The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EP1 First look

durrIII

My local dealer has two EP1 kits to demo and I took him up on it today. Feels good in the hand. Great size. Certainly consumer grade. Files look good. It really needs a VF. LCD is ok but not great. It's menus are very much like my wife's 420. Looks to me like they have something to work with, but they had better get the pro unit out soon. The competition is working hard. Mine will be here in 2 weeks. The rep could not tell me much that we don't already know. It's not the CL we were looking for but closer than anything we have now. The 14-42 kits lens is really weird! -Durr

Brian Mosley

Imagine an E-30 in a PEN case with LX3 style focusing via big 3" LCD and you're there.

I can shoot easily with the hotshoe OVF, easily switching LCD on to check exposure/back off. One touch focusing on centre point, recompose, shoot any number of times with zero lag.

Take a few days to set the camera up and master the controls and you'll
find this a formidable photographic tool :)

Keep an eye on our running field test / early adopters diary for further experience.

Kind Regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

ps manual focusing with legacy lenses is better than I expected - in body stabilization + smooth ISO 800 IQ with fast glass makes it a very useful option for all you lucky leica lens owners ;)

The 17mm f2.8 pancake lens is my favourite 35mm EFL FOV... extremely sharp in the centre, some lateral CA which can be corrected in PP.

Kind Regards

Brian

Terry

Wow - Perhaps I should see if my dealer has an update....

Monza - are you still hearing July? I know that's only a week away :ROTFL:

monza

Olympus is coming in for training on Tuesday and we got some of the 4/3 adapters in...if that is any indication. :)

Terry

Olympus is coming in for training on Tuesday and we got some of the 4/3 adapters in...if that is any indication. :)
Apparently they were in my shop yesterday. First week of July is what I'm hearing. I am not hearing anything about the half case and it doesn't seem to be showing up on price lists. What are you hearing?

Brian Mosley

Brian, how solid does this camera feel in hand?
Hi Lili,

it feels a bit like a mixture of metal and plastic - somewhere between a high end compact and a Leica M8 :D

I never had an original PEN, but this feels like a 'proper' camera.

Cheers

Brian

Will

'my dealer' lol, I like that.
Addiction to the gear :D
I know I shouldn't get one and deliberately didn't go to the London launch because I knew the pushers could easily make me!

Diane B

Interesting review VladimirV. I noticed that someone mentioned that using a CV finder wouldn't work because of aspect ratio difference. I use a CV 35mm with a Canon G9 with little problems--just adjusted to it. The issue is---if you use anything other than the 17, then its of no use.

Diane

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

VladimirV, sorry we didn't get a chance to say hello... I read you impression piece on seriouscompacts thanks - keep an eye out on our running team review over on our Safari Group coordination site... it's not very pretty, but the raw content is valuable :)

I'm meeting more Safari Group members in Sheffield today for an E-P1 intro in the real world (without a salesaman standing by lol) so should be fun.

Good observation about the size... I was surprised that, even though it's not much bigger than my Panasonic LX1, it feels much bigger - not a compact, not a DSLR, it's a PEN. Hmmm maybe that's a useful statement ;)

Cheers

Brian

V

VladimirV

Thanks Cindy and Diane, glad you liked the mini-review.

Diane, you could set the camera to 3:2 mode for use with a CV viewfinder so this should not be a problem as far as I can see.

Brian, I will follow your review, I am still very interested in the E-P1 and how it performs. The only problem at the moment is the lack of good pancake lenses for it, I am not impressed by the performance of the 17mm lens although I like it's size.
Can you check the screen in low light and see if you get the same problem with noise and banding in live view mode that I described?