Site Sponsors

Thread: avoid Panasonic update ...

Post Thanks / Like

avoid Panasonic update ...

... if you use 3rd party batteries !

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...c_battery.html

Post Thanks / Like

Re: avoid Panasonic update ...

Thanks for your reminding. But I think it can't detect all of them, I believe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Excellent information !

My 2 third party accus arrived just a week ago, I'm quite happy with them till now, but early time to tell of course.

Lets just hope Panasonic will not include this firmware update in future important updates !

Anyway, what's the good of updating a camera or a lens, if you are happy with the way it works before !

C U
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

Post Thanks / Like

Another reason to not buy Panasonic anymore....
    In the next steps you will see Panasonic providing a digital code to all its electronic equipment of G1+GH1. Only original mics will work and only original SDHC cards will record on that system. Oh boy that is poor....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I cherish all my children Panasonic and Olympus too, even when one of them sometimes makes a dumb mistake!
    Michiel

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by kweide View Post
    Another reason to not buy Panasonic anymore.....
    it is of course a subject I feel strongly about, but how do I avoid buying the only camera which does what I want? I wish there was another method of sending them a message.

Next thing they'll set in a counter for usages and say "no go with more than 100 charges"

hmmm

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm starting to think some camera companies doing with batteries what printer companies have done with ink. Make it where you have to buy their brand.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like

While I don't appreciate mandating proprietary marketing, I'm really not all that worked up about this battery issue. I purchased an extra Panasonic battery for my G1 from B&H for $69.00, and I'm satisfied that I don't have to concern myself with the functionality of a third-party battery that may or may not work properly and safely. Just not that big a deal to me.
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by RonSmith View Post
    Just not that big a deal to me.
    we have 4 cameras here at home, taking batterys and chargers is a pain in the butt when we go on a trip. Now back when I could realistically say "AA only" then I can use those batteries in

• my Flash,
    • all my Cameras (no matter which two I might take)
    • my portable light box,
    • my toothbrush
    • interior camp light

and I only need one charger (which I can cycle batteries in). Its just one more bit of gear to take and people underestimate just how good AA NiMH batteries are.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree completely. It would be wonderful if everything ran on AAs.

My point was limited to the fact that the G1 takes a specific battery, and (since I obtained just one extra) I purchased the Panasonic battery even before all this drama erupted. I tend not to trust off brand batteries. I'm sure some are perfectly good ... but you don't know you have a bad one until it's ruined your camera or caught fire.
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I take my full kit on a long road trip have to deal with the following battery gear:

2 Canon BP511 chargers
    1 M8 charger
    1 R-D1 Charger
    1 Ricoh GR-DII charger
    1 charger for the Macbook
    1 four way spliter for in car charging.
    1 six outlet power strip when in a motel.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by RonSmith View Post
    I agree completely. It would be wonderful if everything ran on AAs.
    ok ... sorry if I was preaching to the Choir :-)

I tend not to trust off brand batteries. I'm sure some are perfectly good ... but you don't know you have a bad one until it's ruined your camera or caught fire.
    never in my life seen or known anyone who's ever had that happen. I personally think its a myth distributed by the makers.

I do know of the Dell and Mac overcharging issue on some laptops, but that was the charging circuit, which is not in the camera. So at worst you might have to fear a melt down of your charger. (*and I do have some qualifications and experience in electronics, so I'm not just an uninformed opinion)

Post Thanks / Like

Today I read in another forum of someone, who has two 3rd party batteries - they last longer than original battery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My Storetek batteries take a larger change and last longer then the two canon batteries did in the 5D.

Mike Johnston

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Only politics can regulate and force companys to stopp this mess of different adapters, inkcartridges and cellphoneplugs. But the it is cheaper to throw your printer away when there is a little problem. My last Canon printer costs € 30,-- cheaper then the B/W and colourgartridge together. Etc etc.
    When you walk around on dumpmarkets you can find piles of phonechargers with their different little plugs. Talking about extra waste and the environment.
    It' exclusivity on the wrong grounds.
    Nothing to do about it, we will have to keep on lugging all those different neccesitys around.
    I sympathize with you all.
    Michiel

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    never in my life seen or known anyone who's ever had that happen. I personally think its a myth distributed by the makers.
    Evidently you missed this Nikon episode, and that was with the maker's own battery! So I'd think it's certainly possible for it to happen with third-party batteries as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, chargers, but until recently I was in better shape--all my Canons took the same batteries. Then, of course, laptop, phones, PDA (sometimes). Now I have to add the G1 also, but the Canon's chargers fold up smallish at least. Not so bad.

I've had good luck with printers--my 3800 is several years old and going strong and I still have my 2200 working if I need it. My old 1280 was given to Habitat for Humanity store with a few carts as I have with other non-photo printers in the past. We have given old cells/chargers to women's groups that work with the providers to give them to abused women. I try to recycle--but its tough. I don't see any standardization on the horizon so I guess we'll have to continue to do our best and push for changes.

Diane

olyinaz

Sadly, I have a friend who's telescope shop burned down one night due to off-brand Canon-replacement lithium batteries going up when on the charger. I don't think it's a myth at all that there are some bad manufacturers out there but I also think that there are reputable after market battery makers who make good products. However, it often seems as though good replacement batteries are fairly pricey as well.

Cheers,
    OLy

Post Thanks / Like

Next thing they'll set in a counter for usages and say "no go with more than 100 charges"

hmmm
    Sort of like what another large Japanese manufacturer does with printer ink cartridges--long before they are actually empty. And then they threatened to sue people who sell third party cartridges.

That little game messed up a lot of us who use B&W carbon inks on (ahem) printers.

Seriously, it's a good idea to know if your battery has proper safety circuits to prevent shorts that would cause it to burst into flame. And there are countries (double ahem) where such concerns would be low on their priority list (adding poisonous substances to baby formula comes to mind). But this sounds to me like leveraging the customer's safety concerns to enhance the revenue stream... (triple ahem).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I was waiting for an update that would address the kludginess with focussing manual lenses on the G1, and instead they bring us this nasty attempt at avoiding prize competition on their extremely expensive "original" battery packs....

I feel like someone just slapped my face with a beer-soaked towel...

Why, oh why would a nice manufacturer suddenly adopt Epson´s unpleasant practice with their d-mn chipped cartridges?

BOOO, Panasonic!!!!!

And don´t give us that nonsense about risk of fire: there have been instances, but just as often with "original" packs; they´re not any safer than most independents....

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    Evidently you missed this Nikon episode, and that was with the maker's own battery! So I'd think it's certainly possible for it to happen with third-party batteries as well.
    thanks for bringing that one to my attention I had missed that one. However I see that it says:

There have only been four confirmed reports of incidents of the problem worldwide
    out of how many cameras?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by olyinaz View Post
    Sadly, I have a friend who's telescope shop burned down one night due
    its interesting how memory cues work. My good friend had his house damaged badly when a flash unit caught fire on the table (everyone was asleep). It had powered down (auto power off) and had been left sitting on the table.

This was using alkaline batteries ... and it was the flash.

I'd never have thought it had the capacity for a house fire if you'd have asked me either!

:-)

Post Thanks / Like

someone has calculated that ink consumption (original ink) is ~ five times as expensive as the printer's price.

Perhaps Panasonic should sell their batteries for $ 500 ....

Post Thanks / Like

har, har, har, har ....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hot, I went through >2000 listings on eBay but can't find that battery you show.

Could you provide a link? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

How do you search? For naked girls?

battery

batteries

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did search for the battery that you showed. The links you give here are not for them either?

Where did you buy the "SIDO", 1400 mAH, 7.2V battery?

Post Thanks / Like

It's the first link

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks! Ordered some.

It would be useful to everyone if you could compare the original and the knock-off in terms of performance (how many frames approximately with full charge and the like).

I will when I get mine.

BTW, there something odd about the battery prices in the Netherlands (perhaps true for the EU zone as well?). Every damn battery in a shop is 3-5X times the price from eBay or online shops, even for the very same ones.

Post Thanks / Like

If you buy nonames - f.e. at amazon marketplace - you also pay 20-30 €.
    From Honkong the price is € 9.35, including wrapping & porto (~ HK$ 7) - so the dealer gets ~ € 8 . Delivery takes 4-6 days.

It's funny, Panasonics batteries are (also) "Made in China" .. perhaps they come out from the same machine :-}

Since years I use my Canon-nonames for € 4.99, always working well. Often shipping is more expensive than battery :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the batteries can be actually from exactly the same manufacturer and machine.

It is known to be a common practice to produce extra volume of product, in addition to the order from Panasonic, and called them 'rejected'. Those so called 'rejected' will later be shipped to another shop to put a different label/brand on and go to the market. The owner of the factory may not even know about the 'rejects'.

If you worry about buying things from China, you may as well make your own products .
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    http://www.pbase.com/stephenl

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got them. Thanks, hot!

Works as well as the original (perhaps better, I will go through one charge to compare..)

Ranger 9

USER: Hello, Panasonic? My camera seems to be all melty. Obviously a manufacturing defect. Please replace it immediately under warranty.

PANA: Sorry, it's not our responsibility. You were using a third-party battery which had internal resistance that did not meet our specifications, causing it to overheat.

USER: But the batteries look exactly the same!

PANA: You can't measure internal resistance by looking. That's why we put out a firmware update that disables use of third-party batteries.

USER: I know, but I didn't install it because I wanted to be able to use third-party batteries. They might be exactly the same as the manufacturer battery. They might even have come from exactly the same plant. It says so on the Internet, and the Internet doesn't lie!

PANA: Whatever. But by putting out a firmware update and a warning, we expressly directed against use of third-party batteries. We consider disregard of our directions to be abuse, so we do not consider the damage to be covered by your warranty.

USER: You mean just because I didn't update my firmware and disregarded your warning, you are going to ignore my complaint?

PANA: We mean that if you use non-approved batteries, you're on your own, pal.

USER: Well, I think you are big poopy heads! You should honor your warranty no matter what people do to their cameras. I am going to hire a lawyer and sue you.

PANA: Why pay to hire a lawyer when you can get great legal advice on the Internet for free?

USER: You think I'd be stupid enough to use cheap, cut-rate legal advice I found on the Internet?

PANA: Sheesh. [click]

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wonder if Olympus disables 3rd party PS BLS-1 knock offs.

Perhaps the E-P is impervious to the Panasoic meltdown?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually people are having problem on the E-P1 as the knock off batteries aren't fitting into the camera properly.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry, I am sure there are knock offs that fit. I have not experienced any problems with the 3rds party batteries I have on the E-410.

FWIW, my current G1 has lost two of the lens contacts during one experiment. So, no worries about AF or OIS blowing up.