Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Olympus vs G1

Must be a mini micro 4/3
    Michiel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post

Hey, turns out in-body stabilization is quite natural.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dPlkFPowCc
    FWIW, it's VERY natural, according to one enthusiastic tennis commentator, who showed us a replay of Rafa Nadal winning a wonderful point at the French Open in one of his early matches.

What he wanted us to see was how stable Rafa's head remained during his complex movements. It was clearly so and truly amazing.

No offense intended, of course, and probably of no redeeming social value, but I did think it was at least mildly interesting....

Cheers,

Irenaeus

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The nice thing about little cameras (like the Dp1 I've just acquired) is that they are so small and light that you can think of the tripod as your camera outfit and the camera as...well, a lens cap or a snickers bar or something, it's so unobtrusive.

With the DP1 a tripod is nice as well, as moving it fills in the time productively that you would otherwise have spent glaring at the little red light going flicker, flicker...

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI There
    actually, of course I can see the benefit of tripods . . . sometimes, but I still reckon I can hand hold pretty well, I certainly don't find myself with blurry pictures.
    The real trouble is that I simply lose the will to live if I have to carry a tripod around with me, and worse if I have to put the camera on it. It's like the old rule - take a ranging shot, then concentrate and get the good one, with me, it's always the ranging shot which is the good one.
    Mind you, if I DID use a tripod, I wouldn't mess with these little cameras, I'd be straight for MF with a digital back, If I've got to carry a bag full of stuff, why not a BIG bag!
    So, for me it's a personal thing, but I do remember someone saying to me that it wasn't worth taking landscape pictures at less than 1/500th second without a tripod . . .

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Dave
    I hope you and the family are all well and flourishing.
    Quote Originally Posted by davemillier View Post
    The nice thing about little cameras (like the Dp1 I've just acquired)
    You're becoming worse than me, I haven't bought a new camera for ages and ages . . . well, I had a G1 for a couple of weeks when it came out, but it went fast and that was it.
    Quote Originally Posted by davemillier View Post
    is that they are so small and light that you can think of the tripod as your camera outfit and the camera as...well, a lens cap or a snickers bar or something, it's so unobtrusive.

With the DP1 a tripod is nice as well, as moving it fills in the time productively that you would otherwise have spent glaring at the little red light going flicker, flicker...

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doing splendidly thank you. Elizabeth has just celebrated her third birthday (how time flies). We got her a camera...fetchingly styled in bright pink, rubber coated for robustness; only a fixed focus lens but a binocular optical viewfinder!

How's your lot doing? The apprentice sticking at it?

My camera collection has got a bit out of hand - but I'm buying cheap these days so it doesn't matter too much. I've a box full of stuff to put up for sale but for some reason I find it so much easier to bid for stuff on ebay than offer it...

Have you tried a Foveon camera yourself? Interesting technology. Much of the time it is difficult to see what the fuss is about but every now and again it does something special and you think "that's what they are going on about". The highlight recovery is very good actually. Makes a change from traditional cameras which tend to produce "dark" files or blown highlights. Sigma as a camera body manufacturer are a bit sad though. Way off the pace.

I take it this hiatus in camera merrygoround means you've found something you like for longer than 38 secs in the A900?

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Dave
    I hope you and the family are all well and flourishing.

You're becoming worse than me, I haven't bought a new camera for ages and ages . . . well, I had a G1 for a couple of weeks when it came out, but it went fast and that was it.

Zodubs

Olympus vs G1

Wildlife beware Im gettin the 70-300 on my doorstep tomorrow Just imagine what this chipmunk would look like extra-large... The 70-300 would increase his diagonal length by 80 compared to the 18-180

Itll take care to use the thing on the E-410 though, Im already getting a number of unsteady shots with the 18-180. Ill have to keep my shutter speed at 1/1000s at all costs. My next purchase may be the upcoming small Olympus camera with improved dynamic range, large viewfinder, weather sealing and naturally IS. Unfortunately, that means Ill have to keep my day job...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zodubs View Post
    ...I'll take care to use the thing on the E-410 though, Im already getting a number of unsteady shots with the 18-180. Ill have to keep my shutter speed at 1/1000s at all costs. ...
    You should consider a good tripod. ;-)