The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The consensus E-P 1 leak has arrived

R

Ranger 9

under 12 ounces with a metal body. nice.
And, apparently, a choice of red, green or black lens caps!

...at least for the 17mm lens. And you've gotta like the engraved gothic character (recalling the "gothic F" engraved on the front shoulder of the original Pen F, but presumably this isn't an "F"... is it a "P"? [oops, Monza found a pic that shows it really IS an F. See below.])

I also like the look of the thumb-roller input dial -- although if the camera body really is only 75mm high, my own personal thumb would overshoot it by about 20mm.

The sample images look nice (although when do sample images ever not?)

Last edited:
R

Ranger 9

You're right, of course. But why? If the camera is called the "E-P 1," what's F got to do with it?

At least this picture shows why the grip insert on the white one is beige: to match the INNER surface of the white leather neckstrap and case. Now that is really a coordinated accessory.

Maybe the F stands for "fashion"...

Diane B

The thing about the white one is that you surely won't be able to confuse it with any other small cam.

Diane

hot

pixels: 12.300.000
max. resolution 4032x3024
display 3", 230.000 pixels
OIS
video 1280x720, 640x480
size 120.5 x 70 x 35 mm
weight 335 g (body only)

V

Vivek

Just don't throw it in the same bag as your Kennedy K1 Monobar...

I regret not buying a fabulous sample with 2 backs, etc and the whole works, a few years ago.

I have a Hama (or Kenlock or something, same stuff- differently badged over time) bellows with all the movements. I have to add suitable fittings to it to use with my G1.

Diane B

I notice they refer to it as PE-1 rather than EP-1--or did the poster add those captions on the sample pics.

Diane

pollobarca

It answers 75%/80% of what is ideal for ME . I want the kit with 2 lenses and VF at 949 euro .But only after the initial rush, first firmware "upgrades" , and with a price that goes around 650 euro. So it will be for end summer 2010!
BTW the leather half case is the most probably the most under rated and useful accessory there is. I have one on my GX100 and its a boon. Wonder if oly will also copy the Ricoh LC1 lens cap for the zoom lens? With this I would be on 90% of MY ideal camera. All I need then is a wireless remote and a flip out LCD . The C5050z finally replaced?
rgds

paul

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
From a DPReview interview with Akira Watanabe, product planning manager of Olympus's SLR division at the E-P1 launch event in Berlin:
"When we launched Four Thirds we created a roadmap in response to calls from the market, we arranged them into a series of priorities and started to create those lenses. In Spring, we will launch at least a wide zoom or a high magnification zoom after that we will listen to voices from the market. If customers request prime lenses first, they'll be first on our priorities list."

These primes could follow the compact, 'pancake' design of the 17mm lens launched today: "this is our second pancake lens, following the 25mm F2.8 Four Thirds lens. The 25mm was very well accepted - better than we expected, so we will follow customer requests."
Sounds suspiciously like the business-as-usual Olympus lens development philosophy: zooms, zooms, and more zooms, plus a token prime or two (but only if it's a leap year, all the planets align, and the zoom-obsessed Olympus user base suddenly starts requesting prime lenses).

V

Vivek

If they had missed the EVF or the articulating LCD/TFT screen from their "market research", it shows how brilliant they are.:rolleyes:

"Some things are worth waiting for"? :confused:

Not.:(

m3photo

Shutter sound?

What I have yet to see confirmed is whether this will have the same "clacky" shutter sound as the G1. This is the only real niggle I have with my G1 - it's not "stealthy" enough.

monza

The only shutter related spec I saw was
"Computerized focal-plane shutter."

Not quite sure if that means it's the same as a G1 or not.

The Olympus rep will have a demo here this week, I'll let you know what the shutter sounds like. ;)

Brian Mosley

If they had missed the EVF or the articulating LCD/TFT screen from their "market research", it shows how brilliant they are.:rolleyes:

"Some things are worth waiting for"? :confused:

Not.:(
I know - how Leica ever managed to sell the M8 without an articulating screen is beyond me. :salute:

Let's see how it works in real life.

Kind Regards

Brian

Diane B

I agree--wait and see, but I do know from experience with the G1 that the only time I use the LCD for focusing MF lenses is on tripod. I don't really care much about 'articulating' LCD--but I know others do. I care most about a VF--and now that I've seen it with a zoom on, it loses appeal for me without the 17 f/2.8 or maybe the 20 f/1.7 (I don't do street shooting anyhow). The G1 with a 20 or 17 will be small enough for me. I know others like the size--and the styling (which I generally like very much also, but.....).

Diane

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I agree--wait and see, but I do know from experience with the G1 that the only time I use the LCD for focusing MF lenses is on tripod. I don't really care much about 'articulating' LCD--but I know others do. I care most about a VF--and now that I've seen it with a zoom on, it loses appeal for me without the 17 f/2.8 or maybe the 20 f/1.7 (I don't do street shooting anyhow). The G1 with a 20 or 17 will be small enough for me. I know others like the size--and the styling (which I generally like very much also, but.....).

Diane
The Dpreview interview with an Olympus executive says they are working on an EVF now. I think that one will be the genuine competition to the G1. But by then, Panny will have something new too.

kweide

I know - how Leica ever managed to sell the M8 without an articulating screen is beyond me. :salute:

Let's see how it works in real life.

Kind Regards

Brian
Leica always had an OVF. This was and is on my wishlist prio 1
But, okay, the new Oly isn´t that shabby or ?? And if it is true that thru MMF-1 adapter Zuiko Digital lenses can perform AF ( slow, what ever that means ) and there is somewhat readable control for manual focussed lenses that will be OK as well. BTW: My wish was D-LUX4 sized. OKAY it is now a little bigger but has an even bigger sensor as well.
This new OLY will establish a new market ! Small, compact mirrorless systems, with interchangeable lenses. LEICAs from OLY for the massmarket...

And i am happy it does NOT have a build in mini flash with GN 5 or so....My Metz58 AF-1 O will give that little E-p1 a strange look :) but it will work.
It is a pocketable cam not more and not less and it will have damned good picture quality... I have a spare place in my photobag.