The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bargain - - - or trash !?

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Here is a lens that I purchased for $12, from a dealer who has sold me a lot of camera stuff over the years.
It is so well made, with slick operation - and so silky smooth, and its a Canon. You could put it in the display cabinet without even taking a picture.
I was taken by the F2 over 17 - 102mm. A lens like that today would cost a fortune. So I was prepared to lose $12 - but shipping was $40.
The aperture control is wonderful (the little round knob that pulls in and out in the left of the picture.) There is an electrical lead that gets in the way a bit, but I can handle that.
But does it take good images?

I'm working on that - here is a first pass (after a picture of the lens)

Keith

Audii-Dudii

It looks like a bazooka! That said, I'm certain I would have gambled $52 on it as well, as I love to shoot WFO (that's wide f*ckin' open, for the uninitiated). :D

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Oh no - it does not cover the sensor. but most of my other c-lenses don't, and they cost much more.

I was tempted to put this in my G1/Holga thread, but the pictures deserve more that that :toocool:

I've seen this lens on e-bay from $15 (with dings and other bad stuff) to $375.

Mine is mint.

Still working on it

Keith

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
It looks like a bazooka! That said, I'm certain I would have gambled $52 on it as well, as I love to shoot WFO (that's wide f*ckin' open, for the uninitiated). :D
I wish it were WFO, but this was about f 5.6 (but the cute little manual control makes that a bit iffy!)

I'm working on WFO. I thing this lens could be Nirvana for those who do B & W, can tolerate some noise, and need a lot of range.

Keith

Audii-Dudii

I'm working on WFO. I thing this lens could be Nirvana for those who do B & W, can tolerate some noise, and need a lot of range.
I think you just described me! I haven't yet shot an image with my G1 that I intend to reproduce in color, so please do keep us up to speed with your project!

pentacon6

Is any one using Fujinon zoom TV lens?There are tons of option on the net but with a relative higher value. Fujinon is an expert in broadcasting lens and should have a more promising quality, I think.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Another forum member has asked how this lens performs in terms of coverage of the sensor.

Here is a sequence to show that:

First three images are taken at F5.6, at 17mm, 30mm, and 102mm

Next three are taken at F2, again 17mm,30mm, and 102mm

Keith

Michiel Schierbeek

The lens looks beautifull but it doesn't look like a lens for daily use as a walk about lens.
Correct me, if I am mistaken. :LOL:

I've got bazooka's too :D some day I gonna use them again.
Michiel

Zeiss Sonnar 180/2.8

Example

Example

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
The lens looks beautifull but it doesn't look like a lens for daily use as a walk about lens.
Correct me, if I am mistaken. :LOL:

I've got bazooka's too :D some day I gonna use them again.
Michiel

Zeiss Sonnar 180/2.8

E]
Hey, Michiel - your bazookas cost much more than mine :ROTFL:

But, if I were back when I started photography and were faced with the same decisions, I might have gone for it as a street shooter (I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now :banghead:). $12 is not much, but the $45 postage and packing made it a bit tougher :)

Also, my bazooka is much smaller than your bazooka, and it is F2 through the zoom range!!

Keith

gmoe

Thanks for the posts woodmancy! Just wanted to see if it was useable. I guess you can crop the pics out..

-G

Talking of bazookas, front, left, a Vario-Switar 18-86mm/2.5, a picture taken with it and a crop.

BTW, the 26mm/1.1 Macro Switar that is on the camera has its diaphragm stuck. Yesterday, I brought it to Bolex in Yverdon (Switzerland) for repair, half an hours drive from my home.

When I get it back, it will have a 6 months factory guarantee. I just discovered that the firm still exists and continues building cine cameras to order, as well as service and repair their old gear.

slosync

BTW, the 26mm/1.1 Macro Switar that is on the camera has its diaphragm stuck. Yesterday, I brought it to Bolex in Yverdon (Switzerland) for repair, half an hours drive from my home.

When I get it back, it will have a 6 months factory guarantee. I just discovered that the firm still exists and continues building cine cameras to order, as well as service and repair their old gear.
[/CENTER]
Peter that's interesting information... I have a Switar 25mm f/1.4 that has a very stiff focus ring and wonder if it would be worth sending over for repair. I suspect not, but it's worth knowing....

Do you have any contact information for them?

What will your repair cost?

Cheers,
Don

Don,

Thank you Peter.... I'm going to mull the decision to send the lens in for repair but inclined to pass.
Just for your information, I brought Bolex also a second lens, a 75mm Yvar for simple CLA (Cleaning, Lubricating, Adjusting) and they asked $150.

With the 26mm there was more work involved, some blades of the diaphragm were twisted or brokien. It is not sure whether single blades can be exchanged or wheter a whole new diaphragm has to be installed. Thus the higher price.

I wonder whether a 25mm/1.4 Switar deserves going into such costs: it vignettes heavily on a m43 camera and their prices are much lower than for the 26mm/1.1. OTOH selling a lens with factory garantee might justify a higher price

Cheers,
Peter

RichA

Here is a lens that I purchased for $12, from a dealer who has sold me a lot of camera stuff over the years.
It is so well made, with slick operation - and so silky smooth, and its a Canon. You could put it in the display cabinet without even taking a picture.
I was taken by the F2 over 17 - 102mm. A lens like that today would cost a fortune. So I was prepared to lose $12 - but shipping was $40.
The aperture control is wonderful (the little round knob that pulls in and out in the left of the picture.) There is an electrical lead that gets in the way a bit, but I can handle that.
But does it take good images?

I'm working on that - here is a first pass (after a picture of the lens)

Keith
I had a Canon lens (made by Panasonic) much like it but it vignetted at certain focal lengths and overall was not a very good lens. I sold it, I'm sure it made some video/16mm film shooter happy. Theoretically, you could adapt those 40lb television camera lenses to the G1 too! Imagine an 80:1 zoom and a fast aperture.

Last edited: