The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Black & White pics, show yours !!!

eleanorbrown

Tim, definitely post processing here. Cropped, then burned at corners/edges and blurred at edges, leaving center sharp. Then toned with a warm tone. I don't always do this but for this image I like the effect. Eleanor

That's very nice Eleanor - a romantic look, hard to achieve with that lens, which I find effective but usually quite prosaic! Was there something special you did in post?

Best

Tim

C

Chuck A

Re: The Chasers Chased

G1 - Kit lens at 14mm - 1/640 @ f/8 ISO 100
Great shot! Reminds me of Elliot Erwitt.:salute:

Can't see the photo in the reply but it is The Chase.

Last edited:
C

Chuck A

There is some really great work here and it looks like the 4/3 and m4/3 cameras are really inspiring people. It really shows in the work when you enjoy using your camera. Superb stuff!!!

m3photo

Re: Elliot Erwitt

Great shot! Reminds me of Elliot Erwitt.:salute:

Can't see the photo in the reply but it is The Chase.
Thank you very much indeed Chuck. This is a most welcome compliment to one who has always been a great admirer of Elliot Erwitt - especially the "wit" part!
I love his work with dogs and often have cause to remember his clever reasoning as to why dogs are happy to get into cars -"because they know they can´t be run over by one then"!

To paraphrase a comment left on your Favorites Photo Gallery page at pbase; "You referred me to your sight." (sic). Your work ("enjoyment" would be more fitting I believe) is right up my street and an inspiration. Grateful I am.

I thoroughly recommend many on this and other fora visit Chuck's "sight".

Last edited:
C

Chuck A

Re: Elliot Erwitt

Thank you very much indeed Chuck. This is a most welcome compliment to one who has always been a great admirer of Elliot Erwitt - especially the "wit" part!
I love his work with dogs and often have cause to remember his clever reasoning as to why dogs are happy to get into cars -"because they know they can´t be run over by one then"!

To paraphrase a comment left on your Favorites Photo Gallery page at pbase; "You referred me to your sight." (sic). Your work ("enjoyment" would be more fitting I believe) is right up my street and an inspiration. Grateful I am.

I thoroughly recommend many on this and other fora visit Chuck's "sight".
Erwitt's work is just a blast to view and it is a hoot to listen to his comments about his work and photography in general. He has always inspired me with his unpretentious, no nonsense attitude toward photography.

Thanks for visiting and recommending my site. I am on Pbase now but am currently building a more personal site. Do you have a collection on the web somewhere to view?

Again, cudos on the photo. It is a gem. What would you charge for an 8x10 or 11x14 sized print. Signed of course.

m3photo

Correspondence

Do you have a collection on the web somewhere to view?
What would you charge for an 8x10 or 11x14 sized print.
I do, in fact there are coincidental trains of thought - your "Communication?" versus my "another generation" to name but one. Here's the link to my "sight":
http://www.pbase.com/m3photo

I would gladly swap for one of yours. I suggest PM's for the rest so as not to distract from the forum ...

JBurnett

I'm not sure why, but the G1 has me seeing B&W possibilities more. (Apologies to some of you who may have seen these in other forums).

G1 + Lumix 45-200mm at 56mm f8:

G1 + Canon FD 50mm f1.4 at about f4:

G1 + Olympus 35mm f3.5 Macro at f16:

G1 + Rokkor 40mm f2 (m-mount) at f2.8:

davemillier

Superb!

I'm not sure why, but the G1 has me seeing B&W possibilities more. (Apologies to some of you who may have seen these in other forums).

m3photo

Apologies? ....

... you must be kidding! Lovely images they are.
I quite agree with the G1 being an excellent B&W machine, I mentioned a while back that its rendering of clouds is outstanding too for monochrome.
Keep 'em coming.

Mike Woods

Don't post as much as I would like to/should, but here's a recent one from the E-3/12-60, ISO 400 processed in LR:

Regards

Mike

Leica 77

Great monochrome images, J Burnett! I also say "superb" as davemillier previously mentioned, and I see lots of possibilities as you wrote. Best regards, Leica 77 :)

Diane B

I love all of them--but this one really takes my breath away. I just love it. I'd love to see a print of it too. Beautiful.

Diane

f6cvalkyrie

some B/w conversions from shots I took last week :

All G1 with 45-200mm lens
B/W conversion in Silkypix
Sepia toning in PSPro

C U
Rafael

Last edited:

JBurnett

Thank you for the compliments, Dave, M3Photo, Leica77 and Diane. Diane, I have been experimenting with prints, most recently with Epson Ultra Premium matte stock, which is much cheaper than the lustre I'm used to. I quite like it for some B&W and for some very saturated color work, but not for all.

I wish I had more time to shoot and money to print!

Very interesting photos, Dave, Diane, Leica77, Mike, Rafael. As different in style as they are, they all show the possibilities of this format to achieve aesthetic statements that had been neglected in the era of all-color photography and P+S
Cheers
Peter

P

panzerneo

I love all of them--but this one really takes my breath away. I just love it. I'd love to see a print of it too. Beautiful.

Diane
Just wondering, what kind of printer do you guys use to print in B&W?
Do you use a regular color printer? I've read on the Luminous Landscape that it is better to use a secondary printer whose 'colors' have been replaced by cartridges with B&W dye (or pigments) instead, for more accuracy.
Any experience with that kind of setup?

Diane B

panzerneo, I use an Epson 3800 (K3 inkset/pigmented--there is a newer one with a more vibrant magenta I believe). Before this set of b & w inks (I have a 2200 and 1280 also--dye based), there were issues with bronzing on lusters and glossy and especially metamerism on all papers (depending upon the light, the print would have reddish or greenish tones--never neutral).

I'm suprised you read that---if I'm not wrong, I believe Michael (Reichmann) prints with the latest Epsons (and he was printing with an HP also I believe--not sure what the status of that is) and their (LL's) quite good 'Camera to Print' tutorials were done with Epson printers. I don't have experience with the Canons or HPs but my understanding is that they all now are very good with mono printing.

In the past, to get good b & w printing, you bought new b & w inksets to replace the color inks--there were various sets and blends depending upon your preference--or used RIPs like the Quadtone RIP (which I used rather than a dedicated inkset---it can also be used with dedicated inksets http://www.quadtonerip.com/html/QTRoverview.html ). Carl Schofield here on the forum has extensive experience with b & w printing so perhaps can give you more information. I will say I love my prints from my 3800. I use a fine art matte plus a baryta (I happen to use Ilford Gold Silk) and the Epson Exhibition Fiber and Innova Fiberprint Satin plus a luster on a roll for panos.

This is a very good group for those that like to print mono--lots of technical info--and opinions too *smile*. http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint/

Diane

scho

I still use an Epson 1800 with custom B&W inks and QTR for making small pure carbon ink prints on rag papers, but all of my large format B&W printing is now done with a color managed workflow using Canon Lucia pigment inks and a Canon iPF6100. I just use the Canon 16 bit driver and one custom color icc profile per paper for both neutral grayscale and toned B&W work (and of course color as well). No RIP or special B&W mode needed to get perfectly neutral B&W with the Canon using this simple workflow.