The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH1 or G1

kuau

Workshop Member
Well since I have ruled out the EP-1 for my entry point into the 4/3 micro world,
It's either a G1 or GH1, If I don't shoot video, don't need 16x9 full res stills, and don't shoot over 200-400 iso why do I still want to consider the GH1 for 1500.00 US over a G1 for 650.00 US I am planning on buying the 7-14mm for sure.

2nd question, I owned a Olympus E3 for about 3 months then it got stolen from my car and no insurance. Ouch. Anyway with these new micro 4/3 camera is the image quality actually better then the e3/e30

Steven

V

valtof

If I don't shoot video, don't need 16x9 full res stills, and don't shoot over 200-400 iso why do I still want to consider the GH1 for 1500.00 US over a G1 for 650.00 US
The answer seems to be into the question : go for the G1...

kevinparis

or look at an olympus 620 - not much bigger than a G1

micro 4/3 or 4/3 its gonna be the same image quality pretty much. It boils down to what lenses you want to use - the 4/3 has a better selection of lenses at the moment. Dont understand why you are wedded to the 7-14.... the zuiko 9-18 does a pretty good job

just my pennies worth

K

hot

Oly 620 sure is a good camera - but if you have a G1 ... you'll get 10x more fun!

PS: do not compare prices G1/GH1 - both are in the SAME price class.
A 14-140 is a 14-140 is a 14-140 ... !

price body G1 ~~ same as price body GH1 !

slau

I was in the same boat until I handled the GH-1 a few days ago. I have played with the G1 with both 14-45 & 45-200 for a couple of days.

I did find the AF of the GH-1 seems to be a lot more 'crispy' and the EVF is quite an improvement over the G1. I think that is good enough reason for me to go for the GH-1 instead of G-1.

kevinparis

hot... how do you get 10x more fun from a G1?... just because you can throw leica lenses at it ?

hell i can throw almost every other classic lens from nikon, olympus, pentax and Contax on my oly 510. Only thing i miss on the 510 is the flippable screen.

enlighten me

:)

K

hot

kevin - did you look through 510 & G1 ? difference = day & night :)

no flippable scren = killer argument (I have 510 aaaaand G1 ... and today also GH1 :)))) )

all Olys are GOOD, but G1/GH1 are BEST :-}

Terry

I was in the same boat until I handled the GH-1 a few days ago. I have played with the G1 with both 14-45 & 45-200 for a couple of days.

I did find the AF of the GH-1 seems to be a lot more 'crispy' and the EVF is quite an improvement over the G1. I think that is good enough reason for me to go for the GH-1 instead of G-1.
Of all the reports I've heard about the GH1 you are the only one saying that there is any difference with the EVF. On AF the knock on it with the kit lens has been that it isn't that incredibly fast during video. Isn't that hard to assess when you don't have the cameras side by side?

slau

Hi Terry,
I have been using the Minolta Diamge 7 for years some time ago and that is why I am so interest in the G1. The Dimage 7 has similar EVF which I was very happy with.

I bought my daughter a set of G1 with two lenses and I have played with it for a couple of days before I gave the G1 to her. The delay or ghost or trace of the EVF is still quite 'bad' on the G1. I found that is a lot better on the GH-1 in this area. I also found that the EVF seems to be a bit brighter, but this may be just due to the lighting condition when I played with the GH-1. The AF of the GH1 and 14-140 is definitely better. Not quite like my Canon 1 series, but relatively much faster than the G-1 with either 14-45 or 45-200.

I almost made up my mind to get the G1 but now I have to wait for my GH-1. I don't like to spend another $1000 for the GH1 either. Ideally I like to have the GH1 and 14-45 and/or the pancake lens.

kuau

Workshop Member
So I assume when the GH1 does ship you have to buy it with the 14-140mm lens? Here in the USA at least.

kevinparis

hot

have briefly looked through a g1 didn't blow me away like looking through the VF of an e3... wouldn't count it as night and day. all suppose it depends on how you like to take photos...

but then again I am old school - zeniths, Prackticas, Nikon EM then after a long time Canon 10D then oly 510

K

Y.B.Hudson III

sheeze...with the slow Kit lenses... things Look slow and noisy when out of your sun... Put a ultra fast lens on the G1 and life is brighter than the laws of physics will allow you to see with through the antiquated mirror slappers and rangefinders.

hot

Wow, my GH1 arrived!

Ordered with dealer - dealer called Panasonic - Pana sent GH1 - dealer sent GH1 - all done within 4 days. No porto.

Always making 16:9 pictures, with GH1 +18.4% more pixels (+1.66 Mpixels)

G1 = 4000x2248 = 8.99 MPixel
GH1 = 4352x2448 = 10.65 MPixel ... difference 1.66 MPixel !

4:3 ... both (G1 + GH1) 4000x3000

GH1 with Canon/Sigma 10-20

V

Vivek

Hot, Give some details (dealer, price, etc), if you don't mind? TIA.

(IMV, the EVF and the swivel screen alone are worth the price of the G1)

R

Ranger 9

Always making 16:9 pictures, with GH1 +18.4% more pixels (+1.66 Mpixels)
G1 = 4000x2248 = 8.99 MPixel
GH1 = 4352x2448 = 10.65 MPixel ... difference 1.66 MPixel !
Wow, that means you can make prints almost 9 percent larger at the same pixels-per-inch resolution!

[ √(10.65/8.99) = 1.088 ]

Personally, I don't make large prints that much, so for me that's not very significant.

I'd be interested in hearing more, though, about whether the GH1's EVF is really significantly better. The impression I got from reading the GH1 reviews is that they were exactly the same unit.

I've noticed that the look of the EVF varies depending on conditions -- in dim light or with a slow lens, for example, it becomes streakier as it tries to retain finder brightness -- so it would be tough to make a valid comparison without having the two cameras side-by-side, with the same settings, and the same lens on both.

Anyone had a chance to try this?

hot

Hot, Give some details (dealer, price, etc), if you don't mind? TIA.

(IMV, the EVF and the swivel screen alone are worth the price of the G1)
G1 kit you get (Germany/Austria/UK/Poland ...) -100 € cashback for ~ € 450 ---> http://geizhals.at/eu/a365703.html

GH1 kit for 1449/1499/1550 € (black or red) ---> http://geizhals.at/eu/a409408.html

EVF of G1/GH1 are (both) excellent, I cannot see "significant" differences.
Perhaps I'm blind :) ... but this makes no matter

I am very happy with both cameras - for daily use :thumbup:
Now I am waiting for a 3rd party battery for $ 12.99 :D - each $ more is vasted money :p

slau

........... I am very happy with both cameras - for daily use :thumbup: Now I am waiting for a 3rd party battery for $ 12.99 :D - each $ more is vasted money :p[/QUOTE said:
Today I met a young Panasonic rep in my local store and he told me about the latest firmware to both G1 & GH1 may prevent the use of any battery except from Panasonic. So, be aware of this.

hot

Thanks, I know. I do not need "new" update-features.
Wait some time, then China will find a "solution" against searobbery-Pana :D

Even € 12.99 Canon ink cartriges let me cold, 1 cartrige = € 0.69, or refilled within 1 minute = € 0.30 :) Same quality (they do not explode!)

Since years 3rd party Canon batteries (with golden contacts :p ) € 4.99 ... Canon's price € 70 :rolleyes:
Also no explosion.

You must save money to buy expensive cameras :thumbup:

photoSmart42

Supposedly they enhanced the high ISO performance on the GH1 over the G1. I bought a G1 for my wife a few months ago, and she loves it. Once the GH1 becomes more available in body only, I'll consider getting one for myself so I can play around with a bunch of lenses and adapters without having to pay for the HD kit lens (which I may get at some point).