The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 with 7-14mm - show yours !!!!!

Diane B

Woody, I told him the same--beautiful part of the world--and to work where you can walk in surroundings like this--as Woody said--be inspired.

The lens looks really good. I know you'll enjoy it.

Diane

V

Vivek

What do with the "corner mush"? :rolleyes:

Enjoy!:)

(FWIW, I enjoy my 15mm C-V Heliar and the "mush" that bothers some does not affect me).

Godfrey

The G1's 14-45 is designed to present the 14mm FoV *AFTER* the embedded lens correction is performed and matches the 14mm setting FoV of the VE-D 14-50 lens supplied with the L1. Comparison tests demonstrate that it does this.

So the optical focal length at minimum FL is a bit shorter (probably 12mm) to allow for software rectilinear correction and consequent reduction of FoV. Why would you want to disable the lens correction only to have to do the corrections yourself later?

You don't need to do any monkeying about with the lens connections itself to do this. Just use a RAW converter that doesn't support the embedded lens correction metadata, like Vuescan, ufraw or dcraw.

Brian Mosley

Hi Godfrey,

the Olympus ZD 12-60 has a fair amount of distortion at 12mm - and that extra fov is very useful... as long as the Lumix is sharp, I don't mind the distortion in some situations.

The best news is that Lightzone now supports the G1 native raw files.

V

Vivek

Why would you want to disable the lens correction only to have to do the corrections yourself later?
That was not the intention and it was an offshoot of that test.;)

Anyway, the kit zoom, to me, was useful for a few tests.

If Robert could get the cable (extremely short) repaired, I will continue with the tests.

For now, here is a Cat Snap made with my custom made 12.5mm f/1.4 prime lens (no external attachments) @ f/2.8.

Last edited:

f6cvalkyrie

Just use a RAW converter that doesn't support the embedded lens correction metadata, like Vuescan, ufraw or dcraw.
I have just checked the converted pics I made, with a RAW vue on Vuescan, and I can confirm that there is a larger FOV than what Silkypix shows. Not much, maybe the equivalent of some 1mm of FL.

So, I am now the proud owner of a 6-14mm lens :eek::D:eek:
I wonder how much those will go on Ebay ???:bugeyes:

Also, Vuescan shows much more detail in the sky ! I will try to develop some comparison for you !

C U
rafael

Godfrey

I have just checked the converted pics I made, with a RAW vue on Vuescan, and I can confirm that there is a larger FOV than what Silkypix shows. Not much, maybe the equivalent of some 1mm of FL.
Yes, same for the 14-45: not really 12mm, but 13mm. There's a frame of about 15 pixel width around the 14mm field of view when I process the same image at 14mm in VueScan vs Lightroom.

Personally, I'll take the lens corrections ... rectilinear distortion, chromatic aberration and fall off, all three ... over the tiny bit of additional FoV. If I need wider, I'll fit the 11-22 or buy a 9-18 or 7-14. If I want distortion, my old Pentax Fish-Eye-Takumar or a Lensbaby will do fine. ;-)

f6cvalkyrie

In fact, my "real" image is 4018 x 3016, so just a tiny 0.45% wider and 0.53% higher than what you get when using the embedded lens corrections.

Here's comparison pics, sorry for the $$$ signs on the one from Vuescan.

developped with Silkypix, using only camera setting, no corrections

using Vuescan, a slightly larger FOV, visible clearly at the left border where the trees hit the image border

C U,
Rafael​

M

milapse

Wow. that's actually quite a significant difference in my opinion! Look at the handrail in the distance (across the lake) on the left...

So is silkypix the only post processor that takes the lens into account? Anyone had a chance to try adobe camera raw 5.3??

Godfrey

Wow. that's actually quite a significant difference in my opinion! Look at the handrail in the distance (across the lake) on the left...

So is silkypix the only post processor that takes the lens into account? Anyone had a chance to try adobe camera raw 5.3??
This example of the 7-14 processing is with the Lumix G 7-14/4, right? Not the Olympus ZD 7-14/4 ... ?? The latter inserts no lens correction metadata, only the former.

Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom honor Panasonic's intended metadata lens correction processing.

Diane B

Rafael, I can't get the 1st or the 3rd--but the second photo shows off what a good WAZ can do. Very nice.

I'd love to see the 7-14 on the G1 also.

Diane

f6cvalkyrie

well, I think we are facing an forum interface problem.
This morning, the pictures don't show up correctly, only 1 of 3 that I posted shows :(
And I don't have an "edit" button to try and change something.
I have however changed my picture hosting habits, I was with flickr, but run into the 200 pics free hosting, so now I upload them to my 1 GB picasa account.

Could that have to do with it ??

Posting a pic of the G1 with the 7-14mm attached will have to wait 3 more weeks, because I own only one digital camera, and that's the G1.
But, beginning of June, my wife will be back from a longer stay in Russia (her homeland), and she will bring her (former, my) FZ30. So, please be a little patient ;)

C U,
Rafael

T

tripper

I was very surprised to discover the Pan 7-14mm did not have Mega O.I.S on board ! is this because it is a 'clone' of the Olympus version or are these short focal ranges not considered 'worthy' ?

tripper

f6cvalkyrie

Haha, why not have the G1 picture itself :confused::confused::confused:

Here, and I also made some comparison shots for you to appreciate the really compact dimensions, hardly bigger than the 14-45m, taking into account that the sunshade on the 7-14 cannot be removed.

Hope this helps you !
Rafael​

Brian Mosley

Wow! that is absolutely incredible! I want one!

It's true the Olympus ZD 7-14mm is optically amazing, but the size difference swings things firmly in favour of the Lumix imho.

Thanks Rafael :clap:

Kind Regards

Brian