The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

micro 4/3rds adapter enhancement idea

would you like aperture control on the adapter

• yes

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • yes, and having it 'lockable' and releasable too would be nice

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • nope

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

pellicle

Hi

while we're all killing time before the Olympus offering gets here I thought I'd ask if anyone else here thinks that having manual control of stop down to selected f-stop on the legacy lens adapters would be useful?

Cast your mind back to pre automated lenses (if you can) and you may recall that many old lenses had a ring on the front to allow full open focus then a quick rotate to "closed" to stop down for taking aperture.

While focusing on the G1 is not quite as dim as the older SLR's the viewfinder does indeed struggle with lower light. Combined with telephoto depth of field precise focus is sometimes a little cumbersome. Sure I use the zoom tool to confirm focus but it can get jittery (indoors available light) especially with anything longer on the camera (like even a 50mm [equating to a 100mm]).

I found myself focusing wide open, then stopping down and taking. Sometimes I disturbed the focus when I was doing this. I have some Olympus lenses which happen to have the DoF preview on the side of the lens, so I thought Hmm, why not stop down with that button?

I took out the screw which moves the stop down lever on the back of the camera and tried it. Works a treat!

Now I also have FD lenses which I'd like to operate this way. I was thinking that when mounting the adapter you have to carefully engage the stop down lever or it will stay open all the time. The lever is over on the right in the photo below.

I'd say that a nifty modification would be to place a small lever where the coupling pin is and be able to stop down prior to taking by hand. I find that critical focus of my longer lens (300mm) is tricky fully stopped down. Sure I can focus it, but placing the plane of focus just where I want it to be is harder, and the lens looks much nicer at f8 than f4 ...

Looking at my adapter there is a thread there which would make it easy for the maker to fit such a thing and make it operate smoothly.

I'm going to propose this to Ciecio7 who makes adapters and point him at this thread so he can get some idea if other users would find this hand

so, what ya reckon?

jonoslack

Excellent idea
although, it's not as bad as it was, as the LCD / EVF does a gain so that you can see what you're getting brightly enough in most conditions.

I still think it's a good idea though.

V

Vivek

Pellicle, The m4/3rds to Olympus pen F adapter I made (and similar commercial adapters) function this way.

More the merrier.:)

m3photo

Why not

Because it would increase the already exorbitant price asked for them and I for one have got quite used to focusing wide open and then stopping down to take the shot - come on, we're only talking a second here and let's face it you're not shooting action with lenses adapted to a G1.

pellicle

I just thought I'd put this on my blog ...

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2009/06/manual-aperture-control.html

Vivek ... nice! Great minds think alike :) ... well sorry if you consider that a downgrade of your own self-rating ;-)

m3photo ... sure I'd hate to see the pices go up and its not essential ... but I like the method so much I'm seriously considering changing over fully to OM lenses.

I can say one thing though, the use of these lenses and adaptors has shown me just how precision the engineering is on these older lenses and cameras.

my OM stuff is a work of beauty!