The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus picture leak

W

wgcho

I thought Olympus was showcasing their new Micro Four Thirds camera worldwide next week, but since no one is talking about it here, maybe Korea is just one of the lucky markets to see this first?

http://olympus.co.kr/Fun/Event/Progress/View.aspx?bcode=DH01&skey=&sval=&page=1&bm_seq=1696

Olympus has announced the Micro Four Thirds showcase event about 10 days ago and have been accepting invitation requests. The event takes place on 6/17. I assume the new camera will be demo'd in this event.

To translate the content of the online poster:
Micro Four Thirds Showcase
An Opportunity to experience the Olympus Micro Four Thirds for the first time!

Is Korea the only market doing this next week?

-Ted

clay stewart

I agree with most here, but as well as some 2.8 wide primes, like 10, 14, there needs to be a portrait lens that is under 50 mm, like a 37 - 42 1.8 or even 2.0 as well as a normal lens that is faster than 2.8, like maybe a 25 2.0. Actually, the more I think about it, since I rarely carry anything longer than a 50 mm equivalent, the portrait lens could just as well be a 1.4, since it would spend most of the time at home anyway.

R

Ranger 9

I like Clay's thinking. Ideally, a wide-aperture lens lineup for Micro 4/3 would include something wide, something normal-ish, a "portrait" lens, and something a bit longer than that. (If I look at the lenses I actually use on my G1, the 50/1.5 Nokton probably is at the top of the list.)

A 12.5, a 20-25, a 35-ish, and a 50, all with apertures of f/1.8 or faster, would cover almost all my lens needs. Those of us who are using C-mount and M-mount lenses on our G1s know that reasonably compact lenses of very high optical performance can be designed in those focal length and aperture ranges. Adding autofocus, auto-aperture, etc. -- all of which I'd want so I could take advantage of the camera body's features -- would make the barrels a bit bigger, but they wouldn't have to be enormous.

Panasonic's roadmapped 20/1.7 would fit into that foursome... so, one down, three to go! Time for Olympus to start dusting off some of the excellent optical designs from the Pen F lens line and re-engineering them to work with Micro Four Thirds...?

D

doubledan

In all these discussions about fast lenses, I seldom see anyone mention the main reason I find for needing them: subject movement when shooting in dim light without flash.

I take many photographs this way, street scenes at night, or candids of friends sitting around the dinner table by candle light, for example. With the G1 at ISO 1600 (which is fine in b/w), the difference between my old Canon 50 1.4 wide open and my newer ZM 50 f2 wide open is often the difference between a decent image and a blurry mess. This has nothing to do with any niceties of bokeh or heavy-glass machismo, it's just a matter of using the tool that will do the job in these conditions.

I am not wholly immune to gear lust, though. Dying to get my hands on the E-P1!

Best to all, Dan.

I

Irwell

In all these discussions about fast lenses, I seldom see anyone mention the main reason I find for needing them: subject movement when shooting in dim light without flash.

I take many photographs this way, street scenes at night, or candids of friends sitting around the dinner table by candle light, for example. With the G1 at ISO 1600 (which is fine in b/w), the difference between my old Canon 50 1.4 wide open and my newer ZM 50 f2 wide open is often the difference between a decent image and a blurry mess. This has nothing to do with any niceties of bokeh or heavy-glass machismo, it's just a matter of using the tool that will do the job in these conditions.

Can you post pics to illustrate what you mean?
Which is better the old Canon or the newer ZM?

kevinparis

Looking good - though not keen on colour... at least it will stand out on the store shelf :)

Not sure what the litle dot on the front upper right might be ? remote trigger?

hopefully the optical VF will have some smarts built in like expoure and focus info - but it looks kind tiny for that

ah well all will be revealed tomorrow

K

Brian Mosley

Looks very promising... I am so glad that Olympus went for this clean and simple look - the white/beige will take a little getting used to though :eek:

Kind Regards

Brian

jonoslack

Looks very promising... I am so glad that Olympus went for this clean and simple look - the white/beige will take a little getting used to though :eek:

Kind Regards

Brian
I was told that it would be available in :
White
Silver
Black

we haven't seen any black pictures, but the other ones seemed to be silver with black bits - probably a bit less girly :)

Brian Mosley

I'd probably go for black (although that shot above is the odd one out FAKE :thumbdown:)

Of those published so far, this one is my favourite :

Thanks for the pics :)

Kind Regards

Brian

jonoslack

I'd probably go for black (although that shot above is the odd one out FAKE :thumbdown:)

Of those published so far, this one is my favourite :

Thanks for the pics :)

Kind Regards

Brian
HI Brian
nappy content colour eh?

As for the black one - certainly the picture is photoshopped . . . but I'm not sure that makes it a fake. They all look like CGI to me anyway.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
:ROTFL:
All a bit girly for us Jonath*ns do you think?

I have two questions which - positives make it a certainty:

1. is it weatherproofed
2. does it have IS

negatives make it a perhaps.
Agreed -- as you and I both know, we Jonath*ns are definitely not girly-men!

Living down-under, where the weather is beautiful one day, perfect the next, I'm not so concerned about weather-proofing. But the lack of IS would mean instant disqualification.