The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Small 50mm f1.8?

Rawfa

Hi fellas, any advice on a small 50mm f1.9 (or faster) to use with a micro four thirds system? When I had a Nikon D40 I shot with a pancake Nikon 50mm f1.8 that was pretty sweet...but with all the adapters for micro four thirds these days I'm sure there are smaller and faster lenses out there to go with such a petite thing as the E-P1 :) . The truth is I'd like something not too expensive (ah, these cheap amateur types and their crazy demands).

E

EWR72

Maybe a Jupiter-3 50mm 1.5. M39 lens mount. Plenty on e-bay. I have one for a possible Micro 4/3 purchase. About 135g in weight so pretty light. I also have an OM zuiko 50mm 1.8 (made in Japan) version that I use on my 350D with fantastic results for portraits. Weighs in at about 185g I think.

R

Ranger 9

When you say "small," do you mean small in diameter, small in length, or what?

A lot of the C-mount lenses are very compact in diameter, but just as long as a 35mm-camera lens of equivalent focal length. So what type of smallness you want makes a difference.

Incidentally, a lens that I've used a lot on my G1 with excellent results is the 50mm Voigtlander f/1.5 Nokton in Leica screw mount. (I've got mine in an M-adapter that I use with an M-to-µ4/3 adapter, but you could just get a screwmount-to-µ4/3 adapter and skip a step.) It isn't exactly cheap -- although "cheap" is a relative term too -- but it's more compact than the average SLR lens thanks to its smaller diameter, which makes it handier on a µ4/3 camera.

wjlapier

If you can find it the Canon TV C mount 50/1.8 lens is small and very sharp. I think I paid $50 for mine. Nikkor HC 50/2 in LTM is another small lense and can be found for around $200.

V

Vivek

<ponders>

I wonder what my nikon 50mm enlarging lens would be like?

</ponders>

If it is the last version, it would be swell. The APO-Componon 40/2.8 is even better- if you can put them in appropriate focus mounts to be useful!;):)

As I have mentioned before, I like the Fujinon-TV 50/1.4 (after slight modification).

J

jKK

Hello

Why not try the Canon 50mm 1.8 LTM which is small and very good, and
not too expensive.
Also the Canon 50mm 1.4 LTM is a fantastic lens, although a bit bigger, but still
much smaller than an SLR type lens.

-jK

Michiel Schierbeek

The Olympus OM 50/1.8 is cheap (and may be the cheapest) and works great on the G1. Carl Zeiss planar 50/1.7 can sometimes be found not to expensive.
Or a 40mm /1.8 Hexanon is very small and not expensive and the Hexanon50/1.7 is a possibility too.
There is so much to choose.

Michiel

scho

The Olympus OM 50/1.8 is cheap (and may be the cheapest) and works great on the G1. Carl Zeiss planar 50/1.7 can sometimes be found not to expensive.
Or a 40mm /1.8 Hexanon is very small and not expensive and the Hexanon50/1.7 is a possibility too.
There is so much to choose.

Michiel
The two Konica lenses are excellent and now that there is a direct Konica AR to m4/3 adapter available you don't have to hack the lens mount.

kevinparis

Just for reference

here are some of the lenses mentioned

at the back is my shiny new and very petite OM 50/1.4

at the front from left to right we have

Nikkor E 50/1.8
OM 50/1.8
Contax/Zeiss 50/1.7
Leica Summicron R 50/2

all lovely lenses - total cost of ownership - less than 400 euros

taken with Nikkor 35/2 on Oly 510

cheers
K

Last edited:

kevinparis

just realised that i missed out 2 other 50's in my collection - nikkor 50/1.4 and a Takumar 1.4..... both nice lenses but definately bigger.

I would follow the OM route - the 28 and 35's are just as small as are the 24 and 21's

Oly know how to make small glass .... they just need to apply some of their old know how to getting primes for the micro fourthirds

K

Michiel Schierbeek

The two Konica lenses are excellent and now that there is a direct Konica AR to m4/3 adapter available you don't have to hack the lens mount.
Just ordered the adapter! :) I am so glad I don't have to fool around with screwdrivers and spacers anymore. 7 Konica lenses waiting to be used :D
They can be bought very cheap.
Michiel