Site Sponsors

Thread: options other than f/.95 canon 50mm

Post Thanks / Like

options other than f/.95 canon 50mm

Hi folks,

It seems the Canon f/.95 50mm tv lens has skyrocketed in price and is definitely out of my price range to pickup as a lens when the new GH1 comes out. Any recommendations for sharp inexpensive low light 50mm lenses that may not be f/.95 that could also hold there own in low light situations.

I saw the Olympus Zuiko f/1.4 50mm lens that seems nice and comes up relatively inexpensively on ebay. Any other suggestions for a fast inexpensive prime 50mm lens would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: options other than f/.95 canon 50mm

I use the Canon f/1.2 on my G1 most of the time (when I don't have my 50 f/2 macro on there). The 1.2 can be had for about $400-500. Make sure you put a proper hood on it as flare can be a problem without.
    I've also got the 50 f/1.1 Cosina Voigtlander on order. I put down a refundable $100 with Stepen Gandy (www.cameraquest.com) to get on the list for them when they come out soon. Tom Abrahams has tested the lens and has photos here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/rapidwinder/sets/72157618400098667/ .

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There are plenty of c-mount options for the 50mm (especially f/1.4). That would be my preference now.

These may need to be modified to fit the c-mount adapters though.

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    There are plenty of c-mount options for the 50mm (especially f/1.4). That would be my preference now.

These may need to be modified to fit the c-mount adapters though.
    Hey, Vivek, would you like to offer a few informed recommendations in order of preference?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ranger, I dig the Fujinon-TV 50/1.4 (mount needs modification*- I have not finished it yet, will do soon and post details). It will take on any Summilux and better it.

*As is it is usable (on the RJ adapter) as well if you change where the focus ring sits (similar to the 35/1.1 trick) but the close focus distance becomes limited.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, since you mentioned the Canon 50/.95 it seems size doesn't matter. Nikkor 55 or 50 1.2--both for less than $500 used. Tomioka 55/1.2 ( M42 ). The Canon FD 1.2's--I think the L is the expensive one. Lot's of SLR 1.2 lenses to choose from. I have a Canon TV 50/1.8 that is very sharp wide open and is small, but ergonomically friendly.

I have:
    Canon 50/.95--hard to focus at .95 on the G1--Big and cumbersome. I used a TV-C mount adapter, but wasn't able to get infinity focus. It's at DAG now awaiting a visoflex III M mount conversion.
    Nikkor 55/1.2--well balanced on the G1 and sharp wide open contrary to what some say. Paid $160 for mine because body was in user condition, but glass was great.
    Tomioka 55/1.2--Nice sharp lens--same as the Nikkor ergonomically.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thanks everyone for your help. Appreciate it, will start looking!

milapse

50 being more like 100 on the G1, I find to be a strange focal length to work with personally.. It's a little too short for mid tele work (personally I like 120ish) and a little too long for portrait work (I like 80ish). That being said the more I work with the Kodak Ektar 40/1.6 wide open the more I love it. It's really quite amazing...

Here's a sample...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I needed a very fast 50 for use with my M8's and after doing all the research decided on the 50 1.2 Konica hexanon. Large, but smaller than the Canon and it has great color and very pleasing rendition. Not cheap ($2K to $2.5K) but a very very good performer at the wide open aperture. I bought it and have never looked back. Try one.........you may very well like it a lot.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Ranger, I dig the Fujinon-TV 50/1.4 (mount needs modification*- I have not finished it yet, will do soon and post details). It will take on any Summilux and better it.

*As is it is usable (on the RJ adapter) as well if you change where the focus ring sits (similar to the 35/1.1 trick) but the close focus distance becomes limited.
    Hi Vivek, Is this the 50/1.4 fujinon you have?
    http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI....STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    From the picture, it looks like it will fit an RJ adapter but I cant be sure.

I am bidding for this and if it requires modification, i will pull out of the bid.

I have used the fujinon 75mm 1.8 and that works brilliantly with no machining.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gmoe View Post
    Hi folks,

It seems the Canon f/.95 50mm tv lens has skyrocketed in price and is definitely out of my price range to pickup as a lens when the new GH1 comes out. Any recommendations for sharp inexpensive low light 50mm lenses that may not be f/.95 that could also hold there own in low light situations.

I saw the Olympus Zuiko f/1.4 50mm lens that seems nice and comes up relatively inexpensively on ebay. Any other suggestions for a fast inexpensive prime 50mm lens would be great!

Thanks in advance!
    dont we all love a 0.95 lens. the great thing about m43 is the choice, the bad thing is the time and expense to try the choices out. check this review of a 0.95 50mm lens from steve huff
    http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2010/0...-olympus-e-p2/

the best choice is the leica noctilux m 50mm/0.95.
    the next is the leica m noctilux 50mm/1 older model.
    then the leica m 50mm/1.2 even older one.
    the voigtlander 50mm 1.1 is top notch.
    all above focus to 1 meter or 0.7 meter (needs verification).
    to go closer, 50 or 55mm 1.2 from SLR cameras.
    1950's lenses like 55mm 1.2 from nikon or olympus have spherical aberations wide open meaning they have a soft flare. the latest leica and voigtlander correct this with aspherical lens element, so it will be sharper.
    but the good thing about m43 is that the image size is doubled meaning all above lenses function like a macro, so the minimum focussing distance does not impact m43 as much as full frame.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gmoe View Post
    You have to ask yourself why you need such low light performance. Most super-fast lenses (f/1.1 or faster) are not very sharp wide open, and they have a sliver-thin DOF at those apertures which means they're often not very usable wide open (or the ones that are sharp as also prohibitively expensive). You can certainly get by in low light situations with a good f/1.2 or even f/1.4 lens. Plenty of legacy lenses in that aperture, and some good industrial ones like the one Vivek mentioned. The Noktor lens is pretty terrible IMO, and way too expensive for what you get.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by paparazzi666 View Post
    Hi Vivek, Is this the 50/1.4 fujinon you have?
    http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI....STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    From the picture, it looks like it will fit an RJ adapter but I cant be sure.

I am bidding for this and if it requires modification, i will pull out of the bid.

I have used the fujinon 75mm 1.8 and that works brilliantly with no machining.
    That is the one. Bought mine for $55 from SG after some negotiations.

It does need a modification which is very simple. Unscrew the rear (this holds the c-mount together as well as being a "decorative ring"). Glue (special metal epoxy glue) the stainless steel c-mount and adjust the infinity focus. Mine is mounted on a RJ adapter.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using a Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 I got for $60 for the last few months as my primary portrait lens and it's been really great.