Site Sponsors

Thread: EOS to m4/3rds adaptor

Post Thanks / Like

EOS to m4/3rds adaptor

I just got my jinfinance EOS to m4/3rds adaptor. Its quite well made, light and works fine--very secure.

I first tried my 45 T/S--I KNOW that I love the MF assist with it. I think I will enjoy using it but didn't play too much with it. I put on my 15 f/2.8 FE--and it will be a really nice 'faster' wide--so I won't buy the 17 f/2.8 and wait for the 20 f/1.7. Its not fishy at all on a 4/3rds--just more of a WA bit of distortion, so it will serve me fine for now. Tried the Lensbaby--fun, then tried a variety of other fast primes. Not sure how many I would use, but I will use the FE, the TS, the LB--so it was worth it.

Samples to follow. Also--the 'tip' I posted about stopping down, holding the DOF preview button as dismounted works fine. Not sure how much I'll need that as I suspect I'll use the FE and TS wide open most of the time (and the LB uses disks to change aperture).

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Re: EOS to m4/3rds adaptor

Sample images of the 3 lenses I particularly wanted the EOS adaptor for follows.

This is a 3 shot flat stitch pano--one shot is made without shift, then one to the right and shifted to the left for the third. Very easy stitch as these are 'flat'. I used tilt to increase perception of DOF since I was shooting at f/2.8--the tilt was determined from the right side, so since the garden actually curves toward me on the left, the plane of focus changes a bit. Didn't make note of the amount of tilt, but using the LCD/MF assist--it was so much easier than with my 5D--even with an anglefinder C. Since this was a 45, the FOV is about that of a 90--I bet the new 17 TS would be nice on the G1.

Then I tried selective focus same f/2.8 with the wedge of focus relatively narrow--and can be moved around easily--esp. with MF assist. In the first, the wedge of focus goes from front to back right of center--as opposed to normal plane of horizontal focus with a non TS lens.

Here I rotated the lens about 45 degrees and moved the focus where I wanted same f/2.8 The wedge of focus can be rotated--and emphasis placed where I choose--a normal lens would have the plane of focus horizontal in this photo.

Last edited by Diane B; 18th June 2009 at 20:31.

Post Thanks / Like

The second lens (and since I like it on the G1--I won't buy the 17 f/2.8 for now) is the EF mount Sigma 15 f/2.8 FE.

This is at f/2.8

This is f/5.6 (I changed positions)

and a quick close up with the FE and manual focus at f/2.8

Using the 400D, setting the aperture on the FE at f/5.6, I held the DOF preview down while dismounting, thus keeping the aperture as set--then mounted on the G1. Worked fine. I suspect I will keep it at f/2.8 and shoot at same FL with the 14-45 if I want stopped down.

Post Thanks / Like

The third lens I wanted to try was my old Lensbaby 2.0. The apertures are set with magnetic disks directly into the lens, so changing aperture is easy. I happen to have a tele and WA converter as well as 2 macro lens--and never used it LOL.

The first is fairly typical LB--at f/2.0, lots of distortion, blur.

The second is with the f/3.2 disk and focused (you use your hands and depress and twist--I suspect the new composer is a lot easier to control) about mid---I believe I also had the tele converter on.

The third was done with the same disk, tele converter but I depressed/twisted the lens to shift the focus to the lower lily leaves.

The jinfinance adaptor appears to permit infinity focusing. Worth the cost to be able to experiment with these 3 lenses. I also tried the 50 f/1.4, 28 f/1.8--both just fine, but I'm in pretty good shape with my FD lenses in similar FL--and the aperture is manual and much easier to deal with.

All were taken in RAW, processed in Lightroom as normally, sent to PS where I used PKS for both capture and output sharpening (I normally do capture sharpening in LR but this was easy), resized for web, etc.

Diane
    Last edited by Diane B; 18th June 2009 at 19:54.

Post Thanks / Like

Diane, Great and Lovely work!! I thought all the T/S pictures were nice but I particularly like the second shot. I can't quite get into the lens baby shots, although the second one gave me less of a headache than the first and last. lol

Thanks for the lesson and great pictures.... now off to eBay to see what T/S are available. <8^)

Don

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slosync View Post
    Diane, Great and Lovely work!! I thought all the T/S pictures were nice but I particularly like the second shot. I can't quite get into the lens baby shots, although the second one gave me less of a headache than the first and last. lol

Thanks for the lesson and great pictures.... now off to eBay to see what T/S are available. <8^)

Don
    Don, the Canons don't lose much value as used, but--there are some nice TS FDs (35 f/2.8) at KEH for much more reasonable prices (I even considered buying one until I decided to try the EOS adaptor). I already owned the Canon EF 45 f/2.8 TS--used it for several years with the 5D.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Diane,

Very impressive. Great results.

Howard

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very interesting and impressive, and I'm thinking of gettting this adapter; two questions

I have difficulty with my three dimensional abilities, but I presume that in the pano of the garden you have the shift and tilt re-adjusted to the same plane, tilting down a bit -- and in the waterfall, you have the tilt rotated 90 degrees

and secondly, when removing the TSE lenses to keep them stopped down, you press the dof control -- but do you turn the camera off or not?
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert,

For the pano, my lens orientation is default 90 degrees to each other (tilt to shift). I turned the lens so the shift is sideways--center, left, right shifts. I set the tilt with the shift to the right and tilted down (don't remember the degree)to bring the plane of the front plants to the little waterfall into focus--I checked by using MF assist--works great (in other words, I didn't 'swing' but rather tilted down)--once I set the focus I didn't change for the other 2 shots--so the focus remains as I set it for the right image.

There are a few times I would like my tilt and shift parallel but I'm not great mechanically so don't change mine. With it now basically a 90mm FOV--perhaps at times that would be preferable, and maybe I'll make an effort to learn to change the orientation. I generally like it default for using it as 45 FOV on the 5D. Jack has a little essay on Outbackphoto that describes how to do that--very good, but I hate messing about with an expensive TS LOL.

I did not turn the camera off when I dismounted. I wasn't sure if that would alter things or not. I dismounted and clapped a cover on the camera immediately as I took it off. Then I turned the camera off. To check, I just had to put the lens back on later--sure enough, still at f/5.6. Oh--I didn't change the aperture of the TS--just the FE, but it would work the same for the TS.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I would amend this a bit. I mentioned that I liked the 15 f/2.8 FE enough to not buy the new Oly 17 f/2.8. But--that means I give up that very small size--something I'd really like, but the 20 f/1.7 suits me better probably, so I don't see any reason to have 2 in so similar a FL. Just thought I would clear up why I would choose a much larger EF mount FE to the little Oly. And--if others find the EP-1 LCD usable in daylight (looking forward to what Monza has to say after his try with it today), I may have put it on the list for sometime this Fall--and I will have saved the $229 to put toward it.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Diane, thanks for the info.
    Sláinte

Robert.