The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 with 7-14mm - show yours !!!!!

G

greggebhardt

Mine was to arrive today but the Post Office is closed. These pictures are really nice with good sharpeness for a lens that does 7mm (14mm eq)

kwalsh

So the 7-14 is in stock at Amazon right now for $1100... So a few shots to tempt those on the sidelines:

Must buy lens... Must buy lens...

Sorry, that was sort of mean...

Ken

Brian Mosley

So the 7-14 is in stock at Amazon right now for $1100... So a few shots to tempt those on the sidelines:

Ken
Ken, you almost had me with your first 2 shots... beautifully sharp right into corners. What happened to the 3rd?

Cheers

Brian

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Ken
Nice series Ken! Though I'm a little puzzled by the color on the third one -- do the pink clouds in the background look like they have an odd color layer, or is it just my eyes?

kwalsh

Ken, you almost had me with your first 2 shots... beautifully sharp right into corners. What happened to the 3rd?
Nice series Ken! Though I'm a little puzzled by the color on the third one -- do the pink clouds in the background look like they have an odd color layer, or is it just my eyes?
I'm not thrilled with the color processing on the third, I was thinking I might need to revisit it and based on the feedback I guess it is back to the drawing board!

Brian, are you thinking it is looking unsharp at this small a size or just ugly colors/composition/something else?

Thanks for the feedback!

Ken

Brian Mosley

Brian, are you thinking it is looking unsharp at this small a size or just ugly colors/composition/something else?

Thanks for the feedback!

Ken
Ken, the bottom left corner looks smeared/out of focus?

The other two have got me hovering on the 'buy' button... outstanding!

Thanks for sharing, these are terrific. :thumbs:

Also, Jack and Guy you've both done excellent sets... which raw converter did you use?

Cheers

Brian

Last edited:

kwalsh

Ken, the bottom left corner looks smeared/out of focus?
Ah, that could be. I actually was shooting other compositions when I quickly decided to do a vertical composition in this direction. Tripod mounted, but composed and shot very quickly and I wouldn't be surprised at all if I didn't get the DOF and focus point quite right.

I know on another board you just recently posted "Friends don't let friends pixel peep..." but at the risk of not being considered your friend here are links to full resolution versions of each photo:

Dead Wood Full Res

Moving Rock Full Res

Devil's Golf Course Full Res

If you are interested you can PM me and I'll be happy to put up the RAW files on a site for you to download so you can use your own processing/sharpening work flow (you seem a trustworthy guy :) ).

Ken

Rich M

I can't look....I can't look.....I can't look.......

Damn.......I just looked :bugeyes:

Oh well.....it was either this lens or the Leica 45mm macro......and that comes in tomorrow.

WHY do I come here????

m3photo

Re: Colour Processing

I'm not thrilled with the color processing on the third, ...
If I may be so bold ...
If you're using Photoshop simply try "Auto Colour". It does more than just adjust the colours and I wouldn't say it's perfect nine times out of ten but I run all my shots through the Auto Colour just to see what the program thinks and believe me, it saves a lot of wasted time in many instances and it's just a click away. It's one of those commands that because it includes the dreaded word "Auto" many disregard it with an "only-wimps-use-auto" attitude; wrong move :)

Brian Mosley

Ah, that could be. I actually was shooting other compositions when I quickly decided to do a vertical composition in this direction. Tripod mounted, but composed and shot very quickly and I wouldn't be surprised at all if I didn't get the DOF and focus point quite right.

I know on another board you just recently posted "Friends don't let friends pixel peep..." but at the risk of not being considered your friend here are links to full resolution versions of each photo:

Dead Wood Full Res

Moving Rock Full Res

Devil's Golf Course Full Res

If you are interested you can PM me and I'll be happy to put up the RAW files on a site for you to download so you can use your own processing/sharpening work flow (you seem a trustworthy guy :) ).

Ken
Hi Ken, you're very kind - these full size jpegs are fine... I can definitely see some smearing right in the corners, which is most obvious in the last shot.

It's good to know what to expect, I don't think it's a show stopper!

Cheers

Brian

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm seriously thinking of selling my 20 and my kit lens to buy this lens only. If I can find a 7-14 at a good price. I am pushing the 14mm on the kit lens to go wider every time and I'm not using the 20mm all that much. Of course this is my fun kit so it may not matter past 14mm but a 7-14 and new 45mm maybe the ticket.

I'm not after a fast lens like the 20mm. Anyone that may want to trade me let me know soon before my buy button starts itching again.

scho

Unsettled weather typical for late November here. Two shots with the 7-14 on the G1.