The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

c*net reviews GH1 -- slower?

R

Ranger 9

C*net's review of the Panasonic GH1 is out; see here.

One interesting factoid I noticed is that, down in the graph section, they seem to be claiming noticeably longer start-up time and slower shot-to-shot performance compared to the G1.

(Their reviewer also thought, subjectively, that the G1's high-ISO results looked a bit better than the GH1's, but that's an imponderable at this stage...)

The differences seem small, and I can see how the GH1 might take a bit longer to fire up, given its extra video overhead (longer self-test at boot time) and be fractionally slower from shot to shot because of its larger sensor (more data to read)... but I also wonder whether it might be due to some quirk in their test methodology, or differences between the as-tested lenses, or something else...?

Jonas

Isn't there something strange with the test method, or the presentation, if the "shutter lag" is different in bright and dim light respectively. From that I just understand I don't know what "shutter lag" is.

I also don't get the 0.9 second figure given for shot-to-shot timing. I don't have my G1 here right now but it certainly fires away a bit faster than that?

It doesn't matter much though, not to me and my needs at least. I knew before buying the G1 that it wasn't made for machine-gunning. When out taking images I also seldom turn the camera off. The start-up time in real life is very short that way and the camera is ready for use when I got it up in shooting position.

I have never read a C-net review earlier. I'm happy to see they notice the weak blue channel the G1 (and obviously the GH1 from samples I have seen) suffer from, but I don't know how to interpret their comments, what levels they are talking about and so on.

Thank you for the link.

R

Ranger 9

Isn't there something strange with the test method, or the presentation, if the "shutter lag" is different in bright and dim light respectively. From that I just understand I don't know what "shutter lag" is.
That's the tricky thing about reviews. If they include AF time, then "shutter lag" easily could be a lot longer in dim light, as the camera struggles to confirm focus. On the other hand, if they use a purely electrical measurement of the time that elapses between the shutter-firing impulse and the actual opening of the shutter, then their results won't necessarily correlate with an average user's real-world experience.

I don't know how c*net does their measurements, and I couldn't find any footnotes or methodology to explain it, which seems a bit casual on their part... then again, people who rely on c*net reviews probably are gadget buffs or computer techno-heads, rather than photography enthusiasts like most of us...