The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Black & White pics, show yours !!!

JBurnett

Thanks John. I shoots 'em as I find 'em.
There's a story about Karsh's iconic photo of Winston Churchill (the one with him scowling at the viewer) -- the picture was taken immediately after Karsh strode up to the great man and removed the cigar from his mouth! Apocryphal story or not, the final image certainly suggests that's how it might have happened! :)

RonSmith

There's a story about Karsh's iconic photo of Winston Churchill (the one with him scowling at the viewer) -- the picture was taken immediately after Karsh strode up to the great man and removed the cigar from his mouth! Apocryphal story or not, the final image certainly suggests that's how it might have happened! :)
I've heard that story ... and believe it could very well have been true.

I met Karsh at a book signing around 1977 and even took his picture. I have to check through my negatives to see if I scanned that one yet. I'll post it when I find it.

fordfanjpn

Nice shot and B&W editing, Ron.

Bill, that's a killer combo. Did you use in-camera B&W or you PP'ed the images? They have a lot of contrast, like the dynamic B&W produced by the G1/GF1.
Those are both jpeg's right out of the camera. All I did was crop the one on the right.

Bill

D

Devon Shaw

E-P1 with Oly 17mm

With Canon Serenar 85mm f/2.0 LTM

With Telesar 135mm f/3.5

Tullio

Very cool shots, Devon. I like the second one in particular.

Here's another one taken with the Oly 510

A

awty

E-p1 16:9 format, red filter on both. First kit lens, second Nikon AI 50mm

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Tree on tip-toes...
Very nice. Interesting subject, nice B&W treatment and composition. If I have one nit it's perhaps a tad over burned on the edges and not quite bright enough in the center, but might be a result of the web jpegging.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
A bit of grainy black and white stuff (Olympus E-P1 with Panny 20mm f/1.7 at f/8 for 20 seconds, ISO200)
I like this one a lot too. GREAT composition and nice B&W treatment. I brought it into CS and burned the bench down to more the level of the tree and like it better -- you might want to try for yourself and see what you think, clearly a personal choice. Any way, nice work!

JBurnett

Very nice. Interesting subject, nice B&W treatment and composition. If I have one nit it's perhaps a tad over burned on the edges and not quite bright enough in the center, but might be a result of the web jpegging.
Thank-you, Jack. Yeah, I probably overdid the edges. I do most of my editing on a system that matches my printer, but most of my web surfing and correspondence on a notebook that has a rather typical TN screen from about 3 years ago, and limited adjustment. Sometimes I look at my shots on the laptop and wince, but know that I can get a pretty good print.

I found the subject tree very interesting, but struggled with getting the kind of separation from the background that I wanted. In this neck of the woods (and in this season) there is just so much detail fighting for attention (this was the 20mm at f/2 BTW). So it's nice to know that others might find the result interesting. Thanks for commenting!

D

Devon Shaw

Thanks Tullio.

Brian, thanks for the nice comment. I've actually just started using the 17mm again over the last few days. I took it as my only lens on a 73 mile backpacking trip over the summer and since then have been using primarily only legacy lenses (50mm, 85mm, and 135mm) and the 14-42 for studio work. Starting to use it again has certainly renewed my appreciation for the wider view of the world it offers. I'm a high school student and currently working on my portfolio for AP Studio Art so all comments are greatly appreciated.
-Devon