Site Sponsors

Thread: hacking a lens to fit a C mount

Post Thanks / Like

hacking a lens to fit a C mount

Hi

I did a hack on a Computar lens to get it to fit an adaptor. I know at least Godfrey is interested to see what i did to the lens (it wasn't major)

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2009/06...fit-mount.html

I guess that this image will say it all for him :-)

now, off to take some pictures with it (rather than of it)

:-)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: hacking a lens to fit a C mount

Wow that's just what I was asking folks here about in terms of how to get lenses to fit better in the c-mount adapter. Is there anything you need to be aware about when you grind that edge? I have a Dremel with a grinder you think that will do it to smooth it out. I also don't want to ruin my tv lens granted it wasn't that expensive.

Thanks for that post and info.!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that picture and your excellent description on your blog for modifying the Comutar Lens. I have the similar issue with a 25mm 1.4 Cosmicar, but perhaps a little more filing may be necessary.

As soon as I receive my Hawk C adapter, I will make the modification. I have the little C Pentax 25mm 1.4, I'm hoping the Cosmicar lens may a little sharper. Here's a picture of my Grandaughter using the Pentax.

Pentax TV C lens 25mm f/1.4 at 1.4 - Grandaughter

Cheers,
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    Hi

I did a hack on a Computar lens to get it to fit an adaptor.

Last edited by slosync; 12th June 2009 at 06:50.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by gmoe View Post
    Wow that's just what I was asking folks here about in
    thanks, a bit of positive feedback goes miles :-)

terms of how to get lenses to fit better in the c-mount adapter. Is there anything you need to be aware about when you grind that edge? I have a Dremel with a grinder you think that will do it to smooth it out.
    actually a Dremel (well controled) would be prefect .. I found myself wishing for mine (which is back in Australia). I understand there is quite an amount on there to shave off, but I just took it carefully and slowly trying it from time to time.

I also turned the lens around and screwed it in from the back to see how much I should be expecting to come through too.

HTH

Post Thanks / Like

One pass on a turning lathe......just some seconds work...
    Less than 5 Minutes with a Dremel

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

some examples from today:

The lens seems to have quite some curvature of filed as the distance around the edges happened to be in focus when the foreground center was.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you! I've ordered one of Hawk's adapters ... eh? you can't take it with you ... ;-) ... as it looks like I can hack the Cosmicar 12.5mm similarly. Might as well have some fun with it.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hack away, gentlemen.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Hack away, gentlemen.

Is the rightmost lens in this set the Cosmicar 12.5/1.4? If so, that's a good guide to what I need to do for Hawk's adapter. :-)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yes.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi monza

these look like they've been turned down to suite the RJ mount ... no?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Actually they were machined to fit the Hawk but should work on any c-mount adapter. I added shims (in the form of metallic tape) to fine tune infinity...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

what's the stumpy one second from the right?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Carl Zeiss DDR Tevidon 25/1.4

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Taken with a Carl Zeiss DDR Tevidon 25/1.4

G1 - 16:9 format 1/25th f5.6 800 ISO hand-held (elbows firmly on the table).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Taken with a Carl Zeiss DDR Tevidon 25/1.4

Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    G1 - 16:9 format 1/25th f5.6 800 ISO hand-held (elbows firmly on the table).
    Very nice. Surely a lot more compact than the Summilux 25mm f/1.4 I've been using ... :-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Had some entertaining difficulties making the Cosmicar 12.5mm fit, but it's working fine now.

Panasonic G1 + Cosmicar 12.5mm f/1.4
    ISO 100 @ f/4 @ 1/320 sec
    flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdgphoto/3658294863/

enjoy

Ranger 9

Godfrey - looks good, although there seems to be a surprising lack of DOF for f/4... the bubbles in the espresso are sharp, but the spoon and truffles look to be OOF a bit.

Also, the vignetting along the edges of your shot looks quite straight-edged; I've got the 12.5/1.9 Cosmicar (the older, skinnier one) and its edge-falloff pattern is noticeably round.

-- Is the f/1.4 version "squarer"?

-- Or did you vignette the edges in post to blend in with the natural falloff in the corners? If so -- good trick! I'll have to try that myself.

patbon23

I am Italian and not speak English very well,
    how can I solve the problem of focus to infinity with a tevidon 25mm?
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Focus to infinity with a tevidon 25mm

Quote Originally Posted by patbon23 View Post
    I am Italian and not speak English very well,
    how can I solve the problem of focus to infinity with a tevidon 25mm?
    thanks
    Hello,
    On this page go to message number 8 - in the picture you will see 4 lenses, yours is the smallest one. If you don't have a lathe, print the picture and take it with you together with the lens and the adapter to a machine shop and explain that you need this part grinding down so it fits better in the adapter - this is why you aren't able to get infinity focus with the lens as it is.

I don't speak Italian, maybe you can understand some Spanish:

Hola,
    En esta página sube hasta el mensaje número 8 - en la foto verás 4 objetivos, el tuyo es el más pequeño. Si no tienes torno, imprime la foto y llévatela junto con el objetivo y el adaptador a un tornero y explícale que necesitas rebajar esta parte para que encaje mejor en el adaptador - esta es la razón por la cual no consigues enfocar al infinito con el objetivo como está.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    Godfrey - looks good, although there seems to be a surprising lack of DOF for f/4... the bubbles in the espresso are sharp, but the spoon and truffles look to be OOF a bit.

Also, the vignetting along the edges of your shot looks quite straight-edged; I've got the 12.5/1.9 Cosmicar (the older, skinnier one) and its edge-falloff pattern is noticeably round.

-- Is the f/1.4 version "squarer"?

-- Or did you vignette the edges in post to blend in with the natural falloff in the corners? If so -- good trick! I'll have to try that myself.
    Thanks for looking and commenting!

DOFmaster calculates that a 12.5mm lens on FourThirds format, focused to 9 inches and set to f/4, will render a total DoF of 1.5 inches. That seems about right, looking at this photo! ;-)

Yes, I add vignetting on these square compositions to blend in the hard corner vignettes a little more smoothly. I think it gives them a unique feel. The natural falloff to the edges of the lens coverage is another interesting adjustment this lens can make: at f/1.4, it has a natural center to edge falloff of about 1.5EV, at f/5.6 the falloff has disappeared, so there is a lot of different qualities to work with when I'm shooting and rendering.

daggerlee

Thanks for the great work pellicle!

I'm about to order a C-mount adapter from hawkpeng, but which one should I get? The "C5 type TV Bolex C Mount" or the "Bolex W1 C"? Apparently the second one can be used with Pen F and Robot lenses, with care. Both listings use the same pictures, but the second one is more expensive. Thanks!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

They are identical except the second one has set screws so it can work the Hawk's Pen F flange, an original Pen F Extension tube flange, or Hawk's Robot flange.

daggerlee

Thanks for the info monza, have ordered one of the basic ones. Thought about getting the one that can work with Pen F flange but am hoping that someone will soon put out a dedicated Pen F to M43...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The Hawk adapter in combination with the Pen F flange, is essentially a dedicated adapter. Jinfinance also has a dedicated adapter.

patbon23

Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    Hello,
    On this page go to message number 8 - in the picture you will see 4 lenses, yours is the smallest one. If you don't have a lathe, print the picture and take it with you together with the lens and the adapter to a machine shop and explain that you need this part grinding down so it fits better in the adapter - this is why you aren't able to get infinity focus with the lens as it is.

I don't speak Italian, maybe you can understand some Spanish:

Hola,
    En esta página sube hasta el mensaje número 8 - en la foto verás 4 objetivos, el tuyo es el más pequeño. Si no tienes torno, imprime la foto y llévatela junto con el objetivo y el adaptador a un tornero y explícale que necesitas rebajar esta parte para que encaje mejor en el adaptador - esta es la razón por la cual no consigues enfocar al infinito con el objetivo como está.
    this is my C-mount lens, has been hacked but I can't however to use it at infinity

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by patbon23 View Post
    this is my C-mount lens, has been hacked but I can't however to use it at infinity
    Mine does - on a HawkPeng C-Mount Adapter. Maybe you should try some more grinding?

patbon23

take with pentax 12.5mm at F11

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I did a hack on a Computar lens to get it to fit an adaptor. I know at least Godfrey is interested to see what i did to the lens (it wasn't major)

A lot of modern larger sensor format CCTV lenses do not fit. Older lenses for "TV" and 16mm movie cameras do tend to fit the RJ adapter, but the TV lenses often lack coverage because of the size of sensors back when. Of these lenses:
    -12.5mm f1.4 Cosmicar needs modification and does not quite cover the field.
    -25mm f1.4 Fujinon needs modificaction but covers the entire field of the G1, with vignetting that is gone by f11.
    -6mm f1.2 Computar fits and its image circle = 1/3 of camera field
    -18mm el cheapo Cosmicar fixed f1.6 aperture fits, but image circle doesn't cover the whole field.
    -little Pentax 110 24mm needs adapting but does cover the field in the G1.
    The 12.5mm and 25mm lenses are 1" CCTV lenses, the others cover smaller formats.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Hi, I am impressed by your work. Since I am not quite familiar with metalwork, may you post some pictures of your setup? I have some basic tools such as driller and a desktop polisher. I would like to know what kind of accessories I should have to trim it. Your demonstration really give me a more clear idea.

Many thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by pentacon6 View Post
    Hi, I am impressed by your work. Since I am not quite familiar with metalwork, may you post some pictures of your setup?
    Many thanks
    well, ok ... but I think you might be disappointed ... its just a table and my leatherman (which has a file on it). Totally nothing fancy.

as to my workmanship, heck I'm a bit shy about that, by metalwork standards its like the advice given by the cabinet maker to the carpenter

paint it and no one will notice

patbon23

After two hours of work , my cosmicar 12.5mm works , as soon as possible I'll send the pictures

patbon23

this is my "new" Cosmicar 12.5

Photo take F5.6 focus infinity

thearne3

Unhappy Re: hacking a lens to fit a C mount

Hi,

Just received my Computar 12.5mm f1.3 and before I start grinding, I have a question: should it rattle? When I shake it in the same axis as the light would pass through (lengthwise), there is a distinct sound of something moving inside. The sound is minimized when the aperture is wide open.

I have never had any lens behave this way. Is this unique to this model or a fault? The cosmetics of the lens 'like new'.

Any advice?

Thanks,
    Tom