Site Sponsors

Thread: Olympus' m4/3rds lenses

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Olympus' m4/3rds lenses

Found some specs here: http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/products/dslr/mlenses/

Olympus even make a 37mm and 40.5mm "protection filters for the two lenses.

No mention of lens hoods?

Anyone has any info if they would or I will have to rely on more innovative eBay sellers?

TIA.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Olympus' m4/3rds lenses

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post

thanks for the link :-) I find it strange that this system has been released with next to nothing in the line up to take advantage of the system which is supposed to make lens design easier and more compact. Even that site says:
    lenses are designed exclusively for the Micro Four Thirds System by optimizing the mount diameter and signal contacts.
    compared to the OM release this is quite limp

I'm now considering spending some money on the 9-18 Oly lens and an adaptor as I don't see anything in the micro system to fill that (aside from the Panasonic 7-14 which is a bit wider and costs more than double).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am buying a 17/2.8 via Robert.

This is much awaited lens (for me) and I appreciate Olympus for coming with it.

CharlieH

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    thanks for the link :-) I find it strange that this system has been released with next to nothing in the line up to take advantage of the system which is supposed to make lens design easier and more compact.
    (clip)
    compared to the OM release this is quite limp
    An article (link) I read makes it sound much harder than I imagined to introduce new lenses, manufacture them all and keep up with inventory changes. He says that companies only make one type of lens at a time on any given lens assembly line. So they have to anticipate demand far in advance of sales. (A video I saw once of a Leica engineer said that the glass for a certain lens was only made by the glass company once every five years or so, if I remember correctly.)

A question I have is how many people will build a m4/3rds system using just Oly's m4/3rd lenses? The amateur end of the market will only want a couple of zooms. The enthusiast end of the market either already has lenses, wants to try legacy glass or both. In that case adapters provide your system. And meanwhile Panasonic's lenses will work right out of the box.

Olympus has had the advantage of watching Panasonic and reading their clients wish lists. So they know it isn't much of a risk to come out with a 17mm prime before Panasonic has any primes. I think we will have to wait some time for a range of primes.

BTW, if you click on the link above also check out the article titled "Front Element Scratches". Amazing.

ch

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Olympus site (link given above) is showing 2 samples from the 17/2.8.

The sample shot 2 from the 17/2.8 is showing quite noticeable lateral chromatic aberrations. Though this is correctable in the post, I am really surprised that Olympus would put it up as such.

This also leads me to speculate that Olympus, unlike Panasonic, do not program their lenses to do automatic CA corrections.

Besides that, the samples were shot by someone with little imagination.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems that the 17mm 4/3 or the 25mm 4/3 pancakes are designed to be adequate rather than great lenses.

As I already use the 25mm, my expectations for the 17mm are modest.

I hope that when the E-P2? high end 4/3 camera is launched it is accompanied with 12 f/2.8 and 25 f/2 pro-grade primes that emphasis quality rather than size. However Olympus hasn't shown much inclination to go down this route since the days of the OM system.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenInTime View Post
    It seems that the 17mm 4/3 or the 25mm 4/3 pancakes are designed to be adequate rather than great lenses.
    With 12mp sensor cameras, they can do better than this, IMO.

OTOH, perhaps your reasoning explains the samples.