The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Accu for G1 - original or third party ?

f6cvalkyrie

Hi, ladies and gentleman,

I have started preparing my summer holidays (I will be in Russia in Aug/Sept) and one of my problems is that I have only one accu for my G1.
So I'm looking to buy 2 extra ones, and find several offers on the net.
The original accu is rather expensive, compared to what some third parties are proposing.

So, my questions :
Is it very important to buy the original ?
Are originals better ? Do they have more autonomie ?
Could third party accus damage my camera ?
Can you recommend a third party that you have worked with, and are happy about ?

TIA,
Rafael

hot

I think 3rd party batteries often come out of the same (chinese) machine - no camera manufacturer produces batteries. Why pay € 90 for an original Lumix battery if you get for same price 12 Chinese batteries :D They don't explode and burn your house.

A "high" camera price nobody forces to buy expensive (not worth) batteries. $ 10 are enough :p

I'm using instead original Canon inkjet cartridges for € 13.99 "nonames" for € 0.60 (or DIY refill for € 0.30 - refilled within 1 minute) - same quality. Instead Canon batteries for € 70 such for € 4.99 .. with golden contacts ... original have tinned contacts.

Last edited:

pellicle

Same here ... I have used non genuine Li-ION batteries for ages and have not had a problem. In fact I can say they are totally equal to the ones I've bought with camera. I'm quite sure that the batteries are made in only a few locations and sold without the badge for less direct by the makers with less middle men taking a cut.

This fellow (who also makes adaptors) is selling some on his ebay shop at the moment at what appears to be the best price I've seen for them yet.

I've not tried his batteries (but have tried his adaptors).

Naturally the makers will say "ohh no ... don't trust them" ... boogy man tactics if you ask me (ohh, and I've got a little bit of experience in electronics engineering and manufacturing for what that is worth ...)

pellicle

I am using an adapter FT/mFT from (above) RJ - 1/3 of price of Lumix adapter (but no contacts) for my Konica lenses.
a Hexar? I always wanted a Hexar ... my first 35mm camera was this rangefinder which was bought new by my dad (and I got it in 1976). So I guess I still like the format.

Interesting note from reading that campedia link ... seems they didn't quite know how to operate the shutter / aperture dial on the lens, they can be operated independently (you just need not to be "sexy fingered"). Closest thing to a program shift camera there was at the time :)