Site Sponsors

Thread: Olympus Pen teaser

Post Thanks / Like

Olympus Pen teaser

Looks like Olympus is dribbling out the announcement - next update May 26th.

http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/prod...l/pen50th/pen/
    Bob Trancho

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Olympus Pen teaser

Great Teaser!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've been tracking this and the rumor mills place the actual launch of the Olympus PEN G Digital at June 15.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

Clone it, everyone should love it.

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    I've been tracking this and the rumor mills place the actual launch of the Olympus PEN G Digital at June 15.
    If they continue to update the teaser every two days, there are 12 day-pairs between May 24 and June 15 (Monday) inclusive.

There are 19 compact Pen models and four F-series SLR models, but some are fairly obscure variants such as the Pen F microscope camera and the ones for Agfa Rapid cassettes, and others are very similar to each other except for minor features. The way I'd count, there are eight basic series:

-- Original Pen
    -- Pen S (f/2.8 model and f/3.5 model)
    -- Pen D (faster lens, wider shutter speed range)
    -- Pen W (black finish, 25mm lens)
    -- Pen EM (motorized; troublesome, so they might skip it)
    -- Pen EE series (auto exposure)
    -- Pen F SLR
    -- Pen FV/FT SLR (same camera except FT has dorky TTL meter)

That means that if they update the teaser with a new model every two days, they would run out of vintage Pen models on Sunday, June 7. So maybe by then they'll be ready to stop teasing...

Post Thanks / Like

I just happened to hover my pen (Wacom) over where it says 'next update May 26th' and it says 'next update June 16, 2009'---significant?

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did not bother to look. I will see if they manage to come with a working model one of these days.

Olympus: save the curtains and the tobacco tin mock-ups.

Post Thanks / Like

Having been through the mockups before (waiting after the E20 for 'whatever') that resulted in me leaving Oly, I think they do the strangest things--the curtains at PMA, the orange fabric insert mockup (the tobacco tin) and now these. Its annoying--at least to me--rather than 'teasing'. Still--I'm curious as to what they WILL finally do--primarily for lenses rather than the camera body that I suspect won't tempt me this go round.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Dribble number two - the Pen EE
    Bob Trancho

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK the first was cute but the spacing leaves room for 5 installments which is annoying.

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    OK the first was cute but the spacing leaves room for 5 installments which is annoying.
    It looks as if they're following the Pen model breakdown on their Pen history page, which includes seven model groups... so conceivably they could stretch it out even longer. (The bar under the media player could become a scroller to allow more teases.)

I also want to point out that, even though the collective wishful thinking of the photo-forum community has ordained that Olympus will introduce a tiny but feature-packed "digital Pen FT" type of camera, so far their campaign has been giving lots of loving attention to the minimal, feature-sparse scale-focusing Pens. For example, today's feature camera, the Pen EE, had a fixed 1/60 sec shutter speed and three-zone focusing!

If that's the design philosophy that Olympus plans to follow (which would make a lot of sense as a way of differentiating their offerings from those of Panasonic) then a lot of gadget freaks are going to be disappointed...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mmm - nice to look at I think, although most of us don't really like being 'teased'.

What really impresses me about Olympus is that they do seem to be able to keep a secret - everything else seems to be leaked out before the launch, there must be some terrible threats

Incidentally, I thought the orange inserts on the tobacco tin were leather not fabric (FWIW - not much I guess)

Still, I think we know pretty much what we're going to get - here's my take:

1. camera about the same size as Canon G10 (possibly a little larger)
    2. LCD and no EVF
    3. no popup flash
    4. some kind of viewfinder attachment - possibly electronically connected
    5. retro look
    6. around 5 lenses - including zooms and primes
    7. in body IS (same as E620)
    8. same sensor as E620
    9. video (but not 1080p)

but of course, this might be disinformation, and I can think of both an absolute wondercamera and a complete lemon which would fit these criteria.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Incidentally, I thought the orange inserts on the tobacco tin were leather not fabric (FWIW - not much I guess)

Still, I think we know pretty much what we're going to get - here's my take:

1. camera about the same size as Canon G10 (possibly a little larger)
    2. LCD and no EVF
    3. no popup flash
    4. some kind of viewfinder attachment - possibly electronically connected
    5. retro look
    6. around 5 lenses - including zooms and primes
    7. in body IS (same as E620)
    8. same sensor as E620
    9. video (but not 1080p)

but of course, this might be disinformation, and I can think of both an absolute wondercamera and a complete lemon which would fit these criteria.
    Yes, I think so too about the leather vs. fabric even though I mentioned fabric. It had been phrased that way on a discussion about the camera on rangefinders I think---and I noticed that the EE has a similar insert (though not as bright).

I suspect you are close to right Jono. It would make sense with all their hints and the 'other' m4/3rds--which they need to differentiate themselves from to go with a G10 sized one. I would think they would be making a mistake not to have at least an EVF as an accessory though. I would not like to try and focus, esp. MF, with just an LCD and interchangeable lenses.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Yes, I think so too about the leather vs. fabric even though I mentioned fabric. It had been phrased that way on a discussion about the camera on rangefinders I think---and I noticed that the EE has a similar insert (though not as bright).

I suspect you are close to right Jono. It would make sense with all their hints and the 'other' m4/3rds--which they need to differentiate themselves from to go with a G10 sized one. I would think they would be making a mistake not to have at least an EVF as an accessory though. I would not like to try and focus, esp. MF, with just an LCD and interchangeable lenses.

Diane
    Well, having done manual focusing on the live view on the E3, and with the promise of a much improved LCD I'm not so sure that it'd be difficult.

Still - ricoh did a plug in EVF on their cameras (horrid though it was), so that's a possibility. What I'd like is a bright viewfinder with a fixed focal length (like a leica) but with framelines which zoomed with the lens, and with focus confirmation and exposure information . . . but I think I'm just dreaming here.

Just this guy you know

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Well, having done manual focusing on the live view on the E3, and with the promise of a much improved LCD I'm not so sure that it'd be difficult.

Still - ricoh did a plug in EVF on their cameras (horrid though it was . . .

I have Ricoh GX-100 and GX-200 and cannot work without the EVF - lots of reasons but here are two:

LCD gets washed out in sun . .

I need to see the histogram live as I take the picture.

Not horrid at all - if you don't like it, just remove it. Can't do that with the G1, but I don't want to . . . . I wish my Dlux-4 had one.

Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hope they use the GH1 sensor...

GH1 + Lumix 14-140
    1/800s f/5.6 at 58.0mm

100% pixel crop, top left corner :

Kind Regards

Brian

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    It looks as if they're following the Pen model breakdown on their Pen history page, which includes seven model groups... so conceivably they could stretch it out even longer. (The bar under the media player could become a scroller to allow more teases.)

I also want to point out that, even though the collective wishful thinking of the photo-forum community has ordained that Olympus will introduce a tiny but feature-packed "digital Pen FT" type of camera, so far their campaign has been giving lots of loving attention to the minimal, feature-sparse scale-focusing Pens. For example, today's feature camera, the Pen EE, had a fixed 1/60 sec shutter speed and three-zone focusing!

If that's the design philosophy that Olympus plans to follow (which would make a lot of sense as a way of differentiating their offerings from those of Panasonic) then a lot of gadget freaks are going to be disappointed...
    I'm not a gadget freak but as a photographer any thing less than a direct evolution of the PEN F is going to be not just a disappointment but a failure by Olympus.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post

GH1 + Lumix 14-140
    1/800s f/5.6 at 58.0mm

100% pixel crop, top left corner :

Kind Regards

Brian
    Looking at that crop, one would almost hope they use the Panasonic lens as well

Ranger 9

GH1 + Lumix 14-140
    1/800s f/5.6 at 58.0mm
    Brian -- ISO 200, I presume?

Any comment on performance at higher ISOs? Panasonic was claiming enhanced high-ISO performance vs. the G1, but in the only review I've seen mentioning it (on C*Net, which isn't exactly a photography site) the reviewer said she thought the G1's high-ISO images looked better...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    Brian -- ISO 200, I presume?
    ISO100 it is, I think Brian had a go with Lightzone and GH1 files from this place.

There are some high ISO samples as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jonas, I haven't looked at high ISO samples yet, but these are definitely cleaner than the G1 at 100 ISO.

Also, using Lightzone allows us to see how good the lenses are without software correction... and from these samples the 14-140 and 7-14 are doing pretty good!

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Brian

Also, using Lightzone allows us to see how good the lenses are without software correction...
    just wondering, I've not tried lightzone, but the effects seem similar to using Photomatix and tone mapping straight from the RW2 file. One doesn't need to go nuts with making a distorted HDR esque image.

For example I can take an image from this

to this

easily in Photomatix (and a little post processing for perspecitve in another editor, sorry I didn't save the intermediate only tone mapped image). It also saves an XMP file for me to repeat the process.

so are there other features to lightzone which are handy?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice image, was that just one image tonemapped or multiple ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    Brian

just wondering, I've not tried lightzone, but the effects seem similar to using Photomatix and tone mapping straight from the RW2 file. One doesn't need to go nuts with making a distorted HDR esque image.

easily in Photomatix (and a little post processing for perspecitve in another editor, sorry I didn't save the intermediate only tone mapped image). It also saves an XMP file for me to repeat the process.

so are there other features to lightzone which are handy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The image I posted was straight from the raw file, downloaded from this site.

The image above, judging by the frozen walkers is likely to have been from a single image also (although PhotoAcute will remove subsequent moving figures from a stack)

Kind Regards

Brian

PeterLeyssens

Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    I have Ricoh GX-100 and GX-200 and cannot work without the EVF - lots of reasons but (snip...)

I need to see the histogram live as I take the picture.
    Oly could make something like the horizontal bar from the OM3/4, but adapt it to the mFT to show additional info ? They could use a 3x2 proportioned LCD EVF and use the right side to show not only shutter speed and such parameters, but also the histogram. Turn it 90 degrees counterclockwise: the top of the histogram is the highlights, the bottom is the shadow areas. It would fit nicely next to the image, because an LCD with 3x2 proportions is wider than the 4x3 proportions of the image. The histogram and other data would not have to overlap with the image, which I always consider distracting.

Peter.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by deckitout View Post
    Nice image, was that just one image tonemapped or multiple ?
    yes ... just tone mapped. As this whole RAW thing is very much in development I keep looking at ways to make my RAW images into better looking images than just accepting the basic processing. ACR is good but I'm stuck on an older version due to budget restrictions (well ... ok I spend it on other gear) ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Brian

The image I posted was straight from the raw file, downloaded from this site.
    I gathered it was not a HDRI, but I was just interested to hear what you thought of lightzone ...