The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Black & White pics, show yours !!!

Diane B

I love b & w (I actually usually tone just a bit)--just haven't had the right subjects for the last bit to do more. Again--this is a very diverse thread subject wise and it always interests me to see how other people 'see' monos and process to their own vision.

And---thank you Jono.

Diane

Last edited:

Terry

Audi-Dudii - the series looks great. How are you doing the lighting? Doesn't seem just like street lights.

Audii-Dudii

Audi-Dudii - the series looks great. How are you doing the lighting? Doesn't seem just like street lights.
Thanks for the kind words! Superior is a moribund mining town about 60 miles east of Phoenix, Arizona and although I've been photographing there on-and-off since 1998, this is my first attempt at doing so at night. I decided to make "Superior after dark" my 2009 SoFoBoMo project and have shot there five nights so far this month, with another two or three visits planned before the end of May.

Except for the first photo, where the full moon is backlighting the unlit sign as well as providing the eerie glow around it, the only light sources in these photos are the street lights and building lights. The light they cast is a particularly hideous shade of yellow/green, which makes color images look fairly unattractive, but it creates a very stark and bold look when converted to B&W. Because the light levels are typically in the LV0-LV3 range, the exposures have all been in the 2-60 second range, with the aperture opened up as much as DoF will allow and shooting at ISO100 to keep the noise under control. I am truly surprised by how well this inexpensive camera (I paid just $549 for mine) handles these difficult situations. (I'm tempted to buy a box of B&W film and drag my 8x10 Toyo out there, but for now, I'm sticking with digital since it's both easier and less time consuming to work with on this project compared to film.)

Although this is still a work in progress and I've processed only a little over half of the images I've shot thus far, you can check out the rest of them at my Flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16926484@N05/sets/72157617979495513/

I am quite amazed of the high quality of the shots in this thread. It looks like limiting oneself to B+W brings out the best side of photographers