Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Small 20mm equivalent for m4/3?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Rawfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    2,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Small 20mm equivalent for m4/3?

    Is there a lens out there with a 20mm equivalence (should be a 10mm micro four thirds) that is small, portable and that can be used on the micro 4/3 system via adapter? I'd really like to have a 20mm fov with the E-P1 with a small compact lens.

  2. #2
    Member slosync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Florida, USA.
    Posts
    97
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Small 20mm equivalent for m4/3?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Is there a lens out there with a 20mm equivalence (should be a 10mm micro four thirds) that is small, portable and that can be used on the micro 4/3 system via adapter? I'd really like to have a 20mm fov with the E-P1 with a small compact lens.
    Hi Rafa,

    Check out this link....
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6170

    And check out this lens compatibility chart....

    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...QQ-HJwvNDobeEw

    Cheers,
    Don

  3. #3
    Senior Member Rawfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    2,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Small 20mm equivalent for m4/3?

    Thanks, Don. I've checked out the Cinegon 10mm/F1.8 and even though the performance looks great, it's a massive lens. It doesn't necessarily have to be 10mm. It can be less than that.
    I'm going to take a look the compatibility chart you've posted.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,077
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Small 20mm equivalent for m4/3?

    Rafa

    Don't overlook the 20mm lens from Cosina Voightlander made for the Nikon F mount. I think it does a terrific job on my D3 and D3X but I don't have a micro 4/3 for testing.

    Woody

  5. #5
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Small 20mm equivalent for m4/3?

    Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Rafa

    Don't overlook the 20mm lens from Cosina Voightlander made for the Nikon F mount. I think it does a terrific job on my D3 and D3X but I don't have a micro 4/3 for testing.

    Woody
    which is of course effectively a 40mm lens on a 4/3rds sensor ... and since the poster was asking about equivalent focal lengths I guess he was meaning something that will make an image as wide as that looks.


    to rawfa I'm using a C-mount lens too, but its quite cheap. its 12mm but sadly does not have full frame coverage. This is it beside my Olympus 21mm




    and here's a sample image


  6. #6
    Senior Member back alley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    the frozen north
    Posts
    428
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Small 20mm equivalent for m4/3?

    has anyone used the cv 12 on the g1?

  7. #7
    Ranger 9
    Guest

    Re: Small 20mm equivalent for m4/3?

    This isn't what the poster wanted to hear, most likely... but if you need full frame coverage and good image quality, the easiest thing might just be to get the Pana 7-14.

    Not exactly small, and not exactly cheap. Sounds like the old joke about offset printing: "Good... fast... cheap... pick any two."

  8. #8
    Senior Member Rawfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    2,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Small 20mm equivalent for m4/3?

    Thanks, guys. I might start checking some C-Mount lenses.

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,594
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Small 20mm equivalent for m4/3?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    This isn't what the poster wanted to hear, most likely... but if you need full frame coverage and good image quality, the easiest thing might just be to get the Pana 7-14.

    Not exactly small, and not exactly cheap. Sounds like the old joke about offset printing: "Good... fast... cheap... pick any two."
    Yes. Unless you go to the trouble of making your own "small, fast, wide" prime,
    there isn't anything in c-mount that I am aware of.

    FWIW, I had a 9.8/1.8 Kinoptik Tegea lens (~1.5Kgs, >80mm dia front element).

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    College Place, WA.
    Posts
    790
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Small 20mm equivalent for m4/3?

    I doubt you'll find a 10mm c mount that will cover the whole sensor, or will be free of the smearing that so often plagues these lenses.

    Look to 35mm format arris for your super wide needs, or as someone said, the Pana 7-14.

    Or consider the Nikon 10.5/2.8 fisheye. It will cover the sensor.

  11. #11
    valtof
    Guest

    Re: Small 20mm equivalent for m4/3?

    Quote Originally Posted by back alley View Post
    has anyone used the cv 12 on the g1?
    The CV12 does quit a good job on the G1 even if it's not as good as the Lumix [email protected]
    And after all, a lens equivalent to f:5.6/24mm doesn't sound really exciting !
    Nothing relevant to show you, all is taken at f:5.6, focus set to infinity, and processed in LR.
    I'm really waiting for the Lumix 7-14 to be available in France...
    Cheers

  12. #12
    milapse
    Guest

    Re: Small 20mm equivalent for m4/3?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Thanks, Don. I've checked out the Cinegon 10mm/F1.8 and even though the performance looks great, it's a massive lens. It doesn't necessarily have to be 10mm. It can be less than that.
    I'm going to take a look the compatibility chart you've posted.
    Massive? it fits into a very small space! Flare is it's biggest weakness imho...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •