The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-P1 is out....

nostatic

You could order the CV Nokton 50mm f/1.1 for $1100 or do what I did: I bought a 50mm f/1.4 OM Zuiko on Ebay for $70.
Then I'm stuck with MF. I've done that in the past, and have found that my "style" (for what it's worth) is heavily dependent on AF. It is just the way that I shoot. I often am somewhat haphazard in framing and hold at odd angles where I can't really see detail on the display. Trying to do MF isn't really an option. I'm "guessing" at a lot of things, and having to add focus to the guess drops my "good" image percentage.

I did love the images I got out of my 58/1.4 CV though...but I just rarely used it. I'm a dangerous combination of being lazy and in a hurry ;)

Terry

Then I'm stuck with MF. I've done that in the past, and have found that my "style" (for what it's worth) is heavily dependent on AF. It is just the way that I shoot. I often am somewhat haphazard in framing and hold at odd angles where I can't really see detail on the display. Trying to do MF isn't really an option. I'm "guessing" at a lot of things, and having to add focus to the guess drops my "good" image percentage.

I did love the images I got out of my 58/1.4 CV though...but I just rarely used it. I'm a dangerous combination of being lazy and in a hurry ;)

Yes, you lose a stop from f2 to f2.8 you get it back in ISO performance.

nostatic

Yes, you lose a stop from f2 to f2.8 you get it back in ISO performance.
Hmm, good point. While I find 800 fine on the DLux4, 1600 becomes more of a "style choice". I suppose with sensors, size matters.

No wait, it isn't the size but how you use it.

R

Ranger 9

so, no lights or other indicators like on the nikons when focussed??
Can't be done on a contrast-detect AF system. Nikon (and other) DSLRs have a phase-detect system, which can examine the image at a given moment and tell whether it's in focus or out of focus (and if out, by how far and in what direction.)

Contrast-detect can only monitor the contrast of the image as the camera trolls through its focusing range. It compares current to previous readings to tell whether contrast is increasing or decreasing, then stops the focusing movement when contrast stops going up and starts going down again.

I suppose this could be implemented manually via some kind of "nulling" indicator, such as a virtual needle that would indicate contrast level, or a two-color LED that would show whether contrast is increasing or decreasing as you turn the focus ring. But to casual users, that would make using the camera seem more complicated rather than less complicated, so I doubt if manufacturers go for it.

etrigan63

Well, here's hoping that an E-P1 Pro model (my term, hopefully in all black) would include a phase-detect AF system and an EVF (even if it clips onto the hotshoe)

V

Vivek

Well, here's hoping that an E-P1 Pro model (my term, hopefully in all black) would include a phase-detect AF system and an EVF (even if it clips onto the hotshoe)
That would be E-P1u (u = useful)? :rolleyes:
(Can't be E-P2 as EP-2 is an eyecup)

I also think there is no chance of a phase detect implemented in an m4/3rds (no room) camera.

Contrast detect is, IMV, not all that bad in low light compared to phase detect.