The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EOS to m4/3rds adaptor

Diane B

I just got my jinfinance EOS to m4/3rds adaptor. Its quite well made, light and works fine--very secure.

I first tried my 45 T/S--I KNOW that I love the MF assist with it. I think I will enjoy using it but didn't play too much with it. I put on my 15 f/2.8 FE--and it will be a really nice 'faster' wide--so I won't buy the 17 f/2.8 and wait for the 20 f/1.7. Its not fishy at all on a 4/3rds--just more of a WA bit of distortion, so it will serve me fine for now. Tried the Lensbaby--fun, then tried a variety of other fast primes. Not sure how many I would use, but I will use the FE, the TS, the LB--so it was worth it.

Samples to follow. Also--the 'tip' I posted about stopping down, holding the DOF preview button as dismounted works fine. Not sure how much I'll need that as I suspect I'll use the FE and TS wide open most of the time (and the LB uses disks to change aperture).

Diane

Diane B

Sample images of the 3 lenses I particularly wanted the EOS adaptor for follows.

This is a 3 shot flat stitch pano--one shot is made without shift, then one to the right and shifted to the left for the third. Very easy stitch as these are 'flat'. I used tilt to increase perception of DOF since I was shooting at f/2.8--the tilt was determined from the right side, so since the garden actually curves toward me on the left, the plane of focus changes a bit. Didn't make note of the amount of tilt, but using the LCD/MF assist--it was so much easier than with my 5D--even with an anglefinder C. Since this was a 45, the FOV is about that of a 90--I bet the new 17 TS would be nice on the G1.

Then I tried selective focus same f/2.8 with the wedge of focus relatively narrow--and can be moved around easily--esp. with MF assist. In the first, the wedge of focus goes from front to back right of center--as opposed to normal plane of horizontal focus with a non TS lens.

Here I rotated the lens about 45 degrees and moved the focus where I wanted same f/2.8 The wedge of focus can be rotated--and emphasis placed where I choose--a normal lens would have the plane of focus horizontal in this photo.

Last edited:

Diane B

The second lens (and since I like it on the G1--I won't buy the 17 f/2.8 for now) is the EF mount Sigma 15 f/2.8 FE.

This is at f/2.8

This is f/5.6 (I changed positions)

and a quick close up with the FE and manual focus at f/2.8

Using the 400D, setting the aperture on the FE at f/5.6, I held the DOF preview down while dismounting, thus keeping the aperture as set--then mounted on the G1. Worked fine. I suspect I will keep it at f/2.8 and shoot at same FL with the 14-45 if I want stopped down.

Diane B

The third lens I wanted to try was my old Lensbaby 2.0. The apertures are set with magnetic disks directly into the lens, so changing aperture is easy. I happen to have a tele and WA converter as well as 2 macro lens--and never used it LOL.

The first is fairly typical LB--at f/2.0, lots of distortion, blur.

The second is with the f/3.2 disk and focused (you use your hands and depress and twist--I suspect the new composer is a lot easier to control) about mid---I believe I also had the tele converter on.

The third was done with the same disk, tele converter but I depressed/twisted the lens to shift the focus to the lower lily leaves.

The jinfinance adaptor appears to permit infinity focusing. Worth the cost to be able to experiment with these 3 lenses. I also tried the 50 f/1.4, 28 f/1.8--both just fine, but I'm in pretty good shape with my FD lenses in similar FL--and the aperture is manual and much easier to deal with.

All were taken in RAW, processed in Lightroom as normally, sent to PS where I used PKS for both capture and output sharpening (I normally do capture sharpening in LR but this was easy), resized for web, etc.

Diane

Last edited:

slosync

Diane, Great and Lovely work!! I thought all the T/S pictures were nice but I particularly like the second shot. I can't quite get into the lens baby shots, although the second one gave me less of a headache than the first and last. lol

Thanks for the lesson and great pictures.... now off to eBay to see what T/S are available. <8^)

Don

Diane B

Diane, Great and Lovely work!! I thought all the T/S pictures were nice but I particularly like the second shot. I can't quite get into the lens baby shots, although the second one gave me less of a headache than the first and last. lol

Thanks for the lesson and great pictures.... now off to eBay to see what T/S are available. <8^)

Don
Don, the Canons don't lose much value as used, but--there are some nice TS FDs (35 f/2.8) at KEH for much more reasonable prices (I even considered buying one until I decided to try the EOS adaptor). I already owned the Canon EF 45 f/2.8 TS--used it for several years with the 5D.

Diane

Robert Campbell

Very interesting and impressive, and I'm thinking of gettting this adapter; two questions

I have difficulty with my three dimensional abilities, but I presume that in the pano of the garden you have the shift and tilt re-adjusted to the same plane, tilting down a bit -- and in the waterfall, you have the tilt rotated 90 degrees

and secondly, when removing the TSE lenses to keep them stopped down, you press the dof control -- but do you turn the camera off or not?

Diane B

Robert,

For the pano, my lens orientation is default 90 degrees to each other (tilt to shift). I turned the lens so the shift is sideways--center, left, right shifts. I set the tilt with the shift to the right and tilted down (don't remember the degree)to bring the plane of the front plants to the little waterfall into focus--I checked by using MF assist--works great (in other words, I didn't 'swing' but rather tilted down)--once I set the focus I didn't change for the other 2 shots--so the focus remains as I set it for the right image.

There are a few times I would like my tilt and shift parallel but I'm not great mechanically so don't change mine. With it now basically a 90mm FOV--perhaps at times that would be preferable, and maybe I'll make an effort to learn to change the orientation. I generally like it default for using it as 45 FOV on the 5D. Jack has a little essay on Outbackphoto that describes how to do that--very good, but I hate messing about with an expensive TS LOL.

I did not turn the camera off when I dismounted. I wasn't sure if that would alter things or not. I dismounted and clapped a cover on the camera immediately as I took it off. Then I turned the camera off. To check, I just had to put the lens back on later--sure enough, still at f/5.6. Oh--I didn't change the aperture of the TS--just the FE, but it would work the same for the TS.

Diane

Diane B

Thought I would amend this a bit. I mentioned that I liked the 15 f/2.8 FE enough to not buy the new Oly 17 f/2.8. But--that means I give up that very small size--something I'd really like, but the 20 f/1.7 suits me better probably, so I don't see any reason to have 2 in so similar a FL. Just thought I would clear up why I would choose a much larger EF mount FE to the little Oly. And--if others find the EP-1 LCD usable in daylight (looking forward to what Monza has to say after his try with it today), I may have put it on the list for sometime this Fall--and I will have saved the $229 to put toward it.

Diane