typical adapter, because there is a focusing helical in the adapter.

Available soon from amedeo.m on ebay.

Previously it required two adapters to use these lenses (Amedeo's Nikon RF to Leica M adapter, plus any Leica M to G1 adapter.)

Unlike their Leica thread mount cousins, the Nikon RF and Contax RF mount Nikkors and Sonnars are generally reasonably priced and offer legendary vintage rendering. Here is a photo I shot with a Carl Zeiss Opton Sonnar 50/1.5 on the G1 (using two adapters.)

pentacon6

As I know, from the expert from Taiwan who also made one with the helicoid said that in Contax RF series lens just 50mm or standard lens can reach infinity focus. It is really pity that only one or two lenses can survive on G1. Especially the Jupiter 35mm f2.8 with actually 5mm from the rear element to back flange, there is no room for modification.

Just wonder when will Leica made a live view version for the coming M body :D
Of course, this would be a conflict for the rangefinder operation.

For the helicoid adapter for G1, please check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FOUCSING-HELICO...|66:5|65:12|39:2|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:200

A Contax sonnar is just fitted into it in the picture.

monza

With Amedeo's adapter, it is possible to use more than just the 50mm. Any of the wide angle lenses that don't have extended rear elements (such as Nikkor 35/2.5) plus any of the telephotos will also mount properly, in the same manner they mount on the original rangefinder bodies.

The telephotos have their own helical. So using the fantastic Sonnar-formula Nikkor 85/2 or 105/2.5 lenses is possible with the Amedeo adapter.

wjlapier

I'll take one in brass only. No chrome!

I have amedeo's adapter for M mount and I do use the Nikkor 3.5cm/3.5 lens on the G1 as well as the 13.5cm. I also have a Zeiss Opton 50/1.5 I use with that adapter.

Robert, when will these be available? I might have to contact Amedeo for a brass only one!

monza

Hi Bill, the brass looks great doesn't it? I'm not sure exactly when they'll be available, but it looks like it will be soon from the condition of the prototypes.

wjlapier

Hi Bill, the brass looks great doesn't it? I'm not sure exactly when they'll be available, but it looks like it will be soon from the condition of the prototypes.
Hello Robert--I just sent Amedeo an email.

The brass one does look nice.

Oh--I got the Xenoplan. Nice little lens! Thanx--

35EE

I am a new member and keen on using a few old Contax lenses on a G1 - could I ask how Amedeo may be contacted? Is his the shop on ebay labelled (in Italian) 'Amedeo machinery'? (No items listed at present.)

So far I have mounts for FD, M42, Pentacon 6, C-mount and LTM for the G1 (and am considering the Konica and Olympus adapters) - it has really brought a world of lenses into digital!

Leica 77

Hello Colleagues,
Attached please find three images: a) G1 + Rayqual M lens adapter + Amedeo's Contax/Nikon RF wide angle lens adapter + Nikon RF 2.8cm MC lens, b) G1 + Rayqual M lens adapter + Amedeo's Contax/Nikon RF wide angle lens adapter, c) a digital image recorded using the set up in a). With this set up, the Nikon wide angle RF 2.8cm lens can focus to infinity. Thank you for looking. Leica 77 :)

monza

Leica 77, thanks for your post.

That's a good setup for the Contax RF/Nikon RF lenses that have helicals in the lenses (any of the wides or teles.)

For those lenses that don't have helicals (the normal focal lengths) I use an M adapter and a specially made adapter from Amedeo that is built using a vintage Nikon S2 helical.

Here it is, featuring my favorite lens, Carl Zeiss Opton Sonnar 50/1.5 in Contax RF mount, the same one that took the cat photo in the first post.

And here are some photos taken with it:

Leica 77

Hello monza,
The images taken by the Carl Zeiss Opton Sonnar 50/1.5 are stunning. The sharpness and bokeh really stand out in these images. We seem to be on the same page (a pun intended here). I have been using the CZOS 50/1.5 with either the Nikon SP or the Nikon S2. It also happens to be one of my favorite lenses. I attach an example recorded by the G1 + CZOS 50/1.5. Cheers! Leica 77 :)

Leica 77

Another view of a similar situation using the Leica M Summicron 50mm on G1. Aperture @ 5.6. Thanks for looking. Leica 77 :)

Leica 77

Great Shot, monza!
Here is another one with the Carl Zeiss Contax RF Sonnar 50/1.5. Aperture @ f1.5. Best regards, Leica 77 :)