Site Sponsors

Thread: EP-1 vs G1 image Quality

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

EP-1 vs G1 image Quality

When comparing these two cameras, Shooting raw should the image qulaity be the same?
    Just wondering.
    Thinking about getting into a micro 4/3 system
    Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: EP-1 vs G1 image Quality

Steven,

I would assume it would be different as it is a different actual sensor which will have different characteristics, plus, different software to process (even for RAW) the data.

Cheers,

Ranger 9

One of the reviews I read said the sensor is the same as the one used in the G1 (not GH1.)

But even if that's true -- and you can't always trust online reviews, especially of not-yet-released cameras -- there still could be a lot of differences depending on firmware, raw-processing software, etc.

Plus... the E-P 1 has in-body stabilization, which could offer non-sensor-related better image quality when used with non-stabilized lenses. Then again, the G1 has an excellent eye-level finder as well as a back LCD, which could offer non-sensor-related better image quality through better focusing of non-AF lenses under a wider range of lighting conditions. The E-P 1's top ISO is 6400, which presumably might suggest better image quality in super-low light. On the other hand, the DxOmark tests showed that the G1's ISO ratings are about one stop "fat" (e.g., 1600 on the G1 equals about what would be rated as 3200 on many cameras) so the difference might not be significant.

In case it matters (which it might, if you're into "street fashion," in which case image quality is related to your ability to recruit models) I would suspect that all other things being equal, the E-P 1 will be better at "pulling birds" (as the Brits used to say) because of its very stylish looks. The G1 user probably could equalize that advantage by carrying a very cute puppy.

And on and on. Meaningful comparison testing is so difficult...
    Last edited by Ranger 9; 23rd June 2009 at 19:11.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a link.....Brian Mosely has both cameras side by side

http://www.ukphotosafari.org/e-p1-te...?currentPage=2

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Terry,

my gut feeling is that it's the same sensor (looking at raw files from both G1 and E-P1 side by side) - and that Olympus have improved their NR and demosaicing algorithms to give the E-P1 a better low light capability.

Olympus have a superb jpeg engine - out of cam shots can be stunning... if you like Oly colour (who doesn't?)

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

They will both make fine photos. Until the E-P1 ships with final fw, it's foolish to try to compare them at this level with regard to IQ.

Decide between them for the present on the basis of features and form factor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for all the replies.
    Now which one should I get, G1 or EP-1, I know why not both lol
    I am hoping in the near future olympus introduces a boby more like the G1 though.

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

oh one more thing is the GH1 the same as the G1 except the GH1 does video also?????
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The GH1 has a bigger sensor that allows you to shoot multiple aspect ratios without cropping. Don't have time to explain all that right now.

It is also said to have better higher ISO performance but there are some reports of banding. The DPReview final review should be interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks for the info terry :-)
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looking at the EP-1 specs it says it will do 16x9 but I wonder if it's at full res or just a crop.
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Tomorrow I'll get my GH1 :-) I think I never wish/buy an E-P1 - it's an expensive toy.

No articulating display, no flash, NO EFV !!! , no grip, no fullHD, but price is HIGHER then GH1 (body = $/€ 600, E-P1 body = $/€ 700 .. without above 5 things :-( )

E-P1 is verrrry good for development of mFT, but it is not a "good" camera. With 14-42 & viewer it is not "pocketable" - for the money I get a 10x better GH1 :-))))

Making videos with E-P1 is penalty and punishment. For video it's better to get a fullHD camcorder for half the price or a "pocketable" camera with 10x zoom and 1280x720 for a third of price - or f.e. Canon SX1 with EFV, articulating display, 20x zoom and fullHD (half price!)

cwilt

Who has EP-1 raw files they would share? Would like to compare raw to raw.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hot View Post
    Tomorrow I'll get my GH1 :-) I think I never wish/buy an E-P1 - it's an expensive toy.

No articulating display, no flash, NO EFV !!! , no grip, no fullHD, but price is HIGHER then GH1 (body = $/€ 600, E-P1 body = $/€ 700 .. without above 5 things :-( )

E-P1 is verrrry good for development of mFT, but it is not a "good" camera. With 14-42 & viewer it is not "pocketable" - for the money I get a 10x better GH1 :-))))

Making videos with E-P1 is penalty and punishment. For video it's better to get a fullHD camcorder for half the price or a "pocketable" camera with 10x zoom and 1280x720 for a third of price - or f.e. Canon SX1 with EFV, articulating display, 20x zoom and fullHD (half price!)
    Hot, Where do you get your GH1 for 600 Euros?

Currently, in the Netherlands, the G1 is at 434 Euros (after a 125 Euro cash back from Panasonic). Excellent price!

BTW, Panasonic make all the NMOS sensors used in all m4/3rds and 4/3rds cameras.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Currently, in the Netherlands, the G1 is at 434 Euros (after a 125 Euro cash back from Panasonic). Excellent price!

That's indeed an excellent price that makes me want to have a second body (camera, not human )

Where do you have that from, Vivek ? I'm in Belgium, so Holland is not far away

C U,
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rafael,

http://www.kieskeurig.nl/digitale_sp...41368/#prijzen

(subtract 125 Euros from those prices).

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch! In Germany/Austria only € 100 cashback ... mmmmpf.

Post Thanks / Like

No articulating display, no flash, NO EFV !!! , no grip, no fullHD, but price is HIGHER then GH1 (body = $/ 600, E-P1 body = $/ 700 .. without above 5 things :-( )

Jesus Christ, the camera isn't even out yet and people are already destroying it. This type of reaction is really beyond me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rawfa,

In case you have not seen it (posted earlier by monza), take a look at it for yourself to find out how the E-P1 came about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FWv21EgRZU&NR=1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Rawfa,

In case you have not seen it (posted earlier by monza), take a look at it for yourself to find out how the E-P1 came about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FWv21EgRZU&NR=1

Hahahaha!!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    They will both make fine photos. Until the E-P1 ships with final fw, it's foolish to try to compare them at this level with regard to IQ.

Decide between them for the present on the basis of features and form factor.
    Hi Godfrey
    My dealer in the UK emailed me today saying that they had my camera waiting for me - presumably they aren't selling me a pre-production camera!

As I understood it, it's the same basic sensor but with a lighter AA filter than the E30

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    Looking at the EP-1 specs it says it will do 16x9 but I wonder if it's at full res or just a crop.
    hmmm, reading E-P1 User Manual it seems E-P1 ONLY knows 4:3 (and video 16:9) ... or I am blind ?

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Jesus Christ, the camera isn't even out yet and people are already destroying it. This type of reaction is really beyond me.
    Meanwhile, even though it isn't out yet, other people have convinced themselves it's the most wonderful thing ever. That's beyond me, too, but it's happening...

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm, reading E-P1 User Manual it seems E-P1 ONLY knows 4:3 (and video 16:9) ... or I am blind ?
    Specs from their site:

4:3(Default)/3:2/16:9/6:6

btw, i have the Pen F to G1/GH1 Adapter, will it work on the EP-1 too?

Yogi

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Yogi, yes - any m4/3rds adapter which works on the G1/GH1 will work fine with the E-P1

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

please ... post some samples ... don't be shy

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    My dealer in the UK emailed me today saying that they had my camera waiting for me - presumably they aren't selling me a pre-production camera!

Post Thanks / Like

Brian, a question (I haven't worked my way completely through your review and sample gallery yet). One--you say that any 4/3rds lens is usable on the EP-1. Is this with the Oly adaptor?? Will the MA-1 adaptor work to use the Oly 9-18? You say that any adaptor will work--I'm using that with my Konica Hexanon 40 f/1.7 and the 9-18. I would rather NOT buy the Oly adaptor--and likely won't use any other Oly 4/3rds lenses with the EP-1--or whatever comes next from them (which I may wait for--or whatever comes next from Panasonic).

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Diane - yes, I'm using my Panasonic 4/3rds adapter with the E-P1. No need to buy an Oly one if you already have the Pany one

I'm out again tomorrow in Sheffield with local Safari Group members, and will
    encourage them to post their own (unedited) impressions of the camera to our review diary.

Also, I'll create an index to make it easier to navigate to your topic of interest. Please bear with the format - this is just raw information and answers to your questions

Kind Regards

Brian