Post Thanks / Like

Re: E-P1 is out....

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    ... (imaginary cameras don't take good pictures
    yes, they produce pale colors and have reduced DR

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

"Still, the point here is that the Olympus E-P1 virtually eliminates the advantage that APS-C has had over Four Thirds. " -- noise comparisons of EP1 vs. various DSLRs

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EP1/EP1A.HTM

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I wouldn't swap the size and looks for an EVF and a flash - so I think I'll go with the one we've got (imaginary cameras don't take good pictures
    I would. Can't stand the idea of having to use reading glasses to manual focus.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    I would. Can't stand the idea of having to use reading glasses to manual focus.
    paf - stop whinging and use contact lenses

Seriously, this camera is a compromise, just not as much of a compromise as a d-lux4. I don't much like composing on an LCD, but I don't like doing it on an EVF either, and adding a dreary viewfinder and a rubbish on board flash doesn't seem to me to be a good swap for a larger camera

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seriously, this camera is a compromise, just not as much of a compromise as a d-lux4. I don't much like composing on an LCD, but I don't like doing it on an EVF either, and adding a dreary viewfinder and a rubbish on board flash doesn't seem to me to be a good swap for a larger camera
    I do have to AGREE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The only important question for ma about this camera is:

Is the image quality at base Iso good enough so that with the camera mounted on a tripod it can produce 15 x 10 inch prints of landscapes as good as my 5D. if it is I can retire my 5D from that role because with a little camera I don;t mind carrying a tripod.

azul123

5D is fullframe and E-P1 is 2x crop, your choices of fast WA lens are limited.

../azul123

Post Thanks / Like

so, hows the "Art Filters" & "E portrait" working out... this might cLinch t' deaL for me :0)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, the OM Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 I snagged on Ebay arrived today. Thing of beauty and simplicity. I hope to have an E-P1 + OM adapter to try it out on soon.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

If you are looking for PDF brochures on the E-P1 ..

There is a scanned version of an official looking brochure here http://www.biofos.com/mft/ep-1_pre.html

and a downloadable PDF brochure here that looks different http://www.vistek.ca/marketing/produ...px?t=Resources

I also had a look at the video samples on the second link and was quite impressed.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tetchy, but funny and accurate

Cheers Jono, sure you can't join us in London? hope your supplier has a solid order!

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jokes aside... Not sure what contact lenses would fix... I use mine all the time but that doesn't help me focus at near range. A viewfinder would make that a non-issue. Then there's the issue of supporting handheld shots. With such a light camera, holding it with just two hands (and not supporting it with your eyebrow) is a major drawback WRT stability. It will be lightyears behind a massive rangefinder like an M with regards to handholdability.

Obviously it's possible to make a tiny built-in flash, I can only see pure greed (sell more accessories) behind the omission of a built-in flash. Plain stupid.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not a problem, 35mm at f11 my favourite settings.

Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    5D is fullframe and E-P1 is 2x crop, your choices of fast WA lens are limited.

../azul123

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Tetchy, but funny and accurate

Cheers Jono, sure you can't join us in London? hope your supplier has a solid order!

Cheers

Brian
    Well - it really wasn't meant to be tetchy - simply trying to be funny.

As for London, I think I'll be in Baku, and it's a long step from their to London!

As for the solid order - I'm sure it is, they do a lot of Olympus stuff, and I try not to by anything (except Leica) from anyone else.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jokes aside... Not sure what contact lenses would fix... I use mine all the time but that doesn't help me focus at near range. A viewfinder would make that a non-issue. Then there's the issue of supporting handheld shots. With such a light camera, holding it with just two hands (and not supporting it with your eyebrow) is a major drawback WRT stability. It will be lightyears behind a massive rangefinder like an M with regards to handholdability.

Obviously it's possible to make a tiny built-in flash, I can only see pure greed (sell more accessories) behind the omission of a built-in flash. Plain stupid.
    HI Lars
    it really was meant to be a joke. As for the contact lenses, it does actually help, but I need one for distance and one for close-up - this actually works very well, I do take your point with respect to the viewfinder - I think everyone would like one. However, personally, I cordially dislike EVF viefinders, and I never use a built in flash (really never).

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Then there's the issue of supporting handheld shots. With such a light camera, holding it with just two hands (and not supporting it with your eyebrow) is a major drawback WRT stability. It will be lightyears behind a massive rangefinder like an M with regards to handholdability.
    Don't forget it has image stabilization, there should be no worries about hand holdability.

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Don't forget it has image stabilization, there should be no worries about hand holdability.
    Image stabilization plus a stable hold is still going to be better than image stabilization plus an unstable hold...

... Wait! I've got it!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Be careful of using the 'pod' word, you might be up for trademark infringement.
    Last edited by monza; 21st June 2009 at 07:31.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ranger,

Nice idea.

Woudn't have worked, for this shot.

Old G1, a custom c-mount 12.5mm f/1.4 lens, the wretched swivel TFT screen came in handy.

Ranger 9

And to solve the problem of the LCD washing out in bright light, we could add this...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

How low can one go?

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Nice idea.

Woudn't have worked, for this shot.
    Nonsense, the Forehead-Pod would have let you get the same shot with an E-P 1 simply by standing on your head.

Hey, nobody said being fashionable was going to be easy...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Robert, Seriously, is that a shot from the E-P1?

Looks like banding (background) to me! Up until now, I suspected the "new" E-P had an edge over the "old" G1 in terms of image quality?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    Nonsense, the Forehead-Pod would have let you get the same shot with an E-P 1 simply by standing on your head.

Hey, nobody said being fashionable was going to be easy...
    Herewith, I tender my unreserved apologies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    If you are looking for PDF brochures on the E-P1 ..

There is a scanned version of an official looking brochure here http://www.biofos.com/mft/ep-1_pre.html

and a downloadable PDF brochure here that looks different http://www.vistek.ca/marketing/produ...px?t=Resources

I also had a look at the video samples on the second link and was quite impressed.

Tim
    I had a good look at the PDF from Vistek where I shop, and I am wondering...If I were to buy the camera will I also get the girl with it??

Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Image stabilization plus a stable hold is still going to be better than image stabilization plus an unstable hold...

... Wait! I've got it!
    ROTFLMAO!!!!
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Robert, Seriously, is that a shot from the E-P1?

Looks like banding (background) to me! Up until now, I suspected the "new" E-P had an edge over the "old" G1 in terms of image quality?
    Nope, that's a G1 shot with the kit lens. Otherwise I would have had my belly on the grass...that's not banding, just an out of focus building.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And to solve the problem of the LCD washing out in bright light, we could add this...

Thank you - you've made my afternoon.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

The question/problem: is there a lens for the EP1 that is as fast as the DLux4 glass? Right now looks like 17/2.8 (effective 34/2.8) vs 24-60 2.0/2.8. I use 24/2.0 a lot on the DLux4.

I actually like framing with LCD so that isn't an issue. And given my use last week, a little extra size relative to the DLux4 wouldn't be an issue and bigger sensor is always welcome, but a slow lens is a killer.

And if I have to spent $8K on a noctilux and adapter that isn't a solution

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You could order the CV Nokton 50mm f/1.1 for $1100 or do what I did: I bought a 50mm f/1.4 OM Zuiko on Ebay for $70.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    You could order the CV Nokton 50mm f/1.1 for $1100 or do what I did: I bought a 50mm f/1.4 OM Zuiko on Ebay for $70.
    Then I'm stuck with MF. I've done that in the past, and have found that my "style" (for what it's worth) is heavily dependent on AF. It is just the way that I shoot. I often am somewhat haphazard in framing and hold at odd angles where I can't really see detail on the display. Trying to do MF isn't really an option. I'm "guessing" at a lot of things, and having to add focus to the guess drops my "good" image percentage.

I did love the images I got out of my 58/1.4 CV though...but I just rarely used it. I'm a dangerous combination of being lazy and in a hurry

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    Then I'm stuck with MF. I've done that in the past, and have found that my "style" (for what it's worth) is heavily dependent on AF. It is just the way that I shoot. I often am somewhat haphazard in framing and hold at odd angles where I can't really see detail on the display. Trying to do MF isn't really an option. I'm "guessing" at a lot of things, and having to add focus to the guess drops my "good" image percentage.

I did love the images I got out of my 58/1.4 CV though...but I just rarely used it. I'm a dangerous combination of being lazy and in a hurry

Yes, you lose a stop from f2 to f2.8 you get it back in ISO performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Yes, you lose a stop from f2 to f2.8 you get it back in ISO performance.
    Hmm, good point. While I find 800 fine on the DLux4, 1600 becomes more of a "style choice". I suppose with sensors, size matters.

No wait, it isn't the size but how you use it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

robert,

did you find out if focus confirmation on legacy lenses is in the cards for the ep1??

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Manual focus works the same way as on the G1...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

so, no lights or other indicators like on the nikons when focussed??

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by lcubed View Post
    so, no lights or other indicators like on the nikons when focussed??
    Can't be done on a contrast-detect AF system. Nikon (and other) DSLRs have a phase-detect system, which can examine the image at a given moment and tell whether it's in focus or out of focus (and if out, by how far and in what direction.)

Contrast-detect can only monitor the contrast of the image as the camera trolls through its focusing range. It compares current to previous readings to tell whether contrast is increasing or decreasing, then stops the focusing movement when contrast stops going up and starts going down again.

I suppose this could be implemented manually via some kind of "nulling" indicator, such as a virtual needle that would indicate contrast level, or a two-color LED that would show whether contrast is increasing or decreasing as you turn the focus ring. But to casual users, that would make using the camera seem more complicated rather than less complicated, so I doubt if manufacturers go for it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, here's hoping that an E-P1 Pro model (my term, hopefully in all black) would include a phase-detect AF system and an EVF (even if it clips onto the hotshoe)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I very much doubt any micro 4/3 will ever have phase detect.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Well, here's hoping that an E-P1 Pro model (my term, hopefully in all black) would include a phase-detect AF system and an EVF (even if it clips onto the hotshoe)
    That would be E-P1u (u = useful)?
    (Can't be E-P2 as EP-2 is an eyecup)

I also think there is no chance of a phase detect implemented in an m4/3rds (no room) camera.

Contrast detect is, IMV, not all that bad in low light compared to phase detect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've just added a diary entry to our running Olympus Photo Safari Group team review of the E-P1... some observations on CDAF, eye level viewfinder in there.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Brian