The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question about hot shoes.....

Diane B

Since I've shot with the same system for years, I've always assumed that hot shoes were pretty standard for a long time. I got a surprise last night when I tried my Voigtlander external 35 VF in the hot shoe of my G1. It won't slip in at all--fits all of my Canons though slightly loose in my G9. I was thinking in the terms of the EP-1 (not planning to buy it, but someone wondered about the other external VF available, so I tried it).

So-curiosity is now making me wonder why I can't fit it in the G1 hot shoe. And--if I decide to buy a 3rd party flash for the G1, like a Metz perhaps, would it fit?? Anyone else with a very tight hotshoe on their G1??

Diane

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Since I've shot with the same system for years, I've always assumed that hot shoes were pretty standard for a long time. I got a surprise last night when I tried my Voigtlander external 35 VF in the hot shoe of my G1. It won't slip in at all--fits all of my Canons though slightly loose in my G9. I was thinking in the terms of the EP-1 (not planning to buy it, but someone wondered about the other external VF available, so I tried it).

So-curiosity is now making me wonder why I can't fit it in the G1 hot shoe. And--if I decide to buy a 3rd party flash for the G1, like a Metz perhaps, would it fit?? Anyone else with a very tight hotshoe on their G1??

Diane
Diane, I just tried my Voigtlander 21mm and 28mm on the G1 and they fit perfectly. They are a bit loose on my Canon G10

Keith

Diane B

Strange--I'm afraid to force it--well, just even tried that and it won't budge a bit. Wonder if the hotshoe has gotten contracted in some way--

Hmmm---just held my mouth differently LOL--actually put one side in before other and jiggled--and jiggled--and it finally went in. Now--it slides in--a bit reluctantly, but at least won't fall out like on my G9. Perhaps there was something in the hot shoe I couldn't see that was hindering pushing it in. I actually pushed with as much force as possible--and nothing--until I tried putting the one side in a bit before the first and voila'.

Well, thanks for trying Keith so I knew to try again. NOW--if I would decide to buy the EP-1 I'm set (though its very unlikely unless I win the lottery because I don't 'need' the camera).

Wow--I always thought the finder was wonderfully big and bright (relatively, of course--used on the G9) but though I can easily compose (considering its 3:2--using the top bright lines and knowing the composition extends below the bottom bright lines), its nowhere near as bright as the EVF on the G1--I'm sitting in my fairly dark office.

Diane

f6cvalkyrie

Hi Diane,

I just tried it on my G1 with a TERRIBLY old Mecablitz 303B L23BC, that my father used to put on his Nikon.

Unbelievable, not only did it fit into the hotshoe straight away, but, also, I was able to shoot a pic within just a few seconds with an external flash. The accus (4x AA Alkalines from UCAR) are probably in since more than 15 years, but they still make the flash fire !

Just to show you, here's our Jack Russell Terrier, Snoopy ! He's approx the same age as the accus :D:D

C U,
Rafael

Diane B

Hi Diane,

I just tried it on my G1 with a TERRIBLY old Mecablitz 303B L23BC, that my father used to put on his Nikon.

Unbelievable, not only did it fit into the hotshoe straight away, but, also, I was able to shoot a pic within just a few seconds with an external flash. The accus (4x AA Alkalines from UCAR) are probably in since more than 15 years, but they still make the flash fire !

Just to show you, here's our Jack Russell Terrier, Snoopy ! He's approx the same age as the accus :D:D

C U,
Rafael
Snoopy--love old dogs. We just lost our old lady Kate and now have to contend with a 2 yr. old teenager LOL.

Gosh--15 yr. old batteries--amazing.

Diane

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Diane,
I just put a 15mm Voigtlander finder on my G1 with no problems.
I do remember that the Leica brand flash for my M8 was very tight, so I used a little fine sandpaper and just removed a little bit of the plastic. You probably don't want to do that unless you will only be using the finder on the G1.

Diane B

My second post noted that I had gotten it to work. Keith's post made me try again--if one worked, then all should. I had to put one side in, then the other and jiggle quite a bit. It finally relented. I suspect there was something in there I couldn't see but became dislodged as I jiggled the edges of the finder. So--now it works on both.

Really, I have no reason to use it on the G1--the reason I tried it was because on another forum someone was wondering about finders other than the Oly for the EP-1. I suspect that my Voigtlander 35 would be just the ticket--so set the 14-45 to 17 and tried the finder. It works great--and so if I should get the EP-1 (doubtful at this point LOL), I have just the VF for the 17 f/2.8.

I love the EVF on the G1 so don't need an external. But--it bugged me that it wouldn't slip into the hot shoe LOL--even with very forceful tries, but straight in--so I think the way I tried, one side then the other--dislodge the errant 'whatever'.

Diane

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Diane,
Sorry, I read too fast. I guess I was more interested in the dog and you and your "teenager".
I'm only getting the 17 f/2.8 for now. I carry my G1 with me in my purse and I can only think that with the smaller lens, it will be nicer to carry. I would love the built-in IS, but the thought of losing the EVF just doesn't make it attractive to me. Maybe the model later this year with an EVF will be for me.