The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus picture leak

Godfrey

I agree with your 75% figure, but the pedant inside me feels the need to point out the pixel loss on each side is only 500, not 1500. The OEM G1 frame is 4000 x 3000, so you only need to trim away 1000 pixels total to make a square (3000 x 3000) image...

Also, provided you use "live view," two strips of gaffer's tape on the LCD works wonders as a framing aid for square-format compositions. If you position them carefully and get the resulting image perfectly centered, you can then automate the cropping-to-square process in PS by simply specifying the crop area as 3000 x 3000 pixels and the program will center the marching ants for you automatically.

Voila ... a digital pseudo-Hasselblad for cheap! :D
my bad, a typo. thanks for the correction. :)

I once fitted a Pentax DA14 onto a Pentax MX film body to see what I could get. Square format due to vignetting, but nearly the exact FoV of my beloved old Hasselblad SWC. Unfortunately, not easy to work with as the DA14 lens was designed for on-body aperture controls.

R

Ranger 9

Just wondering, how would the Cosmicar 12.5 compare to the Canon TV-16 13/1.5 in terms of sensor coverage and IQ, does anybody have both?
I don't have the Canon, but it looks as if it would be worth having!

I just happened to shoot some photos this evening with my Cosmicar 12.5/1.9 (this is the older one Vivek mentioned that fits the RJ adapter without milling.) I've attached one that isn't a brilliant image, but has enough background to give a rough coverage comparison.

Offhand, it looks as if they have about the same overall coverage on the 4:3 format, but the Canon doesn't roll off as much toward the edges of the image circle; then again, that could be because I shot my photo at maximum aperture -- whereas I'd guess your Canon photos were stopped down moderately.

The attachment is actually a Lightroom screenshot, and if you look at the 1:1 detail area at the right side, you'll see that the Cosmicar captures a lot of detail even at f/1.9, at least in the center of the frame; the edges do get a bit softer, but clean up nicely as you stop down.

Shot with a Panasonic G1 at ISO 1000.

Yeah, how did we get so far afield from the Olympus picture leak? Oh, well, that speculative fun will all be over in a few days...

V

Vivek

Nice example, Ranger.

I just couldn't handle those circles. Here is one more from the custom 12.5mm
(blew the focus, yes it needs precise focus).

Let us hope that Olympus, once they start, will be coming up with nice small wide angle primes.:)

scho

Hope I can get this camera without a lens. Looks like it would be ideal (no protruding grip) to use on a sliding 4x5 back for stitching large landscapes, assuming that the LCD quality is at least as good as the G1.

V

Vivek

Actually, this could be very sad. Perhaps, it will make the G1 owners appreciate its features even more....

The blurry black lens, is that the kit zoom?

V

Vivek

Two completely different cameras.
How so (other than the brand name)?

If this is going to be an optical view finder cam with liveview (and no swivel screen), it would be like my modified E-410. I took the IR cut/AA filter stack from my E-410. It is optically (mirror reflex view) blind as a result but I can focus in UV or Visible or IR using the live view feature. Very restricting compared to the G1 and would be of limited use (to me atleast).

Godfrey

How so (other than the brand name)?

If this is going to be an optical view finder cam with liveview (and no swivel screen), it would be like my modified E-410. I took the IR cut/AA filter stack from my E-410. It is optically (mirror reflex view) blind as a result but I can focus in UV or Visible or IR using the live view feature. Very restricting compared to the G1 and would be of limited use (to me atleast).
I don't know what your modified E-410 has to do with the difference between this Olympus and the G1.

They're entirely different in what they present to the user. The Panasonic is in essence a very small and light, all electronic imaging system, camera with state of the art electronic viewfinder and a small but growing complement of matched system lenses. A replacement for the smaller class of SLR cameras with some interesting advantages.

This new Olympus is a handily sized interchangeable lens viewfinder camera with TTL viewing through a fixed LCD screen, and again a small complement of system lenses. Reportedly, in body IS is included (we'll know for sure next week, eh?).

What the two camera's share is the Micro Four Thirds lens mount and control specification, which means that they can share lenses and lens accessories. They're also both quite comparable performers when it comes to resolution and image capture quality.

Where they differ is in all the aspects of practical use. I love the fact that Olympus might be releasing their camera with both the de rigeur little slow zoom AND with a nice wide-normal prime and matching optical viewfinder for those who prefer that way of working. And that so outfitted, it looks like it can easily be pocketed in jacket or cargo pants pockets.

Two entirely different cameras. The fact that they can share lenses is the big plus. Choice is good.

V

Vivek

I don't know what your modified E-410 has to do with the difference between this Olympus and the G1.
If you follow the post from YBH III on it would make sense.

To explain further- without an EVF (or a swivel TFT) that the G1 has, any other m4/3rds cam will have limited utility when it comes to focus, in particular.

On my modified E-410, I can use the liveview to focus. The reflex finder is disabled (or not useful). So, any camera that has no EVF but has liveview on a fixed TFT screen is comparable as to how focus/framing can be achieved.

Yes, I will be able to use the 17/2.8 (or any other prime, I have no need for any zooms) on my G1.

Godfrey

If you follow the post from YBH III on it would make sense.
I don't follow that... what is "YBH III" ???

To explain further- without an EVF (or a swivel TFT) that the G1 has, any other m4/3rds cam will have limited utility when it comes to focus, in particular.

On my modified E-410, I can use the liveview to focus. The reflex finder is disabled (or not useful). So, any camera that has no EVF but has liveview on a fixed TFT screen is comparable as to how focus/framing can be achieved.
But they won't be as small and/or pocketable as the little Oly. That changes things, for me anyway. The handling dynamics of a camera do influence what you do with it.

I'm happy to just disagree on this ... it's purely a matter of my opinion vs your opinion. I see the G1 and the little Oly as two entirely different cameras that complement each other AND provide the capability to use the same lenses. It's simply how I see things. If you see it differently, viva la diffrence or whatever.

jonoslack

the little Oly. That changes things, for me anyway. The handling dynamics of a camera do influence what you do with it.
For me too - I've no need of the G1, but this looks right up my street.
let's hope the viewfinder has a HUD showing focus confirmation etc.

V

Vivek

We shall see how it is when it hits the streets. This time around, unlike the G1 purchase (which was a pleasant surprise) I am prepared as to what to look for in the cam that would suit my needs.

I am already sold on the 17/2.8 and the rumored flash (that I expect to be suitably sized).:)

P.S. YBH III refers to the poster Y.B.Hudson III

woodyspedden

They're entirely different in what they present to the user. The Panasonic is in essence a very small and light, all electronic imaging system, camera with state of the art electronic viewfinder and a small but growing complement of matched system lenses. A replacement for the smaller class of SLR cameras with some interesting advantages.

This new Olympus is a handily sized interchangeable lens viewfinder camera with TTL viewing through a fixed LCD screen, and again a small complement of system lenses. Reportedly, in body IS is included (we'll know for sure next week, eh?).

What the two camera's share is the Micro Four Thirds lens mount and control specification, which means that they can share lenses and lens accessories. They're also both quite comparable performers when it comes to resolution and image capture quality.

Where they differ is in all the aspects of practical use. I love the fact that Olympus might be releasing their camera with both the de rigeur little slow zoom AND with a nice wide-normal prime and matching optical viewfinder for those who prefer that way of working. And that so outfitted, it looks like it can easily be pocketed in jacket or cargo pants pockets.

Two entirely different cameras. The fact that they can share lenses is the big plus. Choice is good.
Personally I think Olympus would be crazy to not offer wide and fast primes. Lots and lots of G1 owners would flock to buy them (thus Olympus cashes in on the installed base of G1's) and more than a few will opt for the Oly body as well. Quickest way I can see for Oly sales to really skyrocket.

JMHO

Woody