Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: G1 with 7-14mm - show yours !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: G1 with 7-14mm - show yours !!!!!

Two "strange" pics with this lens, shot in Brugge, one of the most beautiful cities in the world

(reflection in a shop window, @ 7mm)

(HDR conversion from a single image, @ 7mm)

C U,
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Smile Re: G1 with 7-14mm - show yours !!!!!

Hello Rafael,
    Your images are absolutely beautiful. The super wide angle @ 7mm performs a magic. The sharpness is also outstanding. Best regards, Leica 77

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed the surreal image of the carriage horse. I won't own the 7-14 since I bought the 9-18, but I enjoy seeing the images from it.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for your comments, Leica77 and Diane, much appreciated

Here's another light HDR conversion from the MarketPlace (de Markt) in Brugge

G1 with 7-14mm @ 7mm iso 100 f7.1 1/250 cropped vertically

CU,
    Rafael

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rafael, The horse image is splendid. Close range captures are where these would shine. Outstanding example!

While using the ultrawide range, you may want to pay attention (gridlines on display are useful) to leveling the camera to minimize perspective distortions.

pnd1

Iíve just returned from a two week shoot in the Pacific Northwest, where I used the G1ís new 7-14mm lens for the first time in the field. I was so impressed with its potential for expression that I have added a new gallery to my pbase cyberbook devoted to using a super wide angle lens effectively. The gallery features ten of the images I made with the 7-14mm lens under various conditions and purposes. You can see these images, accompanied by my commentary, at:

http://www.pbase.com/pnd1/super_wideangle_photography

If you have any questions, I would happy to answer them here in this thread. I hope those of you who already have this lens, or are considering adding it, will find this gallery helpful.

Phil Douglis

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pnd1 View Post
    Iíve just returned from a two week shoot in the Pacific Northwest, where I used the G1ís new 7-14mm lens for the first time in the field. I was so impressed with its potential for expression that I have added a new gallery to my pbase cyberbook devoted to using a super wide angle lens effectively. The gallery features ten of the images I made with the 7-14mm lens under various conditions and purposes. You can see these images, accompanied by my commentary, at:

If you have any questions, I would happy to answer them here in this thread. I hope those of you who already have this lens, or are considering adding it, will find this gallery helpful.

Phil Douglis
    Hello Phil,
    Just visited your pbase.com web site and saw your fabulous super wide angle shots. The images are truly astounding! Best regards, Leica 77

pnd1

Thanks, Leica 77, for your thoughts on my wideangle images. I felt very much like a kid with a new toy out there, and found myself learning more every time I used the 7-14mm lens. It is an amazing tool, but as I note, there is a learning curve involved.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phil, I just had a look as well. Love the car and the first boat skeleton the best. I just posted a bunch on the E-P1 thread (can be used on either camera. A useful feature on the E-P1 is a bi-directional level that is a life saver in keeping the camera/lens level when the shot demands it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Phil, I just had a look as well. Love the car and the first boat skeleton the best. I just posted a bunch on the E-P1 thread (can be used on either camera. A useful feature on the E-P1 is a bi-directional level that is a life saver in keeping the camera/lens level when the shot demands it.
    Hello TEBnewyork and Phil,
    Likewise, the image entitled "Nostalgia for Sale" certainly caught my keen attention. Best regards, Leica 77

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stunning gallery, Phil !

My favorite is the restored oldtimer, and it reminds me I have to wash my vintage car, and give it a go with the 7-14, or with some vintage lenses

thanks for sharing, and C U,
    Rafael

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

]If you have any questions, I would happy to answer them here in this thread. I hope those of you who already have this lens, or are considering adding it, will find this gallery helpful.

Phil Douglis[/QUOTE]

No real questions. Looked at your wide angle serie. Enjoyed it very much and the great variation in subjects which truly shows the capabillitys of this lens, in the right hands of course .
    The world war II bunker is my favourite.
    I bought the 9-18 Olympus lens wich I also can use on my E-3. AF works on the G1 as well.

Since bunkers may interest you, here are two of the same bunker on the coast of Normandy, where my second home is.
    The bunker fell over the years of its base.

With my sold E-300 with 14-45 kitlens in a very cold februari in 2008

This photograph shows better the scale of the thing.

With the E-3 and 12-60 lens in september 2008

Kind regards, Michiel

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow, Michiel that's a subject worth some study!

Thanks, and also - as always to Phil Douglis - really enjoyed your UWA gallery & hope you will do much more.

Kind Regards

Brian

pnd1

Thanks Brian, Michiel, Rafael, Leica77, and Terry, for your responses. Yes, I do plan to add more 7-14mm images to my new super wideangle gallery on pbase. I will be shooting in Gloucester, Mass later this month, and will be traveling by train from Montreal to Vancouver in September. I will also be shooting in Istanbul, Kiev, and Bucharest in October. All in all, I plan to be on the road with my G1 and its three lenses for six weeks worth of shooting this summer and fall, which I hope will produce some worthwhile new images.

Thanks, Terry, for letting me know about the EP-1. I did not know that it had been released. The bi-directional level sounds wonderful. I understand that the EP-1 weighs less than the G1, can use all of its lenses, and has movie capability, but it does not offer either an internal EVF or an articulating LCD. You apparently now use both the G1 and the EP-1 interchangeably. What advantages does your EP-1 offer you?

Thanks,
    Phil

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phil,
    I don't really know yet what advantages it has. There are some specific features that are better on the E-P1 but other aspects of implemtation where the G1 works out better for me. I've only had it since Tuesday so stay tuned I'm not shy about posting! Like the G1 it is a fun camera to use. I am very enthusiastic about micro 4/3 or mirrorless in general so for me it is fun to try them out and support the new format. Someone has to keep this economy alive!!!
    Last edited by Terry; 4th July 2009 at 15:01.

pnd1

Thanks, Terry, your thoughts on the EP-1. What intrigues me about it is the possibility of using it exclusively with my Panny 7-14mm wideangle zoom. By keeping that lens on the EP-1, and my 45-200mm zoom on my G1, I would rarely have to change lenses in the field. The internal leveling device in the EP-1 would also be very helpful in avoiding distortion.

Thanks,
    Phil

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phil Douglis
    Phil,

What an excellent site you have on PBASE!! In addition to the G1/7-14 shots I've spent hours going through your site and it's insightful essays/examples and overall beautiful photographs.

Folks, I highly recommend paying Phil's Site a visit!

I'm a recent convert to the G1 for my walk around camera and I was hoping that this would be an inexpensive addition to my camera arsenal. Unfortunately the allure of the 7-14mm is beginning to change that view! Yet another lens that is already tugging at my purse strings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Terry, your thoughts on the EP-1. What intrigues me about it is the possibility of using it exclusively with my Panny 7-14mm wideangle zoom. By keeping that lens on the EP-1, and my 45-200mm zoom on my G1, I would rarely have to change lenses in the field. The internal leveling device in the EP-1 would also be very helpful in avoiding distortion.

Thanks,
    Phil
    Hi Phil, do you not find yourself framing the 7-14 with your articulating live view LCD? I find eye-level viewfinders too restricting with an UWA lens... and wonder whether the E-P1, despite the amazing angles of view possible on the fixed LCD - would be similarly restricted?

Terry, what are your thoughts on this?

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Brian I was holding the E-P1 very low with the 7-14 yesterday. The viewing angle of the screen allowed me to see how close to level I was. If I could get it within one square in either direction I was fine and didn't have a big distortion problem. Holding that low and doing fine tuning adjustments with your hands isn't easy.

I agree with you Brian that eye level on such a wide angle isn't the optimal way to frame. I find if I don't have it lower I do miss a critical element to the shot. For instance on this one I really wanted to make sure that I didn't cut off the bottom center where you see a little bit of the ice plant showing. It shows the viewer that the little cove of water stops where it does. If I didn't get the whole camera low, I would have had to point it downwards and would then have a flagpole going at a crazy angle.

With the G1 I always have the grid lines on with this lens. With the EP1 you can't have both (grid&level) but I would rather have the level. I would trade the grid lines for the level in a second. There are times when I don't shoot the lens level but that is a conscious decision understanding the ramifications and doing it for artistic purposes. That type of the effect is one reason I bought this lens.

pnd1

Thanks, Graham, for spending so much time on my site. I now have 70 galleries holding nearly 3,000 images there, and am glad you find them helpful.

And thank you, Brian, for asking about how I frame with the 7-14mm lens. I almost always use the articulating LCD, because like Terry, I prefer to work a wideangle vantage point from waist level rather than eye level. It creates far less distortion. It is very easy to work with the camera held low when we have an LCD that flips out as the G1 screen does.

It is probably a bit more difficult to hold the EP-1 low, since the screen does not flip out. However, Terry tells that she uses her own 7-14mm lens on the EP-1 from a low vantage point. I would assume, Terry, that you probably must lower the camera and hold it at arms length in order to see what is on its vertical screen. Am I correct?

Thanks,
    Phil

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is probably a bit more difficult to hold the EP-1 low, since the screen does not flip out. However, Terry tells that she uses her own 7-14mm lens on the EP-1 from a low vantage point. I would assume, Terry, that you probably must lower the camera and hold it at arms length in order to see what is on its vertical screen. Am I correct?

Thanks,
    Phil
    It is more difficult than a fold out screen to see but I wasn't being a contortionist either. The good news is the viewing angle of the LCD on the Pen is very good so you can see what you are doing. In addition, the best news, with the level confirmation you have a good degree of confidence/control that you are getting what you want.

pnd1

Thanks, Terry,

It is good to know that the viewing angle of the EP-1 screen is so large. On the other hand, it is hard for me to visualize exactly where I would stand relative to the position of the camera in order to hold it low and still see my image on a vertical LCD, and also see the readout on the leveling control at the same time. If you can, would it be possible for you to post a picture of how you are holding the EP-1 while using the 7-14mm lens? It would really help. Thanks, Terry.
    Phil

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok you asked.
    This picture is from my iPhone. The camera is about 1 foot from the ground (look at the grid line versus bed height in the LCD). I am bent over at waist level to hold the camera that low. So with my head a bit above waist level, I can completely see the horizontal and vertical lines getting me level. I can also see what is on the screen and how the picture is being framed. I was a bit handicapped trying to take the picture with one hand holding the iphone and keeping the camera reasonably level with the other. In practice it is much easier.

click picture to make bigger
    Attachment 19029

To simulate, take your G1 and have the lcd on in the same position as a fixed LCD. Holding the camera with one hand hold it about a foot off the floor and see what you can see on the screen.

If this example doesn't help, I will enlist the help of a neighbor .

pnd1

Thanks, Terry -- it's a good start. I now I at least can see what you driving at here, but when I tried it with my G1's LCD in a vertical position, and held the camera a foot off the ground and looked down on it, I could not see anything on the screen. The eyepiece blocked part of it, of course, and the part of the screen I could see from that angle was not readable.

I still am wondering how you can see detail on the EP-1's screen from such an angle. If you can ask a neighbor to take a picture of you holding the camera so I can see where your head is positioned relative to the angle of the screen, it would be a huge help. Thanks so much, Terry.

Phil

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First up, I tried what I told you to do with the G1 and it doesn't work. You need to flip the screen out. the eyepiece gets in the way and the Oly has a different sort of screen with a bigger viewing angle.

OK, I set up the G1 on a tripod and used a cable release along with the 7-14 to get in as much as possible although this makes for a rather unflattering body position even further accentuated at 7mm So, this shot is cropped
    The other option is to put my knee on the ground

So here is a crop. I could see both the content of the picture and I could even more clearly see the leveling lines.

Attachment 19031

pnd1

Thanks, Terry -- sorry to put you to such gyrations, but this is a big help. It shows me that you CAN do this standing. The reason this is so important to me is that I have bad knees and can't kneel. (That is why the G1's articulating screen is so important to me.) You seem to be aiming off to the side instead of straight in front of you -- does that help, or am I just reading that into this picture? I assume that you are not kneeling in the shot, right? Thanks again for helping me grasp what needs to be done when composing on the EP-1 using the Panasonic 7-14mm lens.

Speaking of the EP-1, in my research over the last day or so, I turned up a mockup of what looks like Panasonic copy of it. I attach a link. Do you, or anyone else on this forum know of any forthcoming "EP-1 type" micro-four thirds camera from Panasonic? (I notice that this site deals in "rumors," so I can't put much stock in what I see here.)

http://www.photographion.com/micro-t...a-body-photos/

Thanks again for your help,
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Phil,

If I remember rightly, those pictures are CAD versions someone put together and are not official Panasonic pictures. They've been circulating around for a while now.

Cheers,

pnd1

Thanks, Simon. I am not sure what a CAD image is, but I did assume that these pictures were digital mockups, which may be what you are referring to here. From the dates on the responses, I assume that they were posted awhile ago. I was just trying to find out if anyone out there might know of any Panasonic plans to actually make such a camera, and if so, when it might appear? These mockups are quite similar to the Olympus EP-1 in appearance, although cleaner in design, and less retro-looking.

Thanks,
    Phil

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phil,
    No, I was not kneeling. No the camera isn't directly in front of me but a bit off to the side. I wouldn't like to walk around shooting like that all day but it certainly wasn't a hardship when the shot called for it.

These were released by someone in Japan way back about a month after m4/3 was announced and before Panasonic showed the G1 at Photokina. Everyone went wild and loved the mockup. The person who did the renderings said that they were are dream but I still have a few doubts that they were truly a dream. On the camera they showed a 20mm fast pancake lens and then Panasonic announced a fast 20mm lens. That lens is due to come out this fall and it won't surprise me if it is attached to this sort of a body.

pnd1

Hi, Terry,

I don't see any big problems here, since you say you were able to read the information on the LCD from this position. It speaks well for the screen's angle of view.

As for those mockups, I had not seen them until today. It would certainly make sense for Panasonic to introduce its pancake lens on a body such as this. The mockups were spectacular. Panasonic should hire that fellow as a camera designer.

I definitely would like to add a second body for that 7-14mm lens so that I would not have to constantly be changing lenses in the field. A body the size of the EP-1 would be so light that it would not make a significant difference in the weight I am carrying about with me. However, I am now wondering if it might be wise to wait to see what Panasonic may have in store for us later this year in terms of compact body.

Thanks,
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi,

this one I framed with the EVF, I don't use the LCD screen that much, except when shooting from very low perspective

7-14mm @ 7mm and slightly cropped, so probably equivalent to 10mm
    Lots of PSP work, to clone the disturbing pedestrians away

C U
    Rafael

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These are 7mm shot from Leuven

(almost no postprocessing done)

(postprocessing including perspective correction and exposure blending)

C U
    Rafael

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I immediately fell in love with the colourscheme of this garden furniture

G1 with 7-14mm @ 7mm iso100

CU,
    Rafael

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone confirm that you cannot thread a filter onto the Panny 7-14mm, whereas you can on the Oly 8-18?? And what is/are the filter sizes?

Cheers,

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by f6cvalkyrie View Post
    These are 7mm shot from Leuven

(postprocessing including perspective correction and exposure blending)

C U
    Rafael

Raf

I like all of your images but the blended exposures really attract me. How do you do them? I have used bracketeer (using one image to generate three) and I have had some nice results.
    Here is an example.

Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    Can anyone confirm that you cannot thread a filter onto the Panny 7-14mm, whereas you can on the Oly 8-18?? And what is/are the filter sizes?

Cheers,
    I am not absolutely sure about the 7-14, but I believe you cannot. I can confirm you can use filters on the 9-18, filter size 72mm.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    the blended exposures really attract me. How do you do them?
    Hi Keith,

I use Photomatix Pro 3 for both HDR and exposure blending. You can download this program from here :

http://www.hdrsoft.com/

The trial is free and keeps on working forever. But it blends a watermark in the picture, that you can clone out if you're lucky.

I've also tried the exposure blending in PaintShop Pro, but I'm not happy with the results. Maybe it's just me not knowing exactely how to operate it

I'll check out also your "bracketeer"

C U
    Rafael

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    I am not absolutely sure about the 7-14, but I believe you cannot

Correct, Diane, one cannot fix any filters on the Panny 7-14mm

C U,
    Rafael

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    I am not absolutely sure about the 7-14, but I believe you cannot. I can confirm you can use filters on the 9-18, filter size 72mm.

Diane
    Thanks Diane, that is what I understood. I'm deciding between the two and although I'd love the wider lens, the lack of filter threads is a deal breaker as I want to use it on my GH1 and I have to be able to mount NDs in front of it for video shooting.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

yesterday was "open door" day in our Parliament.
    So I shot a few pics in this magnificient building for your viewing pleasure

Here

(La Chambre/de Kamer, meeting room for general assemblies)

(La Chambre/de Kamer, ceiling)

(La Chambre/de Kamer, entrance corridor)

(Senaat/Senat, meeting room for general assemblies)

(Senaat/senat, wall and ceiling)

(Senaat/Senat, bust of our first queen)

All pictures shot with the 7-14mm

C U,
    Rafael

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

yesterday was "open door" day in our Parliament.
    So I shot a few pics in this magnificient building for your viewing pleasure

Here

(La Chambre/de Kamer, meeting room for general assemblies)

(La Chambre/de Kamer, ceiling)

(La Chambre/de Kamer, entrance corridor)

(Senaat/Senat, meeting room for general assemblies)

(Senaat/senat, wall and ceiling)

(Senaat/Senat, bust of our first queen)

All pictures shot with the 7-14mm

C U,
    Rafael
    Hello Rafael,
    WoW, your images of the majestic Parliament building are simply stunning! All the best, Leica 77

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's been so long that no new pics have been posted in this topic
    This must change, the 7-14mm is one of the finest lenses one can fit on the G1 !

So, here's two from my stay in Russia.

This gives "duck with apples" another meaning

Ready for Haloween !

CU,
    Rafael

Post Thanks / Like

From one Rafael to another, the shot of the ducks is outstanding I really loved it!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

It's been so long that no new pics have been posted in this topic
    This must change, the 7-14mm is one of the finest lenses one can fit on the G1 !
    CU,
    Rafael
    Nice shots all Raf. Here is one more taken with the G1+7-14. Empty farmers market that is wall to wall people on market days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice shots, Raf and Carl. I love what you all are doing with this lens. I can't wait to own one. Please keep posting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The photos taken with the 7-14mm in capable hands produces great photos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Today, I had some time to shoot with my 7-14 again.
    Here's some autumnal views from my garden.

C U,
    Rafael

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi,

here's a few B&W conversions from last weekends trip to Villers-la Ville
    Some color versions are available @ the "historical places" thread.

C U,
    Rafael

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yesterday, My wife and I visited the "Classics" fair in Kortrijk (Belgium)
    Where normally the exposing galleries do not want you to make pictures, this year, nobody objected.

Maybe, the G1 is less intimidating than a load of Nikon stuff ?

Here's a large selection, all shot with the 7-14mm zoom, that in fact did not leave my camera for the whole shoot !
    Exactely the lens that is needed in such events !

C U,
    Rafael

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

2nd part of the shoot !

Have a nice day,
    Rafael