The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-P1 is out....

Brian Mosley

paf - stop whinging and use contact lenses :ROTFL:

Seriously, this camera is a compromise, just not as much of a compromise as a d-lux4. I don't much like composing on an LCD, but I don't like doing it on an EVF either, and adding a dreary viewfinder and a rubbish on board flash doesn't seem to me to be a good swap for a larger camera
Tetchy, but funny and accurate :salute: :ROTFL:

Cheers Jono, sure you can't join us in London? hope your supplier has a solid order!

Cheers

Brian

Lars

Seriously, this camera is a compromise, just not as much of a compromise as a d-lux4. I don't much like composing on an LCD, but I don't like doing it on an EVF either, and adding a dreary viewfinder and a rubbish on board flash doesn't seem to me to be a good swap for a larger camera
Jokes aside... Not sure what contact lenses would fix... I use mine all the time but that doesn't help me focus at near range. A viewfinder would make that a non-issue. Then there's the issue of supporting handheld shots. With such a light camera, holding it with just two hands (and not supporting it with your eyebrow) is a major drawback WRT stability. It will be lightyears behind a massive rangefinder like an M with regards to handholdability.

Obviously it's possible to make a tiny built-in flash, I can only see pure greed (sell more accessories) behind the omission of a built-in flash. Plain stupid.

jonoslack

Tetchy, but funny and accurate :salute: :ROTFL:

Cheers Jono, sure you can't join us in London? hope your supplier has a solid order!

Cheers

Brian
Well - it really wasn't meant to be tetchy - simply trying to be funny.

As for London, I think I'll be in Baku, and it's a long step from their to London!

As for the solid order - I'm sure it is, they do a lot of Olympus stuff, and I try not to by anything (except Leica) from anyone else.

jonoslack

Jokes aside... Not sure what contact lenses would fix... I use mine all the time but that doesn't help me focus at near range. A viewfinder would make that a non-issue. Then there's the issue of supporting handheld shots. With such a light camera, holding it with just two hands (and not supporting it with your eyebrow) is a major drawback WRT stability. It will be lightyears behind a massive rangefinder like an M with regards to handholdability.

Obviously it's possible to make a tiny built-in flash, I can only see pure greed (sell more accessories) behind the omission of a built-in flash. Plain stupid.
HI Lars
it really was meant to be a joke. As for the contact lenses, it does actually help, but I need one for distance and one for close-up - this actually works very well, I do take your point with respect to the viewfinder - I think everyone would like one. However, personally, I cordially dislike EVF viefinders, and I never use a built in flash (really never).

monza

Then there's the issue of supporting handheld shots. With such a light camera, holding it with just two hands (and not supporting it with your eyebrow) is a major drawback WRT stability. It will be lightyears behind a massive rangefinder like an M with regards to handholdability.
Don't forget it has image stabilization, there should be no worries about hand holdability.

R

Ranger 9

Don't forget it has image stabilization, there should be no worries about hand holdability.
Image stabilization plus a stable hold is still going to be better than image stabilization plus an unstable hold...

... Wait! I've got it!

monza

Be careful of using the 'pod' word, you might be up for trademark infringement. :)

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Ranger,

Nice idea.

Woudn't have worked, for this shot. :(

Old G1, a custom c-mount 12.5mm f/1.4 lens, the wretched swivel TFT screen came in handy. :ROTFL::ROTFL:

R

Ranger 9

And to solve the problem of the LCD washing out in bright light, we could add this...

R

Ranger 9

Nice idea.

Woudn't have worked, for this shot. :(
Nonsense, the Forehead-Pod would have let you get the same shot with an E-P 1 simply by standing on your head.

Hey, nobody said being fashionable was going to be easy...

V

Vivek

Robert, Seriously, is that a shot from the E-P1?:eek:

Looks like banding (background) to me! Up until now, I suspected the "new" E-P had an edge over the "old" G1 in terms of image quality? :confused:

V

Vivek

Nonsense, the Forehead-Pod would have let you get the same shot with an E-P 1 simply by standing on your head.

Hey, nobody said being fashionable was going to be easy...
Herewith, I tender my unreserved apologies. :eek:

Bill Gordon

If you are looking for PDF brochures on the E-P1 ..

There is a scanned version of an official looking brochure here http://www.biofos.com/mft/ep-1_pre.html

and a downloadable PDF brochure here that looks different http://www.vistek.ca/marketing/product_launches/olympus-pen.aspx?t=Resources

I also had a look at the video samples on the second link and was quite impressed. :bugeyes:

Tim
I had a good look at the PDF from Vistek where I shop, and I am wondering...If I were to buy the camera will I also get the girl with it??:angry:

monza

Robert, Seriously, is that a shot from the E-P1?:eek:

Looks like banding (background) to me! Up until now, I suspected the "new" E-P had an edge over the "old" G1 in terms of image quality? :confused:
Nope, that's a G1 shot with the kit lens. Otherwise I would have had my belly on the grass...that's not banding, just an out of focus building.

nostatic

The question/problem: is there a lens for the EP1 that is as fast as the DLux4 glass? Right now looks like 17/2.8 (effective 34/2.8) vs 24-60 2.0/2.8. I use 24/2.0 a lot on the DLux4.

I actually like framing with LCD so that isn't an issue. And given my use last week, a little extra size relative to the DLux4 wouldn't be an issue and bigger sensor is always welcome, but a slow lens is a killer.

And if I have to spent $8K on a noctilux and adapter that isn't a solution :D

etrigan63

You could order the CV Nokton 50mm f/1.1 for $1100 or do what I did: I bought a 50mm f/1.4 OM Zuiko on Ebay for $70.