The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic to make M & R adaptors for G1!

C

CharlieH

I wish they would allow you you to turn on focus assist using the film mode button -- a button I never touch. Seems like it could be reprogrammed easily enough to let you choose the function of a button. Halfway down on the shutter release wouldn't work because you would jump to focus assist every time you tried to take a picture.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I hope Brian Mosley will comment on this topic. I remember, a while ago, he was gathering some info of user preferences on manual focus lens on G1 to provide some feedback to Panasonic for future improvements.

Kind regards,

jlm

Workshop Member
it is possible the pano adapter could make electrical contact with the body contacts and thus be detected. none of the aftermarket adapters do this

V

valtof

Halfway down on the shutter release wouldn't work because you would jump to focus assist every time you tried to take a picture.
Ooops ! You're totally right, I didn't think of that (shame).
But anyway, using that or that other button than the shutter is really a pain for such a fundamental feature : focusing...
Moreover, there is an ergonomic trick, coming from the computer world, that could perfectly work IMO on a camera button : the double halfway press, like the mouse double click.
Simple halfway press : keep the exposure ;
Double halfway press : MF assist on ;
Re-simple halfway press : MF assist off ;

May be to complicated or too specific... Or may be because I play piano, it sounds to me like an evidence !

M

marknorton

Certainly an interesting development, especially if Panasonic can add value by having access to the camera's firmware.

I very much enjoy being able to focus M lenses through the lens and macro is much better than on an M with an OUTRO and a 75mm Summicron or 90mm Elmar.

I'm interested that others here haven't seen the poor edge performance. The IQ I've seen with a 28mm Summicron is not going to win any prizes... What's your secret??

Jonas

I'm interested that others here haven't seen the poor edge performance. The IQ I've seen with a 28mm Summicron is not going to win any prizes... What's your secret??
The poor edge performance has been discussed. Sometimes the discussion went a bit strange... as we, as usual, use our cameras for different things and have different demands.

In short the consensus is that many of the wide angle lenses does produce smeared borders when used with the G1. Here WA is around 28mm and shorter.

For the 35mm lenses the opinions differ.

For 50 and longer the consensus seem to be that they all (?) work.

Then we have exceptions; the CV28/2 Ultron makes ugly smearing (me and Carl). The CV28/1.9 does not (Cindy).

And then we have all the personal takes on it: I don't see, I see, OK, I see but it doesn't matter, I shoot 16:9 and then it is fine, It is fine at infinity, For dark pub portraits... who cares about the corners, The smearing is obtrusive and so on. In my opinion all valid opinion and reflections - but not always true for everybody.

BTW; Cosina also make M-mount to µ4/3 adapters. They happily announce the adapters to be compatible with all their lenses...

Cheers, /Jonas

pellicle

It's also interesting that "These adaptors also allow users to use the movable MF assist function,
its interesting wording, I expect that it allows nothing more than the camera functions used by existing adaptors do which can also use the moveable MF assist function. I don't think it will activate 'by wire' as do the electronic lenses.

cap'n bill

I wish they would allow you you to turn on focus assist using the film mode button -- a button I never touch. Seems like it could be reprogrammed easily enough to let you choose the function of a button. Halfway down on the shutter release wouldn't work because you would jump to focus assist every time you tried to take a picture.
This would be be my preferred option. The film type could be relegated to the main menu, it's not something that needs immediate or frequent access.

Arne Hvaring

Certainly an interesting development, especially if Panasonic can add value by having access to the camera's firmware.

I very much enjoy being able to focus M lenses through the lens and macro is much better than on an M with an OUTRO and a 75mm Summicron or 90mm Elmar.

Yes, it's curious. I can verify that the Zeiss ZM 25 mm (a "normal" FL on m4:3) does indeed smear the edges, and that's one of the reasons I haven't bothered much with Leica M-lenses on the G1. However, R-lenses with their much longer flange/focal distance might work, for instance my 19mm Elmarit-R (which really isn't that great at the edges at FF), the excellent 28mm Elmarit-R or the 180/2 Apo-Summicron would certainly be worth trying.

pentacon6

Let's reverse the logic. If Panasonic wanna produce the adapter with her partner, does it mean Leica will produce a clone G1 in the near future? Will there be something called Glux -1? This is a heritage of the sisterhood in production line. I just wonder there will be a titanium body with a external hand grip as Dlux4. :D

It is quite terrible that I can have a Leica M to G1 adapter as low as $68 USD in Hong Kong and of course, higher price for Leica R mount. This move seems so weak to draw attention from G1 fans. I hope there will be a bundle of G1 body + Leica M/R adapter. This should boost the sales. :ROTFL:

m3photo

Re: Panasonic and Leica Policies

Let's reverse the logic. This move seems so weak to draw attention from G1 fans.
I couldn't quite understand this either. It draws sales away from their micro four thirds lenses which are late in arriving on the market to boot. The 20mm example will have to sell for peanuts if and when they finally release it, as by then supposedly many will have heard of the adapter/second-hand lens route.
Could it be now that the "marketing-masterminds" at Panasonic have changed track and are thinking way ahead (video) and the simple G1 is just an initial stepping stone to be discontinued shortly to make way for more GH1 type combo-cameras? Could this indeed mean (hopefully)* that the micro four-thirds still camera idea becomes Leica-only territory?

*hopefully as in quality, not as in Leica prices, alas.

R

Ranger 9

I couldn't quite understand this either. It draws sales away from their micro four thirds lenses which are late in arriving on the market to boot.
It makes perfect sense to me as a way to sell a G1 or GH1 as a supplementary camera to the well-monied gents who already have an extensive M and/or R lens collection. Not everyone is as enthusiastic as we are about reading up on adapters in forums, buying from third-party Chinese vendors, etc; some of those conservative M/R lens owners probably will be more comfortable with a "factory-supported" solution. At any rate, it's easy enough to add the adapters to the product line; if that's all it takes to snag some incremental camera-body sales, why not pick up that extra money?

The 20mm example will have to sell for peanuts if and when they finally release it, as by then supposedly many will have heard of the adapter/second-hand lens route.
Don't underestimate the advantage of autofocus for many users. I'll probably want the 20 myself for that specific reason, even though I'm up to the kazoo in adapters.

Also, if you need a 20mm lens, the adapter/second-hand-lens route has a lot of potholes in it. If you buy a C-mount lens, you've got to deal with sensor coverage issues, the possible need for machining the mount, the possibility of "corner smearing," and in some cases awkward ergonomics. If you buy an M-mount lens, well, none of the 20/21mm options are exactly cheap, especially after you've added the cost of the adapter. If you buy an SLR lens plus adapter, you've negated the Micro Four Thirds advantage of compact size.

Could it be now that the "marketing-masterminds" at Panasonic have changed track and are thinking way ahead (video) and the simple G1 is just an initial stepping stone to be discontinued shortly to make way for more GH1 type combo-cameras? Could this indeed mean (hopefully)* that the micro four-thirds still camera idea becomes Leica-only territory?
I think that's a rather long, tenuous bridge of speculation... although it wouldn't surprise me if the GH1 eventually supplants the G1 entirely, especially if manufacturing costs are similar and if the GH1 is such a hit that they need the manufacturing capacity.

On the other hand, since they've already made the upfront investment in the G1 and since it has gotten some positive attention (Pop Photo Camera of the Year, for example) it would make sense to keep it in the lineup so they could offer a lower-cost model to people who aren't interested in video.

Diane B

I couldn't quite understand this either. It draws sales away from their micro four thirds lenses which are late in arriving on the market to boot. The 20mm example will have to sell for peanuts if and when they finally release it, as by then supposedly many will have heard of the adapter/second-hand lens route.

I shoot a great deal with MF lenses, but would really like a fast AF lens in this range. MF lenses in 20 f/1.7 range are pretty pricey--and generally bigger than I expect (from pics) this to be (concurring with Ranger's post). I can't afford Leica lenses--and, even so, still not AF, so I think there's lots of room for us others *smile*.

Diane

jonoslack

I Could this indeed mean (hopefully)* that the micro four-thirds still camera idea becomes Leica-only territory?

Don't forget Olympus - they certainly show every sign of making a Pen F lookalike, and they're scheduled to bring out 5 lenses as I understand it as well.

pentacon6

Don't forget Olympus - they certainly show every sign of making a Pen F lookalike, and they're scheduled to bring out 5 lenses as I understand it as well.
yes, this will be the star of the second half year. Video is a must in spec.
My friend's friend try it already. Not a suprising comment: must buy.

m3photo

Ranger, Diane and Jono

Better points than mine all round. I hadn't thought of it this way (these ways) - ah, constructive discussion; nothing better. Thank you.