Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: E-P1 is out....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

E-P1 is out....

Here is a preview at DCResource.

http://www.dcresource.com/

I'm a bit disappointed in some of the features.....like viewfinder (or lack thereof).

The 14-42 looks cute collapsed. Not so cute extended. Still can't see how easy it is going to be to "manually zoom, change settings, hold the camera away from you and take the shot.

just my two cents worth

Post Thanks / Like

Re: E-P1 is out....

Hmm. You slap a zoom on it and it no longer is very compact.

How about this? You get a 100% optical pentaprism viewfinder

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not impressed at all from initial specs/impressions either to be honest. I'm very glad I didn't wait on this and got a G1 at this point. The smaller size is nice and I wanted a second M 4/3 body but no viewfinder at all so to speak is a no deal on a $900 camera body. I may pick up the 17mm Pancake though. Hopefully Panasonic will sell the G1 body alone or with the 7-14mm lens as I still want that lens as well.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to say both cameras have their "do and don't".
    GH1 is the strongest video digital camera without sensor shift stabilizer.
    E-P1 is the smallest m4/3 digital with sensor shift stabilizer but not strong in HD video.

To all the fans of manual focus lenses, E-P1 is really more attractive for her
    technical spec. An interesting diversify market of photo or video shooting
    may be getting clearer.

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    Hmm. You slap a zoom on it and it no longer is very compact.

How about this? You get a 100% optical pentaprism viewfinder

Nostatic, believe it or not, when I looked at this photo of the K-7 plus the 40/2.8 Limited, I heard Jackie Gleason (as Ralph Kramden in The Honeymooners) saying: "How sweet it is!"

Post Thanks / Like

DSLR eunuch ?

optical pentaprism viewfinder is out

I heard Panasonic invented something new

Post Thanks / Like

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pentacon6 View Post
    I would like to say both cameras have their "do and don't".
    GH1 is the strongest video digital camera without sensor shift stabilizer.
    E-P1 is the smallest m4/3 digital with sensor shift stabilizer but not strong in HD video.

To all the fans of manual focus lenses, E-P1 is really more attractive for her
    technical spec. An interesting diversify market of photo or video shooting
    may be getting clearer.
    How can the E-P1 be "more attractive " for manual focus when it has to be held out at arms length to focus?

Olympus has forgotten what made the PEN F what it was.

'No matter how capable it may be, any camera you have to hold out in front of you like a tourist is not cool.'
    Dean Forbes

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    'No matter how capable it may be, any camera you have to hold out in front of you like a tourist is not cool.'
    Dean Forbes
    I'm not going to trash it completely, until I've used it... but considering there are 10x the number of P&S cameras out there - framing at arms length is by far the most common method these days.

You're more likely to look like a tourist using an OVF.

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Is there any hint about when the camera and lenses will actually be shipping? Amazon is already taking pre-orders ($699.99- body only, $799.99-899.99 for the kits, $229.99 for the 1.7). I'm going very slowly on this one. I think it will be important see the reviews and then get one in my hands before I make any judgment.
    Bob Trancho

Post Thanks / Like

Bob--I wondered when I saw that you said $229 for the f/1.7--but just having read the dcresource article, I saw that it is still the F/2.8 that was rumored.

My question is--what do you gain once you take off the 17? Not pocketable, no EVF, etc. Glad I bought the G1--and expect, unless the next iteration has a VF--that I will buy the GH1--or 2 or whatever, for my next m4/3rds body. I like its looks though *smile*--but pretty is as pretty does LOL.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's the link I got in an email for the EP-1

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...pr_09_06&li=im
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I don't like holding things at arms length either . . . but then I don't like EVF's, and I do like to be able to put something with good IQ into my pocket.

So, as long as the performance isn't like the DP1, the raw files are supported somewhere other than Olympus studio then I guess I'm on board.

The trouble with teaser campaigns like that is it gives us all the chance to imbue the new camera with all the features we'd like it to have. Which leads inevitably to an anti-climax.

For me, if you'd said:

slightly larger than a D-lux4
    Sensor image stabilisation
    IQ of a larger (4/3) sensor
    interchangeable lenses (ability to use all 4/3 lenses with autofocus)
    6400 ISO

six months ago, then I'd have bitten your hand off - today I've taken all that for granted and I'm left wanting more.

But which other camera even gets near to those characteristics? Added to which most other compacts either have no OVF or a terribly rudimentary and fundamentally useless one.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Sometime in July for ship date, the Olympus rep will be here this week with a demo and should have more info regarding availability.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that this camera will be just what the Doctor ordered for "Olde" Bill. Very small, compact, light and what the heck, I'll get used to used the LCD screen instead of a viewfinder!! I have to say that I am glad to have lived long enough to see the evolution of the camera. I started out in 1948 and have lived through all the changes in film and now digital. I lived in the darkroom with a hands on approach of a wet process..I have mastered to the degree I need Photoshop so what else can I say. Along the way I have met some damned good photographers who have happened to be great companions on a days outing with our cameras and over the years it has been a great experience. I will be 83 in a couple of weeks and I am still enjoying the hobby.

By the way, I think that of all the forums I like this one best of all!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like the pancake lens which is a useful 34mm equiv in 35mm speak. And I like the available viewfinder (since the Pen is SANS any EVF/TTL viewing system at this time. : ( That alone will make the Pen a fine pocketable camera. But I wished the speed would have been better than a paltry f2.8. (Interestingly, the Lumix LX3 and the Leica equiv. have an f2.0 zoom for 24-80mm equiv. in 35mm.)

Similarly, the zoom is not all that fast either. I was hoping some re-designs of their stellar zuikos would have made it to the MFT mount. Amazing optics. Smaller design. But the adapter is quite promising. (They're claiming full AF compatibility or so I think so now I'm wondering if that Olympus MFT adapter if put on the G1 or G1HD will allow FULL access to those juicy Zuikos as well. Hmmmmmmm.)
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Peter
    Well, if the ISO 6400 is any good, that should make up for the f2.8 (especially if you add in sensor stabilisation).

The LX3 doesn't really go above ISO 400 (IMHO).

I liked the bit on the first page of the Dpreview preview where Simon Joinson said that the lighter AA filter and more powerful processor seemed to be doing a good job with respect to sharpness and noise.

The lack of a decent viewfinder solution is a disappointment (but predictable considering the size). I think everything else looks rather promising.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hot View Post

Only two taken with the Oly zoom, the rest with the GH1 zoom. Not sure how much that really tells us...

Mingjai

I too am happy with the G1 and will be passing on the E-P1, though it is nice to have some company in the m4/3s product space. No EVF or articulating LCD are the major factors.

Looks like I'm also going to holding out for the mythical 20mm f/1.7 lens. While 17mm is an attractive focal length, f/2.8 only gives at most a 1 stop advantage over the 14-45mm kit.

Given that Olympus has chosen this form factor, I'd like to see a few more primes from them. A 12mm f/2.8 and a 40mm f/1.8 would be nice, as well as a 25mm f/2. They don't have to be pancakes--I'd be okay with anything that's smaller than the ZD 25mm + adapter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In addition to the lack of a viewfinder having the LCD be only 230K pixels means manual focus will be sharp as mud after magnification.

I am disappointed that with all the extra time Pentax took they didn't produce a better camera.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

DSLR eunuch ?

optical pentaprism viewfinder is out

I heard Panasonic invented something new
    (Bentsen)
    I've used an OVF. I've taken pictures with an OVF. You, Mr. EVF, are no OVF.
    (/Bensen)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    In addition to the lack of a viewfinder having the LCD be only 230K pixels means manual focus will be sharp as mud after magnification.

I am disappointed that with all the extra time Pentax took they didn't produce a better camera.
    Hmm - of course, a high resolution LCD is better - but I don't think it'll be bad for manual focus, the magnification won't reduce the number of pixels, (will it?) it'll just be a case of zooming in with the same number of pixels.

I also feel that Pentax might be a little peeeved to be dissed for producing the camera

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post

You mean Olympus, right? The K-7 actually has a 900K+ display. Along with a 100% OVF.

In all seriousness the EP1 looks nice, and it would be interesting so compare it side-to-side with my DLux4. But the DLux4 is barely pocketable, and the EP1 with anything other than a pancake is not pocketable. The question then becomes if it won't go in your pocket, how much are you willing to give up for the smaller size?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You mean Olympus, right? The K-7 actually has a 900K+ display. Along with a 100% OVF.

In all seriousness the EP1 looks nice, and it would be interesting so compare it side-to-side with my DLux4. But the DLux4 is barely pocketable, and the EP1 with anything other than a pancake is not pocketable. The question then becomes if it won't go in your pocket, how much are you willing to give up for the smaller size?
    I think it all hinges around the size of your pocket
    Still, I agree, part of me says that all this 'small camera' stuff is a load of old cobblers, and one may as well just settle for an M8 (or an Olympus E620 . . or a nice Pentax K7) and forget about pocketable.

I've had many many small cameras (the dlux4 being the latest in the line) none of them gets used much . . . not sure that this will be an exception.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No OVF (or tilting screen to make up for it) and a screen with the same resolution as my original 5D's (useless outdoors for anything and useless for judging focus), an AF system that is nowhere near that of the panasonic according to DPReview and on par with current SLR live view focusing? No internal flash (pocket cameras get used indoors! no fast primes either).

Think I'll pass and I've been waiting years for this....
    Last edited by Ben Rubinstein; 16th June 2009 at 08:32.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Bob--I wondered when I saw that you said $229 for the f/1.7--but just having read the dcresource article, I saw that it is still the F/2.8 that was rumored.

My question is--what do you gain once you take off the 17? Not pocketable, no EVF, etc. Glad I bought the G1--and expect, unless the next iteration has a VF--that I will buy the GH1--or 2 or whatever, for my next m4/3rds body. I like its looks though *smile*--but pretty is as pretty does LOL.

Diane
    Whoops, my error - I meant the Oly 17/2.8.

I agree with you Diane, once the 17 is off the camera it doesn't seem to offer many advantages to me. Probably for the best... I'll wait until the smaller Panny in the fall or version 2 of the E-P1 and save my pennies in the meanwhile. (Though the 20/1.7 is very tempting...)
    Bob Trancho

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Still, I agree, part of me says that all this 'small camera' stuff is a load of old cobblers, and one may as well just settle for an M8 (or an Olympus E620 . . or a nice Pentax K7) and forget about pocketable.

I've had many many small cameras (the dlux4 being the latest in the line) none of them gets used much . . . not sure that this will be an exception.
    oh sure, brag about your pocket size

I find that I use my DLux4 a lot these days. While it doesn't fit in a pocket, it does fit in a very small case that has a shoulder strap. It can get tossed in a backpack or just thrown over my shoulder. Lots of situations where I will grab that over the dSLR...like riding a bicycle (it'll fit easily in a fanny pack).

I think the EP1 could see the same type of use, but only with a pancake. With a zoom it really is just a smaller, lighter dSLR (with arguably lower iq than APS-C). For some that is a big deal - eg my g/f vastly prefers her G1 to my Pentax. It just fits her hand better and is a lot less weight to haul around. But she does have to haul it around - in a camera bag with her extra lens.

So this class of camera is either a brilliant compromise or a permanent resident in no-man's land. Depends on the user.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's wait for Pana :-))))

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very cute. A few thing I would have liked to see:
    - A tiny built in flash. External flash means bringing a camera bag, there goes portability.
    - Better manual focusing and viewfinder. Anyone try to hold a camera still with both arms extended? Negates what IS brings. An eye level finder means supporting the camera with your forehead as well as arms, I wouldn't be surprised it you lose 2-3 stops in acceptable shutter time when holding the camera with extended arms. This is not a good idea.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like

eg my g/f vastly prefers her G1 to my Pentax. It just fits her hand better and is a lot less weight to haul around. But she does have to haul it around - in a camera bag with her extra lens.

So this class of camera is either a brilliant compromise or a permanent resident in no-man's land. Depends on the user.
    She could stick it in her smallish handbag rather than haul an extra camera bag--I do that occasionally--and even stick in a small MF lens.

I agree--its either a brilliant compromise or a permanent resident in no man's land. I know there are some that this is perfect for--not me however and I know how I feel about shooting handheld with an LCD (though the G1 is far better because of the tiltable LCD) from the G9. I just don't end up carrying a 'small' camera without a VF.

I've gone from my 5D to a G9 to a 400D--none right until the G1 which can be extraordinary flexible--go with one MF small fast lens, the quite smallish and quite good kit zoom--or go full bore with WAZ, etc---which is still WAY lighter/smaller than same kit for my 5D (I just packed both for a trip--and wonder if I should just leave the 5D at home, but won't this time--the 12-24 may make it worthwhile.

Diane

mattyUK

Hiya, I was previously registered with totallynatural user name but my email got spammed out so deleted it.

I currently use a D300 and GX100 and due to arthritis am looking at a smaller lighter system that I can carry everywhere. The EP-1 (pre-release) looked ideal, until I read about of slow (admittedly pre-production dpreview sample) AF and lack of EVF. For me an EVF is crucial especially (hence purchasing GX100) in bright sunlight and if there are no DOF markings on lenses for MF. My eyesight is also not too hot and I do not like using LCD's even good ones tend to wash out.
    Is this panasonic picture for real? If so is there a release date? If it had the G1's contrast detect system and a variation of its EVF as shown mounted on hotshoe this would fulfill my requirements for replacing my d300 & GX100. I also assume the bit to the left of the EVF is a pop up flash.
    I love the EP-1 design but think Oly unfortunately missed the mark by not making an EVF for it.

Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seems to me with the 17mm and finder, it's useful.
    I'm a VF shooter so the camera appeals to me but I
    still will hold on to the DP1.
    With that zoomie...and the screen, there's
    better cameras out there.....
    Now it's about IQ.......we'll see soon enough....
    shooter

Post Thanks / Like

@ mattyUK

I think "Panasonic's camera" is only a so-we-wish-it ... but who knows ? ? ? ;-)

GH1next?

When is this Panasonic version due out?

Got any specs you can share?

Like will it have Inbody image stabilization or is panasonic sticking with O.I.S. glass?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

@ mattyUK

I think "Panasonic's camera" is only a so-we-wish-it ... but who knows ? ? ? ;-)
    Yes - I fear so, it looks fab, and a 12-42 lens Aaaaahhhhh!

Just this guy you know

robertasumendi

Just curious, does no one here with a G1 use the LCD to manual focus? I do it all the time... not at "arm's length" but a foot or so away. It's super-useful! Though I have to say the articulation is a big part of that.

E-P1 seems like a cool camera, but pity about the slow, night-blind AF. The whole point of this form factor is to ditch the VF, so I don't really understand the whinging there.... but the AF is not something to mess up on any camera, regardless of the size.

I think the best news is the dpreview interview w/Olympus saying they're open to doing more primes sooner than later based on market demand.... Let's start a campaign for the 17mm 1.4 and the 25mm 0.95

mattyUK

@ mattyUK

I just had a scout around and there stuff about panasonic producing a competitor (on m4/3 rumours) due in sep/oct (unsurprising) but who knows?... Hopefully pany will deliver. Still bit gutted about EP-1, feels a bit like an anti-climax, I was sure an EVF would be announced at launch but alas not.

Robert - I wholeheartedly agree that point if it is to be small with no built in VF, however having the option for an hotshoe mounted EVF would be great for those like me whose eyesight is a bit ropey (I find data on GX100 EVF easier to see than on its LCD).

Fingers crossed a pany materialises in near future and looks as goods as this pic, though I would be a bit worried about lack of visible manual controls and 'slippery design', no rubber grip (i'm one of the 'lucky few' to get really sweaty hands, not ideal with slippery cams, nightmare with my iphone ) ...would love ricoh Gx/GRD style body scaled up with m4/3 sensor. Not sure I can wait that long though
    Last edited by mattyUK; 16th June 2009 at 09:31. Reason: adding another reply

Ranger 9

In other words, it really IS a true successor to the Pen F series!

Back when I had a Pen FT, I wanted so much to love it... it was so cool, such a great concept. But it wasn't much more versatile than cameras that were a lot more compact, and wasn't really much more compact than cameras that were a lot more versatile. And there was no getting around that an 18x24mm negative had significantly less image quality than a 24x36mm negative.

Then again, there were (and are) people for whom it was just perfect, and who never really found anything that completely replaced it.

So here we are again, with the Eepy One.

As I posted in the now-obsolete leak thread, it looks to me as if the sweet spot right now is the version with the 17mm lens and the optical finder.

This would give you less-slow autofocus (compared to the zoom) and a finder you can use in bright light. In dimmer light you'd also have the option of using the LCD, which would be handy for close-ups etc.

(Better yet, when Pana's 20/1.7 finally appears, you can throw the 17 in a drawer and put the 20 on your Eepy One instead. I'm guessing the optical finder won't be any less inaccurate for framing 20mm shots than it will for 17mm shots. And with ISO 6400, in-body stabilization, and an f/1.7 maximum aperture, you'd have a pretty formidable little low-light machine.)

I love to imagine doing a grand tour of Europe with nothing but the Eepy One with 17mm lens and my gorgeous supermodel girlfriend (hey, if you're going to fantasize, go all the way with it)... grabbing brilliant casual shots of her framed through the optical finder, then pulling her into romantically-lit alleyways to line up beautifully-composed shots in front of charming architectural details on the LCD. It really is the ideal camera for just such an imaginary lifestyle.

On the other hand, the zoom option is too mundane to make a lot of sense. People who want a small, slow-focusing camera with a slow zoom lens and an LCD-only finder have lots of other choices from the compact-camera realm, most of them much less expensive and even more compact. (But of course this is the version that most casual consumers will buy. I mean, you've gotta have a zoom, don't you?)

As for the small but dedicated band of adventurers who enjoy using the weird, wild array of manual-focus lenses accessible via adapters... well, squinting at the LCD at arm's length while trying to focus a Macro Switar will pall quickly, and they'll go back to the Panasonics.
    Last edited by Ranger 9; 16th June 2009 at 09:49.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    In other words, it really IS a true successor to the Pen F series!

Back when I had a Pen FT, I wanted so much to love it... it was so cool, such a great concept. But it wasn't much more versatile than cameras that were a lot more compact, and wasn't really much more compact than cameras that were a lot more versatile. And there was no getting around that an 18x24mm negative had significantly less image quality than a 24x36mm negative.
    Beautifully put . .. but I don't think that the IQ issue is so relevant here (4/3 produces pretty decent images that can be printed big - and it seems that this will not disappoint here).

However. The pana LX3 is more compact, the G1 is more versatile . . . and the E620 even has an optical viewfinder . . . and then there is the new Pentax!

It really isn't so much of a no-brainer as it seemed at first.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Nice era to be shooting pictures, eh? The only problem is finding the one that really "speaks" to you. I have to admit that the DLux4 is a keeper for me just based on low light performance and size.

I like the G1 but wouldn't own one - the ergos just don't work with my hands. Neither did the Pentax Km. I'm hoping that the K-7 is "just right", inbetween the Km/G1 size and the K20d.

But in the end every solution is a compromise. And as had been said many times, the best camera is the one you actually have with you. If the EP1 ends up being a camera that influences people to carry it when they might not otherwise do so, then it is incredibly valuable. If however most find it to be a "tweener", then it will be doomed to niche at best status.

With digital though, there's always another model just on the horizon...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

looks good to me. beautiful design, nicely conceived and complete. a very compact complement to my existing E-1/L1/G1 plus lens kit. kinda reminds me of when my kit was Nikon F3 SLR and Leica M4-P RF, only this time I get to use the same lenses on both. :-)

can't wait to see one in the flesh. with 17mm lens and OVF fitted, it will be a natural for a lot of the photography I like to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It certainly does. The E410 + 40-150 fits easily in my coat pocket.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by davemillier View Post
    It certainly does. The E410 + 40-150 fits easily in my coat pocket.
    That's some coat Dave . . . in that case I wonder if you could get an A900 with the 24-105 minolta in it (that's what I've been wandering around with today).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Proof!

http://www.whisperingcat.co.uk/pocket2.jpg

That's some coat Dave . . . in that case I wonder if you could get an A900 with the 24-105 minolta in it (that's what I've been wandering around with today).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll probably get an EP1 with pancake lens. One focal length. Stuff zooms on compacts.

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    looks good to me. beautiful design, nicely conceived and complete. a very compact complement to my existing E-1/L1/G1 plus lens kit. kinda reminds me of when my kit was Nikon F3 SLR and Leica M4-P RF, only this time I get to use the same lenses on both. :-)

can't wait to see one in the flesh. with 17mm lens and OVF fitted, it will be a natural for a lot of the photography I like to do.
    I agree completely. Cool camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If a coat's not enough, get one of the photog's vests -- the pockets are quite big enough.
    Sláinte

Robert.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    If a coat's not enough, get one of the photog's vests -- the pockets are quite big enough.
    I'd be divorced on the spot . . . but the real truth is that I never really put a camera in a pocket. I think that Quentin has it, and if there's another pancake to put in another pocket

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Will Leica M lens's with the use of an adapter, work with this camera?