The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arri adapter?

The Arri adapter by Hawk listed in the adapter chart seemsis no longer available, and rabenwolf (not in the list) does not seem to have any, either.

Does anybody know where to find them?

Thanks
Peter

wjlapier

I found an arri std to c mount adapter online. Cost only $40, solidly made, and works perfectly. Now if I could find a 35mm format arri std lens that didn't cost an arm and leg I might try another. My Schneider 16/2 in 16mm format vignettes like most cine wides do. I know of a place that had a arri bayonet to c mount adapter. I'll check to see if they still have it.

I found an arri std to c mount adapter online. Cost only $40, solidly made, and works perfectly. Now if I could find a 35mm format arri std lens that didn't cost an arm and leg I might try another. My Schneider 16/2 in 16mm format vignettes like most cine wides do.
Unfortunately, 35mm Arris are very pricey. I just received an old but still excellent 18mm Speed Panchro from Russia. It is very sharp with beautiful color rendition and does not vignette.

I know of a place that had a arri bayonet to c mount adapter. I'll check to see if they still have it.
Thanks for letting me know.

wjlapier

I just checked. The arri bayonet to c mount was $30 and is sold. They have an arri std to c mount for $375! Wow. Here is the link to their site:

http://www.cinemagear.com/index_files/Page2885.html

Look under accessories.

The guy is slow to ship stuff and not very good with email communication.

The arri to c mount looks like a simple design. Basically a tube with a tapered end, c mount threads and some set screws.

Bill

Photomorgana

Peter,

I am guessing Hawk will get new version of the Arri mount adapter soon. He bought Arri-Bayonet to C-mount from me last week. Arri B will be able to accept Arri Standard lenses as well.

I just saw on feebay 35mm format Zeiss Arri 85mm T2 sold for $350. Great deal I think.

Thank you all for your help. I contacted Hawk and he answered he can ship immediately.

Photomorgana, I could not locate the Zeiss 85mm you mentioned. Anyhow, I am mainly looking for wide angles.

I recently bought an 18mm f/2 T/2.2 Speed Panchro III. My first test photos at full opening in grey weather show excellent edge to edge sharpness with no vignetting and beautiful color rendition. I am looking forward to some sunny weather to take more shots with it and my also newly acquired 25mm f//2.0 T/2.5 Kinoprik APO and 32mm f/2.0 T/2.3 Speed Panchro II.

With the 25mm f/1.5 Xenon and 50mm f/2.0 T/2.3 Speed Panchro II that should now cover most of my "normal" prime for the G1.

The 9.8mm f/1.5 Kinoptik Tegea is too heavy and bulky to be of practical use on the G1. The 16mm f/2.8 Zenitar does not reach the quality of the 18mm Speed Panchro. This leaves me looking for some prime wide angles.

Last edited:

Photomorgana

Photomorgana, I could not locate the Zeiss 85mm you mentioned. Anyhow, I am mainly looking for wide angles.

I recently bought an 18mm f/2 T/2.2 Speed Panchro III. My first test photos at full opening in grey weather show excellent edge to edge sharpness with no vignetting and beautiful color rendition. I am looking forward to some sunny weather to take more shots with it and my also newly acquired 25mm f//2.0 T/2.5 Kinoprik APO and 32mm f/2.0 T/2.3 Speed Panchro II.

With the 25mm f/1.5 Xenon and 50mm f/2.0 T/2.3 Speed Panchro II that should now cover most of my "normal" prime for the G1.

The 9.8mm f/1.5 Kinoptik Tegea is too heavy and bulky to be of practical use on the G1. The 16mm f/2.8 Zenitar does not reach the quality of the 18mm Speed Panchro. This leaves me looking for some prime wide angles.
Peter,

That Kinoptik is truly nice lens. nice color and resolution. I do have 50/2 and 100/2 and love them. I do also want to add a wide angle, but you right that Tegea is too huge. Do you have a sample of Cooke 18mm, its sounds like good option.

wjlapier

I'm assuming you guys are talking about 35mm format arri lenses? Just curious, but what are you paying for these? Almost all the 35mm format arri lenses I looked at were way too much for me just to use on the G1.

I'm assuming you guys are talking about 35mm format arri lenses? ... Almost all the 35mm format arri lenses I looked at were way too much for me just to use on the G1.
Most of them will cover bigger formats. My 50mm Speed Panchro is RF-coupled LSM; I had a 100mm Kinoptik in Alpa Reflex mount that covered FF 35mm (24x36) , as does a 150mm Kinoptik that I have not yet tried on the G1. Older Speed Panchros and Kinoptik are not cheap but they cost less than comparable Leica glass and they still provide excellent performance.

Under the influence of the c-mount lens craze, I had previously bought two 16mm cine lenses, a 25mm Cine Xenon and a 20mm SOM Berthiot. Together, they cost me more than one of the 35mm format Speed Panchros. They did not cover the G1 sensor, vignetted and/or smeared. For me they were unusable and they are still lying around.

Arri PL adapter

There are some interesting lenses around in the newer ARRI PL (Positive Lock) mount. Would anyone know if an adapter for this mount exists or is in the works?
Thanks
Peter

P

pix2pixels

With more than 6000 RED ONE cameras that came on the market in the last two years, the PL mount lenses became very scarce and increased in price exponentially. As a result, there are at least five new manufacturers apart the usual suspects (Zeiss, Cooke), showing off new lenses at this years NAB. Just don't be shocked at the prices quoted in those threads. A five lens RRP - Red primes set will cost you $19,000.... and they are great lenses and good value for money, in a world where, just a single Ultra Prime lens from Zeiss sells for the same price.

The planned release of Scarlet & Epic will make these lenses even more valuable and prices will stay here for quite a while.

On the other hand, maybe some of the older glass, Zeiss Super Speeds, Ultra primes will come down in price. As the adaptor issue is concerned, there is a way around it by using one used in products like Letus or Cinevate and mount them on the MFT like the C mounts are done.

Anyone out there with good skills?

I

Illya Friedman

Hi Peter (and everyone else),

My company makes an adapter called the "Hot Rod PL". It allows nearly any PL mount lens to be mounted and supported correctly on a micro 4/3 mount camera (G1/GH1).

The Patent Pending adapter has tripod mounts (1/4 and 3/8), 15mm mini-rod support (for mattebox and follow focus accessories) and handgrip options. The Hot Rod PL will be available in June.

Price is still TBD as I am trying to find ways to minimize costs.

There is a photo of the first unsupported prototype mount on Prolost.com

If you send me an email, I'll let you know as soon as I have new photos/availability/pricing information.

I.

Illya Friedman
Hot Rod Cameras

My company makes an adapter called the "Hot Rod PL". It allows nearly any PL mount lens to be mounted and supported correctly on a micro 4/3 mount camera (G1/GH1).

The Patent Pending adapter has tripod mounts (1/4 and 3/8), 15mm mini-rod support (for mattebox and follow focus accessories) and handgrip options. The Hot Rod PL will be available in June.

Price is still TBD as I am trying to find ways to minimize costs.

There is a photo of the first unsupported prototype mount on Prolost.com

If you send me an email, I'll let you know as soon as I have new photos/availability/pricing information.

Hi Illya,

I am very interested in a PL to mFT adapter. Please let me know when it is available and at what price.

I read that you plan an adapter with tripod mounts (1/4 and 3/8), 15mm mini-rod support (for mattebox and follow focus accessories) and handgrip options. This will certainly add to the cost and weight and is unnecessary for many users. For my own use and I guess the majority of other users on this forum interested in making still photos with good lenses available only in PL mount, the only useful extra would be the 1/4 tripod mount. Weight will also be an important issue. Many people chose the G1 - amongst other criteria - for its light weight. If you add an adapter that weighs more than the camera itself, this advantage is lost.

May I suggest to you to offer 2 different models, call them for instance "still" and "video"at different price levels, features and weight. For those users not intending to make high class videos but interested only in still photos a simpler, lightweight version with only a 1/4 tripod mount, made for instance of anodized aluminum, might be preferable.

If priced competitively with other G1 adapters, I am sure you will sell more of these than of the "pro" version.

Cheers
Peter

On the DVXUser forum you can find pictures of a PL adapter for the G1/GH1. You need to register (free) to see the pictures. I do not know if it is the same adapter announced here by Illya.

Provisional price of that adapter was stated as $350