Clever Person Who Made it

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Olympus vs G1

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I saw this image on dpreview, and thought it was interesting:
    http://www.slack.co.uk/oddsandends/ep1_g1.jpg
    It is interesting. Considering how petite the G1/GH1 is already for a camera with this large a sensor and the image quality it produces, this Olympus is tiny.

Ignoring the difference in size due to the lenses, it's a different design brief with no eye level viewfinder and no articulated LCD, a comparison more in line with say comparing a Nikon F3 with a Leica CL. Completely different kinds of cameras in use, but both capable of producing superb images.

What I like about it is that it will complement my existing FourThirds/micro-FourThirds kit nicely ... and it's not the same thing as the G1 at all. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Since I'm too Lazy to read all the Hype about the Oly
    which I am Quite interested in....ooks more my speed than an SLR digital body

Is there a possibility of an Adapter for M lenses ?

Thanx in Advance...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yep Helen, the adapters are the same as used by the G1.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    Since I'm too Lazy to read all the Hype about the Oly which I am Quite interested in....ooks more my speed than an SLR digital body
    Is there a possibility of an Adapter for M lenses ?
    It's a micro-FourThirds camera, which means that all the micro-FourThirds mount adapters that already exist will work perfectly on it.

Without the EVF of the G1, it can't be as convenient to focus as an adapted lens as you will have to focus via the LCD. And of course we don't yet know all the specific details of its features, controls and functions with respect to using adapted lenses.

But it does look sweet regardless. ;-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

Ignoring the difference in size due to the lenses, it's a different design brief with no eye level viewfinder and no articulated LCD, a comparison more in line with say comparing a Nikon F3 with a Leica CL. Completely different kinds of cameras in use, but both capable of producing superb images.

What I like about it is that it will complement my existing FourThirds/micro-FourThirds kit nicely ... and it's not the same thing as the G1 at all. ;-)
    Good comparison Godfrey, and what you say about complementing existing 4/3 lenses. I'll be fascinated to see how easy it is to use with my 50-200 Zuiko (I don't have the 90-250 unfortunately).

Still, using the 50 f2 and the 9-18 on it should be very sweet, and there is supposed to be some kind of plug in VF coming. I was told there would be a white one (as well as silver and black)

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Olympus vs D-lux4 DP1 G10

Here is another one done by someone called 'nosenseofplace' on dpreview:

(thanks to him)

Good Eh!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

If the Oly really has the size of DL4, than my DL4 is ready to be sold

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kweide View Post
    If the Oly really has the size of DL4, than my DL4 is ready to be sold
    Hmm, I'm not terribly convinced, it looks fatter than the DL4, and of course, it only has a pancake, different if you stick a zoom on it.

Still, it's clearly pretty small, the comparison with the DP1 is certainly more valid (in that that has a fixed lens as well). At the very worst construction you can use the two Olympus pancakes so that you have the DP1 and Dp2 in the same camera!

Exciting and fun I think - probably it'll be an anticlimax, but the speculation is great

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

May it be a little more in size or not. It is WOW-small. My Zuikos and Leica lenses are ready to be mounted. Hey Kevin....prepare your lenses...

Post Thanks / Like

that plan comparison with the cameras is great! I did an animated GIF comparing my 10D to my G1

I really think that the new Oly looks hot. I'm thinking that I'll "need" a second camera and wonder if I'll still need the G1 later. Currently I'm mainly stillpleased with a small sensor 5Megapixel Coolpix 5000 for macro stuff and whatnot, so it might just be that the new Oly replaces my G1. Gosh ... wouldn't that be a short camera ownership history.

Gosh, imagine me putting this lens:

onto that little oly ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Oly has in-body IS... that's a major advantage for all legacy lenses.

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Good comparison Godfrey, and what you say about complementing existing 4/3 lenses. I'll be fascinated to see how easy it is to use with my 50-200 Zuiko ..
    Shouldn't be any harder to use with the 50-200 than the L1, E-1 or G1 ... I only ever use that lens on a tripod, what camera's on the back of it is mostly irrelevant. ;-)

rover

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    The Oly has in-body IS... that's a major advantage for all legacy lenses.

Cheers

Brian
    True, but no viewfinder. What wonder will Oly have to allow for manual focusing w/o a viewfinder? Or with the small 4:3 sensor will close be good enough given the wide DOF?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rover View Post
    True, but no viewfinder...
    Is that an established fact, or just guesses? Look at this post; quite possibly a hoax, but can we be sure?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rover View Post
    True, but no viewfinder. What wonder will Oly have to allow for manual focusing w/o a viewfinder?

probably the same wonder that Panasonic provides with the G1 ... works well enough for me to focus on rear the screen

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shouldn't be any harder to use with the 50-200 than the L1, E-1 or G1 ... I only ever use that lens on a tripod, what camera's on the back of it is mostly irrelevant. ;-)
    Golly, I've never ever put any 4/3 camera on a tripod . . . actually that's not quite true, I've sometimes done it for product stuff, but not otherwise.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I like the look of the Oly but I bought the G1 because I hated shooting with the G9 with only an LCD so that situation still exists for me. I have a Voigtlander 35mm external VF--wonderful VF but the solution wasn't good unless I viewed the camera as a one FL camera--even with the turret VF I bought, just not a nice shooting experience for me--the histo, EC, ap/shutter speed, etc. are all still on that LCD that I can't see very well. Loved the camera, hated shooting with it. The LCD, though a very good one, just doesn't work for me--have a great deal of trouble focusing and composing in normal daylight.

Probably me, but I just don't like shooting with only LCD--though I do use the G1's at times on tripod (but mainly indoors--same issue in normal light--often can't use it effectively for macros). Of course, I could add external VF to the Oly--but why--and if I use anything other than the pancake, it will still end up bigger than 'pocketable'.

I do understand the excitement about this camera--it will work on certain levels for some, but without a VF (and not a tiny 80% like the G9--useless for most things) or EVF, it won't work for me. I'll be more interested in the later Oly that I think will be more what I would like. When it comes time to upgrade the G1--I'll look at both.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    I like the look of the Oly but I bought the G1 because I hated shooting with the G9 with only an LCD so that situation still exists for me. I have a Voigtlander 35mm external VF--wonderful VF but the solution wasn't good unless I viewed the camera as a one FL camera--even with the turret VF I bought, just not a nice shooting experience for me--the histo, EC, ap/shutter speed, etc. are all still on that LCD that I can't see very well. Loved the camera, hated shooting with it. The LCD, though a very good one, just doesn't work for me--have a great deal of trouble focusing and composing in normal daylight.

Probably me, but I just don't like shooting with only LCD--though I do use the G1's at times on tripod (but mainly indoors--same issue in normal light--often can't use it effectively for macros). Of course, I could add external VF to the Oly--but why--and if I use anything other than the pancake, it will still end up bigger than 'pocketable'.

I do understand the excitement about this camera--it will work on certain levels for some, but without a VF (and not a tiny 80% like the G9--useless for most things) or EVF, it won't work for me. I'll be more interested in the later Oly that I think will be more what I would like. When it comes time to upgrade the G1--I'll look at both.

Diane
    Hi Diane
    I quite agree about the viewfinder - one of the two reasons I didn't stick with the G1 was that I didn't like the EVF.

Story has it that their will be external VF(s) for the Olympus, whether they're optical or EVF (like the Ricoh) remains to be seen. I'm hoping for an optical viewfinder with an electronic overlay and framelines . . . .but I think I'll be lucky

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Diane
    I quite agree about the viewfinder - one of the two reasons I didn't stick with the G1 was that I didn't like the EVF.

Story has it that their will be external VF(s) for the Olympus, whether they're optical or EVF (like the Ricoh) remains to be seen. I'm hoping for an optical viewfinder with an electronic overlay and framelines . . . .but I think I'll be lucky
    I hope so as I know you are wanting a quite small 4/3rds camera (still for riding???--how's that going???). I'm neither a Panny nor Oly person, so my mind is open, but I've become a fan of the EVF on the G1--I use it quite a lot with MF lenses.

I prefer an OVF on many levels--but I will admit when I stick on a lens that needs MF (like my 45 T/S), I yearn for the G1's EVF on my 5D LOL.

The little Oly looks very classy--and small--SMALL!! I know it will be a well thought out camera and has lots of pluses. So--I'm mostly looking forward to what lenses they will announce at the same time--and will wait to see what the late Fall Oly m4/3rds will be. Might suit me better--but then, if I consider an even smaller camera body down the road and there is a VF option as you think there might be--this still might be a second option for m4/3rds for me.

Addendum---I was just looking at the Online PHotographer and his quick note about the web being awash with images of the Oly m4/3rds. He added an addendum--a 'viewfinder' for the 17--and the link was to my Voightlander 35mm external LOL. At least I would be ready with that (and I love that VF--big, bright, with parallax error marks--which might or might not work for the Oly).

Diane
    Last edited by Diane B; 7th June 2009 at 07:10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Olympus E-P2

Is this a rangefinder? (fingers and toes crossed)
    http://666kb.com/i/b9ldr3y9qd35m6mpk.jpg

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hope so as I know you are wanting a quite small 4/3rds camera (still for riding???--how's that going???). I'm neither a Panny nor Oly person, so my mind is open, but I've become a fan of the EVF on the G1--I use it quite a lot with MF lenses.
    I probably would have got used to it, frustration with raw file converters was the last straw (neither Aperture nor Capture One support it).

Riding? what riding
    I've had some interesting experiences hanging on to his neck when a bicycle with squeaky brakes rushes around a corner, and up on his hind legs when a van with a ladder on the roof appeared out of nowhere. I'm beginning to realise why people said 'how brave'! Fun though, and yes, that's what I want the camera for.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Olympus E-P2

Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    Is this a rangefinder? (fingers and toes crossed)
    http://666kb.com/i/b9ldr3y9qd35m6mpk.jpg
    No, it's a joke - you'll note it says E-P2

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No, it's a joke - you'll note it says E-P2
    I saw that, it made me wonder if Olympus might have decided to put two Electronic Pens on the market at the same time following on from their extensive reminders of all the previous Pen offerings in the past with their ad campaign - hence one LCD based and one rangefinder type: the E-P1 and E-P2.
    My two dogs and three cats have been ordered to cross their paws until further notice ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    I saw that, it made me wonder if Olympus might have decided to put two Electronic Pens on the market at the same time following on from their extensive reminders of all the previous Pen offerings in the past with their ad campaign - hence one LCD based and one rangefinder type: the E-P1 and E-P2.
    My two dogs and three cats have been ordered to cross their paws until further notice ...
    I was also wondering if that was a PS job. It would be nice if there was a rangefinder as well. I think the M8 would have been a better camera, had it had live view, for the wider lenses, as I don't much care for hot shoe finders.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Golly, I've never ever put any 4/3 camera on a tripod . . . actually that's not quite true, I've sometimes done it for product stuff, but not otherwise.
    That's a shame. You're giving up about half of the quality that can be gotten out of any camera if you don't put it on a tripod, and particularly with long, heavy lenses or ultra-wide FoV lenses.

I only rarely shoot with anything longer than the 40mm lens without using a tripod. The 50-200 is hand-holdable in good light at 50-100mm, but that's about my limit ... and I like using it more with a tripod. :-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope so as I know you are wanting a quite small 4/3rds camera (still for riding???--how's that going???). I'm neither a Panny nor Oly person, so my mind is open, but I've become a fan of the EVF on the G1--I use it quite a lot with MF lenses. ...
    Hi Diane,

I see this camera as a complement body in my kit, probably to be used almost exclusively with the 17mm prime lens but capable of being used with my entire lens kit if needed. As indicated in my previous posts, I use a tripod an awful lot of the time for serious work and I particularly like using the LCD rather than the eye level viewfinder when working on a tripod.

For eye-level work with the 17mm, the Voigtländer 35 viewfinder will be quite good enough for my desires. I might even want the Voigtländer 75 viewfinder for occasional use with the 40/1.4 lens, although it is of course a bit inconvenient to have to use one thing for focusing and another for framing.

I'm in no rush to buy, however, and am quite willing to wait at least until Lightroom supports the new camera's RAW files and even through seeing what else Olympus has in mind ... with regard to lenses and further developments of the body. The G1 is simply a darn good camera for most of my work and small enough to lighten the load by quite a lot already, so there's no reason to dangle my feet over the bleeding edge through equipment lust ... ;-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's a shame. You're giving up about half of the quality that can be gotten out of any camera if you don't put it on a tripod, and particularly with long, heavy lenses or ultra-wide FoV lenses.

I only rarely shoot with anything longer than the 40mm lens without using a tripod. The 50-200 is hand-holdable in good light at 50-100mm, but that's about my limit ... and I like using it more with a tripod. :-)
    The trouble around here Godfrey isn't the camera shake, but the subject shake - it's ALL foliage, and it's ALWAYS windy - there's no point in putting a camera on a tripod to take pictures of waving vegetation.

I remember watching a guy with a hassleblad on a tripod, and a stepladder to look in the viewfinder, taking a picture of a plant in a botanic garden in a stiff breeze.

Conventional wisdom isn't always wise.

Anyway, that's what IS is for (replacing tripods that is).

Added to which, the quality of my pictures depends on the subject and the composition, not the camera shake

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The Voigtlander mini-finder would be a perfect setup for this camera, very tiny and 28/35mm frames.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    The Voigtlander mini-finder would be a perfect setup for this camera, very tiny and 28/35mm frames.
    I think so too, problem is that it's 3:2 not 4:3
    I'm hoping they offer something good with the camera

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

An EVF with contacts for the hot shoe would be ideal. Come on, Olympus.

Post Thanks / Like

jono

the subject shake - it's ALL foliage, and it's ALWAYS windy - there's no point in putting a camera on a tripod to take pictures of waving vegetation.
    well ... same in the rainforest when its windy ... but sometimes it works out well

the trunks look solid ... but the foliage turns blurry

ok .. sometimes ;-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    jono

well ... same in the rainforest when its windy ... but sometimes it works out well

the trunks look solid ... but the foliage turns blurry

ok .. sometimes ;-)
    HI There
    actually, of course I can see the benefit of tripods . . . sometimes, but I still reckon I can hand hold pretty well, I certainly don't find myself with blurry pictures.
    The real trouble is that I simply lose the will to live if I have to carry a tripod around with me, and worse if I have to put the camera on it. It's like the old rule - take a ranging shot, then concentrate and get the good one, with me, it's always the ranging shot which is the good one.
    Mind you, if I DID use a tripod, I wouldn't mess with these little cameras, I'd be straight for MF with a digital back, If I've got to carry a bag full of stuff, why not a BIG bag!
    So, for me it's a personal thing, but I do remember someone saying to me that it wasn't worth taking landscape pictures at less than 1/500th second without a tripod . . .

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For nightshots, without people moving around, a tripod can come in handy.
    BTW, I am a little worried about the design so far. Little too retro in the wrong direction, but that is just me. Prefer someting with less curves and corners. Not talking about the technics inside of course. Purely speaking of design I would like it to look more like a Voightlander R4A and no like a Citroën 2cv.
    Michiel

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Olympus vs D-lux4 DP1 G10

Here is another one done by someone called 'nosenseofplace' on dpreview:

(thanks to him)

Good Eh!

Hmmm, Jono, are these relative sizes accurate? I hadn't seen any dimension for Oly yet. Of course the Hot Shoe Dimensions are a constant so one could scale of that. But that image is a rather small part of the whole picture so there is room for error....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The lack of an in-built OVF does not really bother me. As has been pointed out before, it saves a lot of volume and one can buy external ones from many sources. My big concern would be dust and IS. Of the two feature, SWF dust removal is absolutely required what with the proximkity of the sensor and all that.

Ranger 9

I saw this image on dpreview, and thought it was interesting:
    Based on eyeballing what little we can see of the actual lens mount flange (the only part of the Olympus picture which has a known reference size) I think he understated the size of the Olympus by a bit. The different lenses exaggerate the size difference as well.

If you ignore the pseudo-tapered styling crease on the top of the Olympus body, it's almost a perfectly rectangular "brick." I suspect it will turn out to be very similar in size to the Panasonic body "brick" exclusive of front grip and top lump. (Of course we can't see heights in this image, but I'll bet they're similar as well.)

That would be very logical: it shows that with the Panasonic you "pay" a front-grip-and-top-lump's amount of extra body volume to get the eye-level viewfinder, articulated LCD, pop-up flash, more versatile microphone (on the GH1) and dedicated controls for more functions. With the Olympus you give up those things to get smaller body volume. It's nice to have a choice.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    The lack of an in-built OVF does not really bother me. As has been pointed out before, it saves a lot of volume and one can buy external ones from many sources. My big concern would be dust and IS. Of the two feature, SWF dust removal is absolutely required what with the proximkity of the sensor and all that.
    Apparently SSWF and IS are included. I guess we'll know for sure in a few days.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The trouble around here Godfrey isn't the camera shake, but the subject shake - it's ALL foliage, and it's ALWAYS windy - there's no point in putting a camera on a tripod to take pictures of waving vegetation.
    Anyway, that's what IS is for (replacing tripods that is).

Added to which, the quality of my pictures depends on the subject and the composition, not the camera shake
    Neither tripod nor IS does anything about subject movement. That's up to you, the photographer, to manage.

Tripods are simply much more effective at eliminating camera movement than IS can be. AND they allow you to work without having to hold the camera all the time, allowing precise and consistent framing, multiple exposures for HDR type layering, etc.

But eh? you don't use them, and you don't care. Such it is.

The real trouble is that I simply lose the will to live if I have to carry a tripod around with me, and worse if I have to put the camera on it.
    Can't have that.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I think so too, problem is that it's 3:2 not 4:3
    I'm hoping they offer something good with the camera
    A little bit of masking tape will solve the format proportion problem easily. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

I used the Voigtlander 35 with my G9 (4:3)--not the mini 28-35--and I found it much less of an issue than one would think. I learned quickly how to compose using the guidelines. I like it very much--but not sure how I feel about it with this camera. Time will tell--I'm in no hurry to do anything other than buy one or 2 more fast primes.

Diane

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe shoot in 3:2 format?

But something tells me there will be an aux EVF...

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

An EVF with contacts for the hot shoe would be ideal. Come on, Olympus.
    Agreed - As I've said a few times, I never use my Ricoh GX's without the plug-in EVF - I love it. Not as good as the G-1, but good enough. I think Olympus will do it.

Post Thanks / Like

HiYa

... The real trouble is that I simply lose the will to live if I have to carry a tripod around with me, and worse if I have to put the camera on it.
    yup .. despite knowing the needs well and struggling to keep my gear light I know the "look" I get here when I suggest I need to take the 4x5 and tripod with us on a trip .... heck I don't take it lightly to begin with (well ... how can you take 10Kg of gear lightly? ;-)

The reason I've got the G1 is to save weight from the 4x5 ...

...that it wasn't worth taking landscape pictures at less than 1/500th second without a tripod . . .
    yeah, some people are like that ... have you ever watched "monk" on TV? some people are just like that with gear

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

HI There
    actually, of course I can see the benefit of tripods . . . sometimes, but I still reckon I can hand hold pretty well, I certainly don't find myself with blurry pictures.
    The real trouble is that I simply lose the will to live if I have to carry a tripod around with me, and worse if I have to put the camera on it. It's like the old rule - take a ranging shot, then concentrate and get the good one, with me, it's always the ranging shot which is the good one.
    Mind you, if I DID use a tripod, I wouldn't mess with these little cameras, I'd be straight for MF with a digital back, If I've got to carry a bag full of stuff, why not a BIG bag!
    So, for me it's a personal thing, but I do remember someone saying to me that it wasn't worth taking landscape pictures at less than 1/500th second without a tripod . . .
    There's always beanbags (my favorite) and table top tripods. I use one with all my cameras when needed.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I simply lose the will to live if I have to carry a tripod around with me

Hey, turns out in-body stabilization is quite natural.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dPlkFPowCc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    ...The reason I've got the G1 is to save weight from the 4x5 ...
    It's a matter of degree: How much are you willing to carry to double the resolution and image quality of your photographs? My usual carry tripod weighs 3lbs, sets up in 10 seconds, and slung onto or under my bag is hardly noticeable ... certainly nowhere near as much burden as carrying a 4x5 field camera, film holders, suitable tripod for that rig, etc.

Going back to the statement that started this train of thought:

- If I'm going to carry a 2+ lb lens with potential for 8x magnification and I want to get the best detail possible, I'll carry the tripod and use it. I bought this lens with that in mind.

- If I'm going to carry an ultrawide lens and am shooting scenery that benefits from having maximum resolution, I'll carry the tripod and use it.

- This new Olympus will not be any different with respect to those uses, with those lenses, than any other body I choose to carry other than being smaller and lighter, and having only the LCD to work with for critical focus rather than an EVF or OVF. Since I use the LCD on both my G1 and L1 for this purpose now, and find it more suitable to providing a view for critical focus than the OVF on either the L1 or the E-1, the lack of an OVF or EVF on this new camera is also no big matter. The smaller size and weight of the body is a plus, of course.

The question not answered as yet is just how suitable the other controls are for working on a tripod like this and whether the camera offers IR or wired remote operation. In that respect, it remains to be seen whether it is really useful for this kind of thing. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

monza... CLASSIC!!!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Going back to the statement that started this train of thought:

- If I'm going to carry a 2+ lb lens with potential for 8x magnification and I want to get the best detail possible, I'll carry the tripod and use it. I bought this lens with that in mind.

- If I'm going to carry an ultrawide lens and am shooting scenery that benefits from having maximum resolution, I'll carry the tripod and use it.
    HI Godfrey
    I guess I simply don't take it seriously enough.
    It's at least 5 years since I've taken a tripod with me when going out to shoot.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey, turns out in-body stabilization is quite natural.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dPlkFPowCc
    Love it!
    I actually use my head as an IS assistant quite often, wedging it against a tree trunk or the ground

Just this guy you know