The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pen F to G1 adapter

M

milapse

how do the pen lenses perform? Is there any line they are 'comparable' to?

Is the focal length equation the same on the G1? IE a 25/2.8 pen lens is basically a 50mm FOV on the G1...

Last edited:

monza

Yes, multiply the focal length by 2 to get the effective field of view.

IMHO, the Pen lenses are great on the G1, there are quite a few threads with photos here. I've tried 20mm to 250mm. Of course, I shoot film on Pen Fs, too, so it is really handy to have lenses that work on both.

M

milapse

They are fabulous.:thumbs: There are no comparisons.:ROTFL:
Got cha ;) Too bad there is nothing below 20mm... :cry: They may be awesome but there is so much impressive vintage glass >25 it makes my head spin!

monza

The really nice thing about Pen glass (besides the good imaging) is the small size which fits µ4/3 very nicely, with none of the ergonomic compromises of cine lenses for example. No fumbling for aperture or focus rings that are too close to the camera, etc. They also focus very close, unlike M-mount glass, and they are reasonably priced.

Sure, there are tons of other options. But in key focal lengths, they are difficult to beat. For example: 40/1.4...the only thing that compares is the Nokton 40/1.4 in M-mount. But the Pen focuses to 14", the Nokton to 27". The Zuiko is generally cheaper, and has better bokeh.

The 38/1.8 compares very favorably to the Summicron-C 40/2, very similar (pleasing!) bokeh, and again close focus is much closer.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

I started using the Pen F lenses from day 1 because of the mount and I already owned most of them.

The c-mount lenses (especially wides and superfast normal primes) are hard to beat by any brand or line of lenses in terms of size and performance.

Ergonomics is not a problem. If anyone can use a G1 and its fiddly little buttons to focus, there is little to complain about the ergonomics of the c-mount primes.;)

monza

Vivek, you have to admit that the Pen lenses have better ergonomics than many of the cine lenses do (such as the Xenoplan that you pointed it out to me.) :) That's not to say they are unusable, of course, just not ideal ergonomics. You are right about the G1's fiddly buttons!

V

Vivek

Robert, Yes, the handling is better (the Xenoplan 25/1.9 sucks when it comes to that, No contest there.).:)

Here is a teaser for milapse:

G1, pen F Zuiko Macro 38/3.5.

V

Vivek

Vivek, you have to admit that the Pen lenses have better ergonomics than many of the cine lenses do (such as the Xenoplan that you pointed it out to me.) :)

Just to be clear- the Xenoplan 25/1.9 (and the 17/1.7) are easier to use on the Rabe adapter and is a pain to use with the Hawk adapter.

Also, the image quality from the feather weight 25/1.9 Xenoplan is way better than the pen F 25/2.8.

I now use several other c-mount 25mm lenses, including the superb Computar-TV 25/1.3 lens.

apicius9

Just to be clear- the Xenoplan 25/1.9 (and the 17/1.7) are easier to use on the Rabe adapter and is a pain to use with the Hawk adapter.

Also, the image quality from the feather weight 25/1.9 Xenoplan is way better than the pen F 25/2.8.

I now use several other c-mount 25mm lenses, including the superb Computar-TV 25/1.3 lens.
Vivek, just out of curiosity: How does the Computar compare to the Canon 25/1.4 in quality and sensor coverage? And where would I find a Computar? Oh, and the 12.5mm I have needs machining, how about the 25mm?

Sorry for leading this astray...

Stefan

V

Vivek

Stefan, Yes the 25/1.3 mount needs to be trimmed (a nail file did the job for me)- it is already mentioned in the list Robert put up.

Very slight corner vignetting (about 1mm) wide open with full coverage of the sensor. Vignetting (or light fall off) is gone by f2.8~f/4. Three bladed iris. None of these bother me.

Filter size is 40.5mm and the front element is not deeply recessed as in many other 25mm c-mount lenses. It is tiny and <100gms in weight. I bought mine used. I believe it was discontinued a while ago.

monza

Another using the 38/3.5. This flower is about the size of a quarter, to give a reference as to the size of the bug.