The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

If you've been impressed by the G1's kit lens...

Audii-Dudii

then prepare to be really impressed when you see what the L1's 14-50 Vario-Elmarit lens will do on a G1 body!

True, you do lose autofocus, but that's not a big deal for what I'm shooting these days (and having a faster lens makes manual focusing easier at night), and it's also significantly larger and heavier (again, not a problem for me as I'm shooting from a tripod), but early results suggest that getting the image right in the glass trumps getting it right with software later. Images captured with the L1's lens have a combination of resolution and smoothness/creaminess to them that the G1 images, nice as they are, simply can't match.

I haven't yet post-processed any of the kit lens images yet (it was late when I got home from shooting these last night), but impressive as they are, IMO they pale by comparison to those shot with the Leica-tweaked lens that came with the L1. Surely I'm not the only one here who has used the L1 lens on a G1?

Brian Mosley

We're only just starting out with m4/3rds... Olympus and possibly Leica have yet to roll out their own quality lenses. Also, Panasonic could very well add high grade lenses in due course.

I've used SHG Olympus ZD lenses with the G1 and it's fantastic - super sharp.

Kind Regards

Brian

Audii-Dudii

I've used SHG Olympus ZD lenses with the G1 and it's fantastic - super sharp.
This is good to hear, as I'm contemplating buying the Olympus 14-35/f2 and 35-100/f2 lenses (assuming I can get past the weird feeling of spending $4,500 on a pair of lenses for a camera that cost me $549 -- with a lens, even!).

kweide

The Zuiko 14-35 f2 is the next on my wish list.....
Today the Sigma 50mm f1.4 EX DG HSM was added to my photo bag. Will see how it works on Oly m43... :)

Brian Mosley

An example of the ZD 14-35mm f2 SWD on the E-30...

Full image, scaled for web.

100% pixel level crop

1600% pixel level crop

This lens is *phenomenal* - and the G1 AA filter is weaker than the E-30.

Cheers

Brian

Audii-Dudii

This lens is *phenomenal* - and the G1 AA filter is weaker than the E-30.
It's hard to tell these things from scaled-down .jpgs, but your images suggest there is indeed greatness to be found in the 14-35's glass. Still, $2000 isn't exactly pocket change these days, but given the amount of nighttime photography I'm doing now (and the fact that I'm coming from an 8x10 view camera, which has spoiled me with its resolution), I think it might just be worth it, if only because it will make composing and focusing images at night just a little bit easier...

BTW, can anybody tell me how the E3's images compare to the G1's? I have chosen to throw in with the 4/3 format because I can't afford a digital back for my view camera (well, at least the one I want for it) or a medium-format DSLR and back combo, but also because I don't like the 3:2 format that all other DSLRs use and I don't want to always be cropping my way back to something more squarish.

Although I haven't yet done any detailed comparisons, what comparisons I have made clearly shows the G1 captures images that are superior to my L1 images (despite the fact the G1 costs significantly less than the L1 did ... ain't technology wonderful at times?), so I'm curious as to how it compares to the E3, presumably the best body the 4/3 format has to offer? I don't need most of the E3's features, but if it captures a better image than the G1 or any other 4/3 (or m4/3) camera, then I'll be happy to buy one.

Brian Mosley

The E-3 uses a 10Mp sensor, which offers more DR and certainly less noise than the G1... prints delightfully smooth images, but you may also consider the E-30 which has a very similar 12Mp sensor to that of the G1.

The E-30 has a lovely bright articulating screen for manual focusing of nighttime shots. Here's another shot with the 14-35mm f2 from Paris last weekend.

E-30 + ZD 14-35mm f2
2s f/4.0 at 24.0mm iso100

1/3s f/4.5 at 31.0mm iso100

Kind Regards

Brian