The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

has anyone here ever tried this ??

f6cvalkyrie

Hi,

I still have an SINAR f viewcamera in a big box here. I didn't use it since at least 20 years, but now I see that one can adapt a Nikon camera to it.
And since I have a way of adapting Nikon lenses to my G1, wouldn't this be the way to use my G1 as a digital back on the SINAR ????

http://cgi.ebay.com/Moveable-Camera...wItemQQimsxZ20090516?IMSfp=TL090516124008r890

What should I expect ? Extreme tele-effect (I have two lenses, a 150mm and a 210mm, and considering the crop factor from 4x5 inch to 4/3 :eek:)
Do you think it could focus on infinity ??

Really, if that would work, that would be great fun and another proof of the immense versatility of the G1.

C U
Rafael

scho

Hi,

I still have an SINAR f viewcamera in a big box here. I didn't use it since at least 20 years, but now I see that one can adapt a Nikon camera to it.
And since I have a way of adapting Nikon lenses to my G1, wouldn't this be the way to use my G1 as a digital back on the SINAR ????

http://cgi.ebay.com/Moveable-Camera...wItemQQimsxZ20090516?IMSfp=TL090516124008r890

What should I expect ? Extreme tele-effect (I have two lenses, a 150mm and a 210mm, and considering the crop factor from 4x5 inch to 4/3 :eek:)

Really, if that would work, that would be great fun and another proof of the immense versatility of the G1.

C U
Rafael
I'd be interested in something like this also. I haven't used my 4x5 for a few years and still have a nice Rodenstock Sironar S 135. Unfortunately I don't have a wide lens which might be better. Here is another adapter for either Canon or Nikon:
http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=2859

Carl

Last edited:
P

PeterLeyssens

Hi,
(...)wouldn't this be the way to use my G1 as a digital back on the SINAR ????
(...)What should I expect ? Extreme tele-effect (I have two lenses, a 150mm and a 210mm, and considering the crop factor from 4x5 inch to 4/3 :eek:)
This is just what I was referring to when I started my other thread about fitting lenses for extremely different sensor sizes to the G1. That 150 should be about a 45mm on 35mm film, and the 210 should be about 65mm. So you'll be using the extreme center of both lenses. I'm very curious to see if the resolution of the lens can manage that kind of abuse !

Post pictures quickly :)

I was thinking today of making a kind of rubber funnel that would hold any lens through friction, including projector and enlarger lenses. It's just a concept and probably won't work in real life, though. But I've been called crazy before when using toilet paper rolls as extenders for macro photography, so why not ? ;)

Peter.

E

elf

Hi,

C U
Rafael
One of the big problems fitting DSLRs is the grip sticks out quite a bit. The Nikon adaptor on the G1 should extend out past the grip, so I would expect it to work well. The tilts and swings are much more interesting than shifts (at least to me), so I would also look at adapting other lens from 35mm to MF to the Sinar.

f6cvalkyrie

One of the big problems fitting DSLRs is the grip sticks out quite a bit. The Nikon adaptor on the G1 should extend out past the grip, so I would expect it to work well.
I just checked this, and the combination of the DMW-MA1 and the fotodiox Nikon-4/3 adaptor sticks out a few millimeters furthers than the grip.
So, I would also expect it to be, at least mechanically, adaptable.

I might well order one today, after all, it's rather inexpensive and could open the doors to a lot of fun :D

C U,
Rafael

Audii-Dudii

That 150 should be about a 45mm on 35mm film, and the 210 should be about 65mm.
Huh? A focal length of 150mm is 150mm regardless of the format onto which its image circle is being projected. Given the 4/3 format's 2X multiplication factor, a 150mm lens will have the same angle of view as a 300mm lens (and a 210mm lens will mimic a 420mm lens).

Audii-Dudii

I successfully used my DMC-L1 as a poor-man's digital back on my Toyo 2x3 and 4x5 view cameras. It does indeed work well enough with longer focal length lenses, but as my vision is such that I tend more toward normal and wide-angle lenses, I wasn't as happy with it as I'd hoped. I also learned that many of what pass as high-resolution lenses for the 4x5 format aren't nearly as high in resolution when used for the 4/3 format. :-(

That said, except for the stupid grip on the right side of the camera (why, oh why, did Panasonic style the G1 as a faux-DSLR?), the G1 is much better suited to this application than the L1 or any other 4/3-format camera. I haven't yet tried it on my Toyo 2x3, but I think by positioning it vertically and offset-mounting it on the lensboard, I may be able to get the grip to clear the top of the rear standard, giving me more clearance between the rear lens element and the camera body. This is critical, because the biggest problem I had with my L1 in this application was the rear lens element coming into contact with the lens mounting ring before infinity focus was achieved.

I hope to get around to trying this setup in the next few weeks and will post back once I have.

f6cvalkyrie

Focal length being focal length, what we need to consider is the crop factor !
and that is "diagonal of 4x5 / diagonal of 4/3" or 162/22.28 = 7.27 !
(source, and an excellent read : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_factor)

Thus, the 150mm lens will have the effect of a 1090mm on the G1 sensor, and the 210mm will look like a 1526mm.

I bought one adaptor today, so if the combination works well and focusses to infinity, get ready for some decent moonshots :D:D:D

C U,
Rafael

P

PeterLeyssens

Focal length being focal length, what we need to consider is the crop factor !
and that is "diagonal of 4x5 / diagonal of 4/3" or 162/22.28 = 7.27 !

Thus, the 150mm lens will have the effect of a 1090mm on the G1 sensor, and the 210mm will look like a 1526mm.
1526mm what ? You aren't giving your reference bases, so your numbers have no meaning. You should compare apples to apples. Let's convert everything to 35mm EFV and see what the result is.

If the crop factor between 4x5 and 4/3 is 7.27, then the crop factor between 4x5 and 35mm is about 3.6. Of course, we know 4/3 to 35mm is factor 2.

When we talk about a 150mm lens, we know it's a tele on a 35mm system. A 150mm lens on a 4/3 will be a tele that's twice as long. But on 4x5, it will be 3.6 times shorter, so it's a wide normal (comparable to about 41.5mm on 35mm EFV).

The 210mm is a rather long tele on 35mm, a twice as long tele on 4/3 and on 4x5mm a very short tele that's comparable to about 60mm EFV.

Peter.

f6cvalkyrie

The basis is 4x5, of course, Peter, I have not been talking about any other format.

So the picture I will capture on the G1 will look like made with 1090 cq 1526 if it were made on 4x5

C U,
Rafael

P

PeterLeyssens

So the picture I will capture on the G1 will look like made with 1090 cq 1526 if it were made on 4x5
Yes, true. I just don't know what to expect from an x mm lens on 4x5, so I convert to 35mm EFV to make it easy on myself. The 210mm will be 420EFV when used on the G1, which gives a FOV of about 6 degrees, which is comparable to a 1500mm lens for a 4x5 camera, indeed.

Since the moon is half an arc angle, you'll get the moon as about 1/10 horizontally and 1/7 vertically. with the 210mm Not bad :) If you want it to fill your frame, you'd need a 4/3 lens of about 1200mm, which corresponds to a 2400mm lens on 35mm or a 7750mm lens on a 4x5 camera :ROTFL:

Peter.

f6cvalkyrie

The only unknown here, Peter, is the role of the MTF of the lenses, so how good will be the image that the optics throw on the G1 sensor :confused:

Will it make sense on a 3000x4000 px sensor ??

But, it will be a fun experiment :D

Rafael

P

PeterLeyssens

The only unknown here, Peter, is the role of the MTF of the lenses, so how good will be the image that the optics throw on the G1 sensor :confused:
Exactly ! That's what I meant when I wrote:

"So you'll be using the extreme center of both lenses. I'm very curious to see if the resolution of the lens can manage that kind of abuse !"

But, it will be a fun experiment :D
Absolutely ! I'm looking forward to the results as much as you are. Remember that, because the image circle of the 4x5 lenses is much larger than the sensor of the G1, so you can shift it a lot. You'll have to watch the angle of the light, though: if it isn't straight, you may get vignetting.

If the Oly announcements are good, I will probably get myself one of their mft cameras and start playing around, too :)

Peter.

E

elf

The basis is 4x5, of course, Peter, I have not been talking about any other format.

C U,
Rafael
My Mamiya 645 80mm takes the same image that my Olmpus 40-150mm at 80mm takes. The big difference is that I can shoot a 16+ frame panorama using shifts. The panorama will look very nearly the same as a single image taken with a Mamiy 645.

f6cvalkyrie

Ladies and Gentlemen, we proudly present to you, the first pics of this funny combination !

Setup : G1 with 4/3 adaptor, then the Fotodiox 4/3 to Nikon, then the nikon to SINAR plate.
Lens : Rodenstock Sironar-N MC 210mm f5.6
This lens is in a Copal #1 shutter, but I don't use it here, the G1 determines the exposure

iso400 1/25 f22

iso100 1/30 f5.6 (Scheimpflug applied)

C U,
Rafael

scho

Ladies and Gentlemen, we proudly present to you, the first pics of this funny combination !

Setup : G1 with 4/3 adaptor, then the Fotodiox 4/3 to Nikon, then the nikon to SINAR plate.
Lens : Rodenstock Sironar-N MC 210mm f5.6
This lens is in a Copal #1 shutter, but I don't use it here, the G1 determines the exposure

iso100 1/30 f5.6 (Scheimpflug applied)

C U,
Rafael
Looks good. Macro with tilt :thumbup: What was distance to the flower and how did the LCD work out for focusing?

f6cvalkyrie

Looks good. Macro with tilt :thumbup: What was distance to the flower and how did the LCD work out for focusing?
Hi !

The distance to the flowers was ca 1.5m in both cases.
The LCD is great for focusing, especially when you combine the 5x magnification with the micro-focusing knob of the SINAR. Other viewcameras might be more difficult (cq shaky), but with the SINAR it's really easy.
The most difficult part is to find your subject, since you have no more mattglass to find it ! :LOL:

Also, exposure is really perfect, had to apply almost no corrections.

C U,
Rafael

Michiel Schierbeek

Interesting Rafael. The photos look very creamy, but attractive with a nice bokeh background. Did you do a lot of sharpening in PP? Would like to see a snapshot of this setup. :clap:
Salut, michiel