The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus picture leak

V

Vivek

Your bank will look after it for you :ROTFL:
Oh yes, they would love to would they not? :ROTFL:

At the moment, mys street kit is a G1, 12.5mm/f1.4, 25/1.3, and a 0.65X converter for the 25/1.3. If the 17/2.8 is available, I can do away with the 0.65X.

Godfrey

Oh yes, they would love to would they not? :ROTFL:

At the moment, mys street kit is a G1, 12.5mm/f1.4, 25/1.3, and a 0.65X converter for the 25/1.3. If the 17/2.8 is available, I can do away with the 0.65X.
Which 12.5/1.4 are you using, Vivek?

I have a Cosmicar 12.5/1.4 on the shelf here, but it needs some modification to be usable on the G1 ... the lens mount flange needs to be relieved such that it will fit in the Cmount adapter ... and I'm not sure there's enough meat in the mount or adapter to do it.

(My street kit at present is the ZD 25/2.8 normal, G.Zuiko 40/1.4 portrait, and a Nikkor 20/3.5 or the kit zoom for wide... the wides are a bit slow.)

pellicle

I have a Cosmicar 12.5/1.4 on the shelf here, but it needs some modification to
...in the Cmount adapter ... and I'm not sure there's enough meat in the mount or adapter to do it.

just wondering which adaptor you're using ... hopefully my new c-mount adaptor (from hawkPeng2003) will arrive soon, then I can report on that.

Tim

Just to add to the banter :talk028: What is the IQ likely to be like on this E-P1? Similar to the 620 do you think?

Brian Mosley

Hi Tim, good question... they could go with 10Mp or the GH1 sensor... either way I'm sure IQ will be close to any other Oly DSLR.

The lens will have a more significant effect on IQ, imho.

Kind Regards

Brian

etrigan63

Based on the rumors I've been tracking, a sensor similar to the GH1's seems likely. The Oly PEN site has been updated and now shows the PEN F (my personal fave is the PEN FT). T-minus 7 days and counting!

Brian Mosley

I wonder... that Olympus Pen F animation looks absolutely beautiful. If this is an early 'unofficial' leak then maybe there's a chance Olympus will use the front control dial for aperture control?

Just an idea!

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

Which 12.5/1.4 are you using, Vivek?

I have a Cosmicar 12.5/1.4 on the shelf here, but it needs some modification to be usable on the G1 ... the lens mount flange needs to be relieved such that it will fit in the Cmount adapter ... and I'm not sure there's enough meat in the mount or adapter to do it.

(My street kit at present is the ZD 25/2.8 normal, G.Zuiko 40/1.4 portrait, and a Nikkor 20/3.5 or the kit zoom for wide... the wides are a bit slow.)

Godfrey, It was a custom made one. Total rebuild. Not one of the cosmicars or the computars. It isn't worth fiddling with those (been there, done it) unless you do not mind ~11mm coverage.

Samples (no crops)..

Terry

I wonder... that Olympus Pen F animation looks absolutely beautiful. If this is an early 'unofficial' leak then maybe there's a chance Olympus will use the front control dial for aperture control?

Just an idea!

Cheers

Brian
What front control dial? From the leaked pictures there doesn't seem to be one? The lack of a dial was one thing worrying me.

Last edited:
R

Ranger 9

(my personal fave is the PEN FT)
Did you ever have a Pen FV? That's supposed to be the nicest one: it has the Pen FT's more reliable* shutter and self-timer, but not its dorky, semi-useless metering system -- which, by eliminating the beamsplitter, meant it also had the brighter, more contrasty viewfinder of the original Pen F. I always felt my Pen FT's viewfinder was mediocre at best.

*The original F (the one with the cool gothic "F" engraved on the front) supposedly was prone to erratic shutter speeds when the camera was held vertically.

Brian Mosley

What front control dial? From the leaked pictures there doesn't seem to be one? The lack of what was one thing worrying me.
Hi Terry, I meant the front control wheel (ISO?) on the original Pen-F... these 'unofficial' leaks could be misdirection :toocool:

For a retro styled camera - you'd think manual controls would be pretty important?

Kind Regards

Brian

etrigan63

Well Brian, the top shot showing the mode dial lists "M" as one of the operating mode. Safe to guess that it means "Manual". The lens is a "G-type" (Nikon term = no aperture ring on lens) so I'm guessing that manual controls are set via the body, probably by a menu. Touchscreen perhaps? Since there is no viewfinder, pressing one's nose against the glass is a non-issue and a shoe mounted EVF could have a sensor to disable the touchscreen when pressed up to the eye (similar to what the iPhone does when you put it to your ear.)

Last edited:

monza

The dial on the front of Pen F/FT/FV is the shutter speed dial. It pulls out to adjust ISO on the FT (the only model with meter.)

Ranger, I have replaced the semi-silvered mirror in FTs with a first surface mirror, the viewfinder measured 2 stops brighter...you are right, the meter is dorky, and luckily many FTs have dead meters anyway, so I just pull the meter.

Godfrey

just wondering which adaptor you're using ... hopefully my new c-mount adaptor (from hawkPeng2003) will arrive soon, then I can report on that.
I have the one from jinfinance. It can handle a lens up to about 37mm base flange diameter. The Cosmicar is 40.5mm and would require milling a step 2.7mm deep into the base flange, which is about halfway up into the securing set screws.

I have an idea for how to solve the problem but it will require mods to the mount adapter. Whether it's worth it is a question.

Audii-Dudii

While it's true that the L1's lens is rather big and clunky when mounted on a G1, so it's probably best left home unless you're shooting from a tripod, to my eyes, the combination does produce some truly lovely photos, especially if you are shooting with B&W in mind. Since you're one of the few G1 owners to have one of these lenses on hand and don't mind focusing manually, you really should check it out...

wjlapier

I have the one from jinfinance. It can handle a lens up to about 37mm base flange diameter. The Cosmicar is 40.5mm and would require milling a step 2.7mm deep into the base flange, which is about halfway up into the securing set screws.

I have an idea for how to solve the problem but it will require mods to the mount adapter. Whether it's worth it is a question.
The Cosmicar 12.5/1.4 has horrible smearing. I got mine modified from Robert and it mounts fine and has infinity focus, but the edges are bad. The lens almost covers the sensor, compared to the Schneider and Kern 10mm's.

monza

I machined one of these, it's not worth it unless you are ok with an even bigger crop factor. :)

V

Vivek

On the c-mount adapters:

The Rabe adapter (the first to show up) and the Hawk adapter (version II, I believe) have registry shorter than the regular c-mount registry and would let these Cosmicars and Computars to focus to infinity (after machining). The Cosmicars and many TV lenses have a registry of ~16mm.

The RJ adapter (IMO, the best machined of all) has the exact c-mount registry and is only good for movie lenses.