The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Black & White pics, show yours !!!

kweide

Parvati, she is !

Olympus E-5, Sigma 50 DG EX HSM, noNR
ISO200 @ f 1.4, 1/250 second, 50 mm focal length​

kweide

It was her day
and she enjoyed each second !

Olympus E-5, Zuiko 12-60SWD, noNR
ISO400 @f8, 1/125 second, 60 mm focal length​

kweide

Up and down the Torre Guinigi
One main attraction of Lucca. It has trees on top

Olympus E-P3, Zuiko12 mm,noNR
ISO2500 @ f8, 1/30 second, 12 mm focal lenght

ISO2500 and the original RAW was clean ! I had to add noise to achieve the anaolg Ilford look.

I went to the Deep Ellum Arts Festival in Dallas last night. I only took one camera and one lens and decided to shoot in B&W. Here are two from the GH2 and the Leica 25mm

I love the look of your images. Are you HDR-ing or something?

Bill
Bill, I will have to document what I do.. of course every photo is different but what I most often do is adjust contrast via tone mapping. I don't use any HDR programs. There are a number of plugins for Photoshop that will handle the tone mapping for you... but.....

Here is a link to an article that got me started with tone mapping emulation just using the tools that come with Photoshop: Tone Mapping Emulation - Tutorials

Using the above method takes longer but does not require a plugin or other software.. You can automate the process to a degree using an action but once you've done it a time or two it's pretty simple to do by hand.

Of course I also dodge and burn and use adjustment layers such as curves. I use the B&W adjustment layer quite often rather than converting from color to B&W during the RAW process.

fordfanjpn

Bill, I will have to document what I do.. of course every photo is different but what I most often do is adjust contrast via tone mapping. I don't use any HDR programs. There are a number of plugins for Photoshop that will handle the tone mapping for you... but.....

Here is a link to an article that got me started with tone mapping emulation just using the tools that come with Photoshop: Tone Mapping Emulation - Tutorials

Using the above method takes longer but does not require a plugin or other software.. You can automate the process to a degree using an action but once you've done it a time or two it's pretty simple to do by hand.

Of course I also dodge and burn and use adjustment layers such as curves. I use the B&W adjustment layer quite often rather than converting from color to B&W during the RAW process.
Thanks a lot Jim. I'll check out that tutorial now. I appreciate the detailed response. Looks like I have some homework to do now. :eek:

Bill

Thanks a lot Jim. I'll check out that tutorial now. I appreciate the detailed response. Looks like I have some homework to do now. :eek:

Bill
Bill, one other note. NIK software Silver EFEX Pro 2 may be the best solution. I had the original version of that software several years ago and it does a great job, especially with the tonal contrast adjustment tool. It is a bit pricey but probably will allow you to achieve the same results I get without having to do it all by hand. I was using the demo version. I suggest you download the demo from their website and play with it. They offer a 15 day trial. You can get it here: The World's Leading Black and White Software

One thing I forgot to mention is that I add "glow" to many of my B&W shots, just a touch of it, not to much, and it is probably why some say the photo looks like a painting.. it has a smoothing effect, a characteristic that I really like on B&W shots.

fordfanjpn

Bill, one other note. NIK software Silver EFEX Pro 2 may be the best solution. I had the original version of that software several years ago and it does a great job, especially with the tonal contrast adjustment tool. It is a bit pricey but probably will allow you to achieve the same results I get without having to do it all by hand. I was using the demo version. I suggest you download the demo from their website and play with it. They offer a 15 day trial. You can get it here: The World's Leading Black and White Software

One thing I forgot to mention is that I add "glow" to many of my B&W shots, just a touch of it, not to much, and it is probably why some say the photo looks like a painting.. it has a smoothing effect, a characteristic that I really like on B&W shots.
Thanks Jim. I actually have Silver Efex Pro, but I haven't really experimented with the different settings. I guess I should do that. And thanks for the tip on adding "glow." I'll definitely try that too. I appreciate all the help.

Bill

kweide

Attack
The crawling attack from the ground

Olympus E-5, Summilux 25, noNR
ISO100 @ f1.6, 1/50 second, 25 mm focal length​