The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 with 7-14mm - show yours !!!!!

f6cvalkyrie

:D:D:D:D

I could not resist, and just ordered one from "I-Qju" over Ebay
For 1199$, or ca 950 Euro

Can't wait no longer, so I just prepared the topic :angel:

Rafael

:D:D:D:D

wjlapier

Those are great Brian. I'm very aware of how much work goes into building rock walls--we just finished one 110' long. Where are these shots taken? Looks like a place I'd like to take my daily strolls.

Interesting lens. I'll have a to keep an eye on this thread more.

S

Stimpy_7

Hello all,

I was just wondering if anyone had managed to find a review of this lens yet? Failing that, any further samples?

I'm very interested, it's just a shame it is so expensive :(

Adam

Brian Mosley

Hi Peter,

the extra fov given by the 7-14 vs 9-18 makes a dramatic difference... and combined with the potential for video makes the GH1 package very exciting. I wonder whether the Lumix 7-14 will CDAF during video shooting?

Kind Regards

Brian

V

Vivek

I was experimenting with the kitzoom and found out (nothing new) that it is much wider (I estimate it to be ~12mm FL, yes the distortions are there) when the contacts are disabled and the camera can not recognize the lens to do the in body corrections. Unfortunately, I snapped the cable that connects the circuitary inside the lens and the contact block. I could only use it at the widest aperture.

If anyone has the kitzoom and would like to experiment, try to block the contacts with tape selectively and figure out if you can make the aperture work while disabling the other functions. You need not open the lens for it and of course the risk is yours.

f6cvalkyrie

My 7-14 Pana lens is scheduled for delivery on Monday.

:cussing::cussing::cussing:Extra to the ca 1000 Euro of lens price, I will have to pay ca 320 Euro of VAT and import taxes :angry::angry::angry:

I'll post some pics as soon as I had the time to make them !!!

C U
rafael

R

Ranger 9

If anyone has the kitzoom and would like to experiment, try to block the contacts with tape selectively and figure out if you can make the aperture work while disabling the other functions. You need not open the lens for it and of course the risk is yours.
Has anyone succeeded in decoding the connector block yet?

All I've tried so far is putting a logic probe on it. I'm no expert at interpreting this kind of thing, but my impression was that rather than being a simple series of switched "signal pins" that perform specific functions, it's more like a data bus that carries digital pulses between the body and lens. If that's the case, it's going to be harder to tinker with it... although of course I hope I'm wrong!

Speaking of G1 electronics, does anyone know what type of plug is used for the remote-control connector? I'd like to whip up a cord so I can trigger it from a PocketWizard. I tried using a simple submini phono plug, and it seemed to fit but didn't operate. None of the stores locally carry the official Panasonic control, so I can't just go in and ask for a dekko.

M

milapse

Speaking of G1 electronics, does anyone know what type of plug is used for the remote-control connector? I'd like to whip up a cord so I can trigger it from a PocketWizard. I tried using a simple submini phono plug, and it seemed to fit but didn't operate. None of the stores locally carry the official Panasonic control, so I can't just go in and ask for a dekko.
I know all about this due to my 'timelapsyness'...

It's a 2.5mm 4-pole plug like so (probably due to the fact that they need external audio through this socket as well):

from further research I've found that only poles 3 and 4 (4 is probably the ground) are used for the lumix trigger and the camera is looking for a 2k ohm signal for shutter (5k for focus). So out of curiosity I rigged up a female 2.5mm 3pole to male 4 pole with a 2k resistor inline. Vola! If you close the circuit it triggers the shutter.

f6cvalkyrie

Hi,

my 7-14mm arrived this morning, as scheduled :D:D
So, I used my lunchbreak to go for a walk, and make some pictures, that I want to present to you in World Première :cool:

Most of these pics were made @ 7mm, and are hardly cropped
So far, I'm very pleased with this lens, and there's certainly more to come !

C U
rafael​

M

milapse

Looking good! I can't wait to get my hands on one... :)

You're in a beautiful area there! :thumbup:

woodyspedden

Hi,

my 7-14mm arrived this morning, as scheduled :D:D
So, I used my lunchbreak to go for a walk, and make some pictures, that I want to present to you in World Première :cool:

Most of these pics were made @ 7mm, and are hardly cropped
So far, I'm very pleased with this lens, and there's certainly more to come !

C U
rafael​
Wow!

You sure work in a beautiful place. Be inspired!!!

Woody