The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tip for EOS to m4/3rds.....

Diane B

I have jinfinance's non-electrical contact EOS to m4/3rds adaptor on the way. When I learned he finally had one available for order, I considered it and decided it might be worthwhile to have--to use an EF Lensbaby that I never use on my EF bodies--and to experiment with my EF 45 f2.8 TS. Others are using the adaptor as the first in a stack with other adaptors.

The problem in using EF lenses (besides the fact they are generally big/heavy) is that one can't stop down because of the lack of the contacts. However, this evening there was a tip by a jcolwell on the FM forum that might make shooting with the EF lenses more practical.

The tip: he says (and another forum member confirmed he had used this tip) to set the aperture, then press the DOF button and keep pressing it as the lens is dismounted. This will set the aperture for use with the adaptor on the G1--or any other m4/3rds body.

This makes it much more possible to use my TS lens reasonably--likely I will set it at something like f/5.6 and leave it (or find that I like it close to wide open) as its less likely I will carry an EF body in order to change aperture. I'm also considering trying the Sigma 15 f/2.8 FE--and possibly the 50 f/1.4 and maybe the 28 f/1.8 as they are the smallest of my EF mount lenses (which I would prefer quite wide open or stopped down just a bit).

Diane

hot

The tip: he says (and another forum member confirmed he had used this tip) to set the aperture, then press the DOF button and keep pressing it as the lens is dismounted. This will set the aperture for use with the adaptor on the G1--or any other m4/3rds body.

Diane
THANX! It works :thumbup:

If you remove lens, aperture is "closed" :D

Use "A", select aperture, press DOF and dismount - aperture has selected value :p
Just tested with Sigma 18-200 OS.

scho

I have jinfinance's non-electrical contact EOS to m4/3rds adaptor on the way. When I learned he finally had one available for order, I considered it and decided it might be worthwhile to have--to use an EF Lensbaby that I never use on my EF bodies--and to experiment with my EF 45 f2.8 TS. Others are using the adaptor as the first in a stack with other adaptors.

The problem in using EF lenses (besides the fact they are generally big/heavy) is that one can't stop down because of the lack of the contacts. However, this evening there was a tip by a jcolwell on the FM forum that might make shooting with the EF lenses more practical.

This makes it much more possible to use my TS lens reasonably--likely I will set it at something like f/5.6 and leave it (or find that I like it close to wide open) as its less likely I will carry an EF body in order to change aperture. I'm also considering trying the Sigma 15 f/2.8 FE--and possibly the 50 f/1.4 and maybe the 28 f/1.8 as they are the smallest of my EF mount lenses (which I would prefer quite wide open or stopped down just a bit).

Diane
Thanks for the tip Diane. Just tried this with a 50mm f/1.4 and it works fine "pre-stopped down" on the G1 with the RJ adapter. I'm not crazy about focusing EOS lenses manually, but in a pinch works OK.