The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 compared to Nikon D700

Jeremy

Those of you with color problems, have you tried shooting a MacBeth chart and creating a custom profile for different lighting conditions for each camera?

Ben Rubinstein

The kelvin values set in camera are always going to vary wildly between different cameras. The only way to compare is when using the same point of reference in a raw converter to set the white balance off preferably a real WB card. It would be interesting to see a real comparison made like this. As I've said I don't have any personal interest in this fight but all these pics show me is that the Panny has better AWB, a setting that takes about a second to change in anhy raw converter.

woodyspedden

Let me put in my $.02 worth (factored for the recession). I am a full blown Nikon shooter and have been for many years. I find the D700 and D3 to be terrific cameras and for high ISO work there is no comparison elsewhere.

Having said that I bought a G1 specifically because I thought the color rendition was much better than that from Nikon (except for skin color which, it seems, is the bias Nikon has when setting up their color palette.) I wish to say it was a great experience but I could not adjust to using a camera with EVF only (and I admit that the G1 has perhaps the best EVF out there!). Praises be to those of you who can get along with it because, at a very low price, you have a fine image making kit.

I haven't yet seen the files from a D2X except for small jpegs on this forum. I suspect that having seen A900 files, and believe the sensor in both cameras to be very similar, the D2X will have more natural colors than the D3 unless Nikon biased the colors so that the D2X and the D3 look very similar (I hope not). If not I will be selling off a lot of my Nikon gear and moving on to the A900.

And the Canon is less natural to me than the Nikon. Don't like those files at all.

Woody

D

ddk

Having said that I bought a G1 specifically because I thought the color rendition was much better than that from Nikon (except for skin color which, it seems, is the bias Nikon has when setting up their color palette.) I wish to say it was a great experience but I could not adjust to using a camera with EVF only (and I admit that the G1 has perhaps the best EVF out there!). Praises be to those of you who can get along with it because, at a very low price, you have a fine image making kit.

Woody
The EVF is my only concern too, I'm very impressed by the G1 samples posted here and went ahead and placed a pre-order for the GH1 but I wonder if I can get along any better than you with an EVF, I can only hope so.

Lars

Re original post... yep it's tricky to draw relevant conclusions from two images like this.

Even if the same raw converter software is used for both images, it's still that software's color interpretation settings for each camera that creates the color palette. The makers of Raw Therapee have either made their own measurements or estimates of the G1 and D700, or they are trusting someone else's settings (likely DCRAW).

So the only conclusion that can be drawn is that using the presented workflow, G1 colors are more spot on than D700 colors. No conclusions can be drawn about the actual cameras.

Diane B

The EVF is my only concern too, I'm very impressed by the G1 samples posted here and went ahead and placed a pre-order for the GH1 but I wonder if I can get along any better than you with an EVF, I can only hope so.
David, some don't care for the EVF. I'm used to a decent VF (5D) for some years now, but I adapted quickly to the EVF--and wish at times I had one for my 5D LOL (as when I shoot with my tilt shift lens for instance). I'm not sure what others don't like about it--its not necessarily true for color but for composition (100%), focus--just terrific IMO. If you shoot action--you may not like it. For relatively static objects (i.e., not sports), I'm a fan of it--and never thought I would ever say that. If you are even considering using MF lenses--there's nothing else out there that even competes.

Diane

One recommendation I have is that if you want anything like 'natural' Nikon colour then you might want to consider comparing images rendered by Capture NX 2 vs your brand of raw converter. Not all conversions are equal, regardless of the camera but at least in the case of the Nikon software I personally find that it does the best job for colour (at the expense of speed/integration & other irritating factors alas).
I do not have the Capture NX 2 raw converter, nor do I want to learn an new raw converter. I use Raw Therapee as a do-it-all tool and it performs nicely for both the G1 and the Leica M8 and DMR.

I shall be glad to provide the original NEF if somebody wants to experiment with other than the Raw Therapee and show the results. I have invested quite some money in acquiring the D700 and wish I could get better results in term of color fidelity.