Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 478

Thread: Having fun with the E-P1

  1. #51
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by nei1 View Post
    Im lucky,this camera is not right for me,Ill not buy a camera without a viewfinder(maybe the dp2) and more or less we know the performance from the plethora of other mediochre olympi
    We is an interesting word in this context Neil - of course, YOU are absolutely entitled to your opinion . . . presumably based on lots of experience shooting digital olympi?
    Quote Originally Posted by nei1 View Post

    so personally dont see what the fuss is about.However for those who see this as a possible purchase I sympathise with your frustration at Jonos childishness.
    Well, I was trying to be playful, but if you read it as childish of you.

    If you want a real excuse, I've been trying to prepare a report for BP, cut the grass, process pictures, and that's after a 4 day trip to Azerbaijahn, with a wedding all day yesterday (I got to bed at 7am), and the prospect of having to do an update on a client's system this evening.

    Just this guy you know

  2. #52
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post

    Still curious what bag you settled on and if it worked for carrying all. I have oodles of bags and used a big LP Maxim Pro for commercial work but though it would hold all, I def. will not carry it for any personal use. I have 2 backpacks that would carry most all, but wouldn't be much pleasure. So--curious what others are finding to use with a FF kit and the G1 (or EP-1) kit.

    Diane
    Here is the bag that I took (can you believe I actually already owned it and didn't have to buy a new one ). I had the two camera bodies in wraps in the top compartment. This backpack also has a compartment for my laptop. Fully loaded with filters, batteries, and other misc. stuff it was pretty heavy but the longest carry was in the airport. Everything fit but it was pretty tight but I now know that I could use it for my Iceland trip.

    I still have the Gura Gear bag on order. It is a bigger bag and if we are on a hike I might like it better. It does have a waist strap and I think if I load it correctly, I will be able to put some lightweight rain gear in it. I think I can better balance out the load.

    Finally I have a Shootsac which would have been easier to use at times when working out of the car. Throw a few lenses in it and good to walk around (not hike). The shootsac packs completely flat and I plan on taking that with me. I haven't tried to but any of the big Zeiss lenses it it yet but that is today's project.

    Last edited by Terry; 28th June 2009 at 09:22.

  3. #53
    nei1
    Guest

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    nice shots Jono,the camellia looks suitably creamy

  4. #54
    Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1117

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    These were all taken with the 50-200 old version (non SWD) and the adaptor. The light was pretty overcast.
    Focus was S-AF+M, most are taken at 320 ISO. The 'hit rate' with the chickens was not so far off what I get with other setups (they do move!)

    Incidentally, all these shots, and those in the last post were hand held.
    Thanks Jono - those are lovely images. We all knew deep down that this would be the case.

    Can you expand on "(no real problems with the LCD)" A guarded opinion.

    Might have been better if it were articulated, or was brightness an issue - looks like a bright day?

    Keith

  5. #55
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Hi Jono,
    Looking good. Seems like you ditched the kit lens pretty quickly. The feather detail looks pretty darn good to me. Hopefully the camera handled nicely for you.

    The 50 macro looks like it makes a nice combo with the body. How much did you rely on the straight AF or did you do some manual tweaks?

    p.s. 4 days in Baku and how much travel time...bleccch

  6. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    351
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Thanks for the pics, Jono. So what do you think? One thing that I think I've noticed about all the pics I've seen on the net so far, is that there seems to be a softness to the images, as if it had a very strong AA filter. That leaf shot of yours, seems to be the sharpest I've seen yet. What are your thoughts on that? Also, what about the focus speed, will it be a problem? Thanks Clay

  7. #57
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by clay stewart View Post
    Thanks for the pics, Jono. So what do you think? One thing that I think I've noticed about all the pics I've seen on the net so far, is that there seems to be a softness to the images, as if it had a very strong AA filter. That leaf shot of yours, seems to be the sharpest I've seen yet. What are your thoughts on that? Also, what about the focus speed, will it be a problem? Thanks Clay
    Actually Oly has said that they used a much weaker AA filter than normal. I think a lot of what has been posted on line started and ended as jpegs. Jono is one of the very few people I've seen shoot raw and use the Oly software to process.

  8. #58
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    HI There
    the wedding I was at was not 'my' wedding, so I didn't take too many shots, and I didn't only use the EP1 either.
    Here is just one shot of the happy couple:


    take with kit zoom
    The rest are much later at the reception - all are taken either with the zeiss 50mm f1.5 or the 75 mm 'cron. All are manually focused (obviously) and none was using the magnify function.

    This one was at 3200, and I have simply exported it as a jpg, so you can get some idea of the reality:



    the rest are at 1250 or 1600











    this one was very late!



    All were originally shot as jpg using AWB

    One thing I will say about the camera, is that using it with a manual focus lens is rather wonderful - better (I think) than using it with a rangefinder or an evf, because you can hold the camera down, still see easily what's in the LCD, and use your real eyes to judge the moment. I can see that the camera would be great for shooting in the street, setting a hyperfocal distance with an MF lens and shooting from the hip. (something I was doing with an M8 in last week - much more difficult as you must guess the framing.)

    Just this guy you know

  9. #59
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Last one reminds me of Dustin Hoffman.

  10. #60
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by nei1 View Post
    nice shots Jono,the camellia looks suitably creamy
    Thanks Neil . . . you are hereby forgiven for calling me childish

    Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    Thanks Jono - those are lovely images. We all knew deep down that this would be the case.

    Can you expand on "(no real problems with the LCD)" A guarded opinion.

    Might have been better if it were articulated, or was brightness an issue - looks like a bright day?
    HI Keith - I'm not really experienced with either the camera, or using an LCD only. That's the only reason for being guarded. A couple of points:

    1. the AF speed didn't bug me
    2. the manual focusing with M lenses was manageable and produced only marginally less sharp pictures than I would have with a Leica - remember, no practice, no experience, no magnify.
    3. the LCD viewing angle is really good - I don't miss the articulated LCD of the E3 at all.
    4. I can see the LCD well enough to take pictures in very bright sunlight - of course, our garden on a sunny june day is hardly Greece, but it's bright.


    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Hi Jono,
    Looking good. Seems like you ditched the kit lens pretty quickly. The feather detail looks pretty darn good to me. Hopefully the camera handled nicely for you.

    The 50 macro looks like it makes a nice combo with the body. How much did you rely on the straight AF or did you do some manual tweaks?

    p.s. 4 days in Baku and how much travel time...bleccch
    HI Terry - actually, the kit lens looks pretty good, but last night it was too dark (most of those are shot at f1.5) today I was being asked what the focusing was like with the body so I thought I'd try it.

    With the macro, they were nearly all simply S-AF, with the 50-100 lots of them had a little tweak (it was remarkably easy and the hand fell to the zoom/focus ring easily).

    p.s. - 5 hour flight, 3 hour drive each way, 4 hour time difference - interesting place though.

    Quote Originally Posted by clay stewart View Post
    Thanks for the pics, Jono. So what do you think? One thing that I think I've noticed about all the pics I've seen on the net so far, is that there seems to be a softness to the images, as if it had a very strong AA filter. That leaf shot of yours, seems to be the sharpest I've seen yet. What are your thoughts on that? Also, what about the focus speed, will it be a problem?
    Hi Clay - Terry has it, the AA filter looks much lighter than any 4/3 I've seen from Olympus.
    As for the focus speed - if you're expecting it to be like an SLR you'll be disappointed, if you're expecting it to be like a d-lux4 . . . you'll be pretty pleased!

    Just this guy you know

  11. #61
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Last one reminds me of Dustin Hoffman.
    Hi Terry - he's a painter, and the loveliest man you could ever wish to meet . . not good at 4am when you keep opening more bottles though

    Just this guy you know

  12. #62
    nei1
    Guest

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    and what beautiful nails the young man,second from last,has,...........nice image.

  13. #63
    Senior Member kweide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,631
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    WOW Jono. I took some of your wedding pics and chased them thru my PP. Boy... i now go for E-P1. Its great stuff and you are right. That is a fun-machine. But tell me more about the glass you used. I saw thru EXIF it must have been legacy glasses and DOF told me the same.

    Nei1, dont be jealous, but she must be beautiful. He enjoyed ....
    Klick pic to expand

    Attachment 18660
    Last edited by kweide; 28th June 2009 at 10:29.
    __________________________________________________
    Part of the Wonderland
    see more ( NSFW ) on : http://www.klaweide.de

  14. #64
    Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1117

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Last one reminds me of Dustin Hoffman.

    Yes - he has that squinty eye thing - but needs a bit more weight. That might be a wig

    Dustin Hoffman in disguise?? We need to hear his voice


    Keith
    Last edited by woodmancy; 28th June 2009 at 11:17.

  15. #65
    Senior Member Per Ofverbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    503
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    The Online Photographer had a link for a Youtubes video about the EP-1 which gave me a good idea of size. Larger than I bet most are thinking that haven't seen or held it.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgbN1iiuEUM
    ...
    Ver-ry interesting....

    My immediate reaction is, for all practical purposes, this is about the same bulk as my beloved Digilux 2 (and since I got the G1 with 14-45, I´ve considered that one to be similar to the Digilux 2; I use the same bags for either).

    I´ve somehow been led to believe that the EP-1 was just slightly larger than my D-Lux 4; it certainly isn´t. I´m afraid this put some cold water on my desire for the EP-1: it really doesn´t trump my present trio of cameras, rather the other way around.

    Waiting for that mythical "second" Oly mFT later this year; meanwhile, I´ll pass on this one,

  16. #66
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    Yes - he has that squinty eye thing - but needs a bit more weight. That might be a wig
    Tony wear a wig
    He certainly doesn't sound like Mr Hoffman - straightforward english accent.

    Just this guy you know

  17. #67
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Per Ofverbeck View Post
    Ver-ry interesting....

    My immediate reaction is, for all practical purposes, this is about the same bulk as my beloved Digilux 2 (and since I got the G1 with 14-45, I´ve considered that one to be similar to the Digilux 2; I use the same bags for either).
    HI Per
    it certainly feels a lot smaller than the G1 - especially if you stick a leica 35 summarit on the front.

    I wouldn't get too excited about the next one, I suspect there will be 2

    1. which is pretty much like the G1 - probably slightly cheaper than this
    2. like this but weathersealed and with some kind of EVF, slightly larger and considerably more expensive.

    I doubt there will be anything much smaller.

    Just this guy you know

  18. #68
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by kweide View Post
    WOW Jono. I took some of your wedding pics and chased them thru my PP. Boy... i now go for E-P1. Its great stuff and you are right. That is a fun-machine. But tell me more about the glass you used. I saw thru EXIF it must have been legacy glasses and DOF told me the same.

    Nei1, dont be jealous, but she must be beautiful. He enjoyed ....
    Klick pic to expand

    Attachment 18660
    Hi Klaus
    they look pretty good don't they - especially considering I hadn't a clue what I was doing . . . and I'd been drinking for about 5 hours before I started taking those low light shots

    I was using the Zeiss 50 f1.5 sonnar for most of them - usually at f1.5 or f2. There are one or two taken with the Leica 75 f2 summicron - again, mostly wide open.

    Just this guy you know

  19. #69
    Senior Member helenhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,895
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

    I was using the Zeiss 50 f1.5 sonnar for most of them - usually at f1.5 or f2. There are one or two taken with the Leica 75 f2 summicron - again, mostly wide open.
    They Look Quite Refined & Lovely...
    Thanx for Posting because I really had no Interest in this Cam
    BUT Now YOU have turned my head around...Coool
    Best- H

  20. #70
    Member kai.e.g.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Friuli-Venezia-Giulia, Italy
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Someone pointed out elsewhere that you can tether a screen to the E-P1 via its HDMI port, which simply outputs what you'd normally see on the rear LCD. This leads me to wonder: 1) could a 3rd party shoe-mounted EVF be engineered with a cable connection down to the HDMI port (kind of like cold-shoe flashes of old)... or 2) more easily, could one similarly rig up a little shoe-mounted 3.5" screen which would be viewed straight down (ie, like a Hasselblad or TLR) ? I think I (or anyone) could do that 2nd option, but the first one would be even more tantalizing....

  21. #71
    Senior Member Per Ofverbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    503
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Per
    it certainly feels a lot smaller than the G1 - especially if you stick a leica 35 summarit on the front.
    Well, I just referred to my subjective impression from the videos. You´ve handled both cameras yourself, so I take your word for it...

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I wouldn't get too excited about the next one, I suspect there will be 2

    1. which is pretty much like the G1 - probably slightly cheaper than this
    2. like this but weathersealed and with some kind of EVF, slightly larger and considerably more expensive.

    I doubt there will be anything much smaller.
    Maybe I wasn´t clear about what I expected; I thought this was something close to the DL4 (or maybe the DP2) in bulk, but with a 4/3 sensor. If it´s more similar to the G1, I don´t feel it´s worthwhile for me. BUT: anything in mFT that retains the EVF and swivelling screen of the G1, AND adds weather sealing and in-body IS for my old Leica glass will be very worthwhile, even if it´s a bit bigger than the G1 (and not the price of a M8..).

  22. #72
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    In all of those 35mm cameras you mention, you can look through a viewfinder to see your image.
    ...
    Why didn't they put in a chinzy optical OVF as in the Canon G10?
    Nonsense. The LCD is what I use *whenever* I'm working on a tripod nowadays, whether indoors or outdoors. Ever heard of a dark cloth? ];-) And I use the LCD when framing for a lot of work even when I do have an EVF or OVF nowdays. This is one of the plusses of the digital camera era.

    I will buy just two OVFs: the one for the 17mm and one for my 40mm lenses (I already have that one, actually). Don't need any more.

    I absolutely despise the crappy built-in OVF of the G10. It's utterly useless IMO ... I can't see a thing with it. Waste of money to put it on the camera. I'd rather have only the LCD and learn how to shade it from the sun.

  23. #73
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    ... The only photographic issue I really have with the G1 now is DR (and likely all 4/3rds sensors). ...
    Not that I believe the G1 sensor is on par with the DR of a sensor with 3.5x the area ... but I found on testing the G1 for DR that given the fact that the metering is not protective of highlights AND the set ISO is about .3-.5 EV pessimistic. This means its easy to overexpose highlights. Dial in a -.3 to -.5 EV Exposure compensation setting, and its DR is right in line with L1, E-1 and K10D bodies at around 9.5 stops (K10D is best at 10.5 stops and the L1/E-1 turn 10 stops).

    Works well enough for me. :-)

  24. #74
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Good stuff, Jono!

    Nice to hear that the AF works ... I don't need "fast" ... and the image quality looks very good.

    my piggy bank looks very scared.

  25. #75
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,983
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    I should have guessed....

    I'll see if I can get one with the pancake lens in a week or two. Its as a genuine dslr alternative carry anywhere that this camera interests me.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

  26. #76
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

    my piggy bank looks very scared.
    I have visions of you standing near it with a hammer held over your head ready to crash down....

  27. #77
    Member kai.e.g.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Friuli-Venezia-Giulia, Italy
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    There are a couple of very nervous-looking EF lenses in my cupboard which have not been used for some time, and whose combined resale value just happens to equate to the price of a 2-lens EP-1 kit....

  28. #78
    Member Bill Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Scarboro, Ontario
    Posts
    91
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Sorry Jono but I coudn't wait for your results and thought that I would post someone else's who went to Berlin ... and it shoots in square format which is a plus so here they are and I hope that the photographer doesn't mind sharing them

    http://mdezemery.zenfolio.com/p1018430367

  29. #79
    Senior Member helenhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,895
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gordon View Post
    Sorry Jono but I coudn't wait for your results and thought that I would post someone else's who went to Berlin ... and it shoots in square format which is a plus so here they are and I hope that the photographer doesn't mind sharing them

    http://mdezemery.zenfolio.com/p1018430367
    FANTASTIC B&W Set...I'm Sold -H

  30. #80
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Per
    it certainly feels a lot smaller than the G1 - especially if you stick a leica 35 summarit on the front.

    I wouldn't get too excited about the next one, I suspect there will be 2

    1. which is pretty much like the G1 - probably slightly cheaper than this
    2. like this but weathersealed and with some kind of EVF, slightly larger and considerably more expensive.

    I doubt there will be anything much smaller.
    #2 would suit me but for the 'considerably more expensive'. Guess I'll have to wait and see or choose this one. I just like the slim design of this one and with an added smallish lens (17 or 20 or something like my Konica 40 f/1.7), it should be a good one for in a small handbag--men's or women's--rather than a camera bag. I often have my camera out carrying it and this looks like it would be so nice for that--planning to buy the Y strap right now.

    Diane

  31. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Not that I believe the G1 sensor is on par with the DR of a sensor with 3.5x the area ... but I found on testing the G1 for DR that given the fact that the metering is not protective of highlights AND the set ISO is about .3-.5 EV pessimistic. This means its easy to overexpose highlights. Dial in a -.3 to -.5 EV Exposure compensation setting, and its DR is right in line with L1, E-1 and K10D bodies at around 9.5 stops (K10D is best at 10.5 stops and the L1/E-1 turn 10 stops).

    Works well enough for me. :-)
    I did and do--and even more. This was a very extreme situation, I grant you, and had I been thinking better, I would have just bracketed at the amount I needed and done a manual blend. I was shooting primarily with the 5D for this--and thought I'd try the G1 in same conditions. In most other more 'normal' conditions I've been able to work from a RAW and be happy. This time not--but it taught me to take more time and think about what the camera and RAW file are capable of. Traveling with another--and being in the way of other photographers--makes one do things more quickly than I'd like.

    Diane

  32. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by kai.e.g. View Post
    There are a couple of very nervous-looking EF lenses in my cupboard which have not been used for some time, and whose combined resale value just happens to equate to the price of a 2-lens EP-1 kit....
    Hmmmm---I've been looking at my shelf for a bit now--same--EF lenses that don't see much time on the camera.

    Diane

  33. #83
    Senior Member kweide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,631
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    FANTASTIC B&W Set...I'm Sold -H
    Those pics show Hamburg and he went to Hamburg thru an Oly invitation. The european HQ is in Hamburg. I see it multiple times a week ...

    Yes, i live near Hamburg
    __________________________________________________
    Part of the Wonderland
    see more ( NSFW ) on : http://www.klaweide.de

  34. #84
    Senior Member Robert Campbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    1,097
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by kai.e.g. View Post
    ... more easily, could one similarly rig up a little shoe-mounted 3.5" screen which would be viewed straight down (ie, like a Hasselblad or TLR) ? I think I (or anyone) could do that 2nd option, but the first one would be even more tantalizing....
    I saw a mirror in one of the mags a while ago; attaches at the LCD, and can be flipped to one side, or downwards...I didn't think much of it at the time.
    Sláinte

    Robert.

  35. #85
    Senior Member Robert Campbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    1,097
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    I'm Sold -H
    This place is getting far toooooo expensive for me
    Sláinte

    Robert.

  36. #86
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gordon View Post
    Sorry Jono but I coudn't wait for your results and thought that I would post someone else's who went to Berlin ... and it shoots in square format which is a plus so here they are and I hope that the photographer doesn't mind sharing them

    http://mdezemery.zenfolio.com/p1018430367
    Hi Bill - arent' they great . . much more interesting than mine. Absolutely welcome

    Just this guy you know

  37. #87
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    This place is getting far toooooo expensive for me
    Helen is lovely . . . but I don't think she's expecting you to buy her's for her.

    Just this guy you know

  38. #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    I saw a mirror in one of the mags a while ago; attaches at the LCD, and can be flipped to one side, or downwards...I didn't think much of it at the time.
    Thinking you may be talking of a Flipbac. I bought one for my G9 thinking it might help use the LCD more efficiently. I used it for one trip--sort of (the image is upside down which one can get used to obviously LOL), but it will only work at 45 degrees and that often just isn't sufficient. I took it off. YMMV of course, but it didn't work for me--actually even got in the way at times.

    Diane

  39. #89
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Nonsense. The LCD is what I use *whenever* I'm working on a tripod nowadays, whether indoors or outdoors. Ever heard of a dark cloth? ];-) And I use the LCD when framing for a lot of work even when I do have an EVF or OVF nowdays. This is one of the plusses of the digital camera era.

    I will buy just two OVFs: the one for the 17mm and one for my 40mm lenses (I already have that one, actually). Don't need any more.

    I absolutely despise the crappy built-in OVF of the G10. It's utterly useless IMO ... I can't see a thing with it. Waste of money to put it on the camera. I'd rather have only the LCD and learn how to shade it from the sun.
    I love shooting with the G1 on a tripod, using the articulating LCD at approximately waist level. At my age, I don't think my back and neck would tolerate using the EP-1 in a similar fashion.

  40. #90
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    I love shooting with the G1 on a tripod, using the articulating LCD at approximately waist level. At my age, I don't think my back and neck would tolerate using the EP-1 in a similar fashion.
    I agree - you can't beat an articulating screen for tripod work. Luckily the IS and in-built electronic level make a tripod slightly less necessary... and in the very rare occasions I need a tripod, I'll use another camera

    Kind Regards

    Brian

  41. #91
    Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    787
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    82

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Congrats Jono and Brian on your latest family member.

  42. #92
    Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1117

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Nonsense. The LCD is what I use *whenever* I'm working on a tripod nowadays, whether indoors or outdoors. Ever heard of a dark cloth? ];-) And I use the LCD when framing for a lot of work even when I do have an EVF or OVF nowdays. This is one of the plusses of the digital camera era.
    I agree - there are two schools of thought here. Use a tripod or hold it in your hand. I wish I could use a tripod, but I'm afraid I'm too lazy.

    If I work off a tripod and cover myself with my raincoat, I could use the LCD. Don't have time for that

    But, each to his own - I'm trying to push myself in that direction, I have two tripods and a monopod, but I haven't used them. Give me time

    I was hoping the digital camera era would not mean that I had to carry 20lb of gear and a raincoat.

    Keith

  43. #93
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    I agree - there are two schools of thought here. Use a tripod or hold it in your hand. I wish I could use a tripod, but I'm afraid I'm too lazy.

    If I work off a tripod and cover myself with my raincoat, I could use the LCD. Don't have time for that

    But, each to his own - I'm trying to push myself in that direction, I have two tripods and a monopod, but I haven't used them. Give me time

    I was hoping the digital camera era would not mean that I had to carry 20lb of gear and a raincoat.

    Keith
    Hi Keith
    I also have two tripods and a monopod . . . but they instantly kill every photographic instinct I have (few though they may be). I'm not working towards using them, I'm refining techniques for NOT using them.

    The idea of buying an EP1 because it's small . . . . and then sticking it on a tripod . . . . seems very strange to me. If I really was willing to use a tripod, I'd use it on an MF body, or at least the A900.

    I sometimes have photos ruined by camera shake, but I've never taken a photo on a tripod which was worth a damn (me of course).

    Just this guy you know

  44. #94
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Although I hate the thought of not having a viewfinder, this starts to look tempting anyway.

    Jono, will it AF with my 11-22?

  45. #95
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I also have two tripods and a monopod . . . but they instantly kill every photographic instinct I have (few though they may be).
    ... I've never taken a photo on a tripod which was worth a damn (me of course).
    LOL ... Well, you guys should know by now that I work with cameras using a tripod quite a lot. Not all the time, of course, but always when I get serious on subject matter that needs the most out of what the camera can produce. Doesn't matter matter what camera, whether large or small. "My sharpest lens is a sturdy tripod." :-)

    Of course, I hand-hold a camera quite a lot too.

  46. #96
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Although I hate the thought of not having a viewfinder, this starts to look tempting anyway.

    Jono, will it AF with my 11-22?
    Hi Jorgen
    I'm afraid so

    Just this guy you know

  47. #97
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    LOL ... Well, you guys should know by now that I work with cameras using a tripod quite a lot. Not all the time, of course, but always when I get serious on subject matter that needs the most out of what the camera can produce. Doesn't matter matter what camera, whether large or small. "My sharpest lens is a sturdy tripod." :-)

    Of course, I hand-hold a camera quite a lot too.
    Each to his own Godfrey . . .

    Just this guy you know

  48. #98
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Jorgen
    I'm afraid so
    Oh bugger... I'll have to get one then, right? But I was supposed to buy a K-7

  49. #99
    Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1117

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Keith
    I also have two tripods and a monopod . . . but they instantly kill every photographic instinct I have (few though they may be). I'm not working towards using them, I'm refining techniques for NOT using them.

    The idea of buying an EP1 because it's small . . . . and then sticking it on a tripod . . . . seems very strange to me. If I really was willing to use a tripod, I'd use it on an MF body, or at least the A900.

    I sometimes have photos ruined by camera shake, but I've never taken a photo on a tripod which was worth a damn (me of course).

    This is an interesting thread. Cartier-Bresson would not have used a tripod (we all agree on that). But he looked at life through his viewfinder which showed him maybe 90% of life. But he got it.

    I don't think you can do that with an LCD. So, put on the OVF, and I have no problem with that. But you have to put on a new OVF for each one of your primes, and I don't know what you do with zooms. At least, Leica could accommodate a few lens changes without adding an OVF.

    We have to go with the chinzy Canon approach or an add-on EVF like the Ricoh.

    Keith

  50. #100
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Having fun with the E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    I don't think you can do that with an LCD.

    Keith
    You can do anything with anything, it's mostly a question of learning to use the tool the way required for the purpose. While I would undoubtedly prefer a good viewfinder to a more or less good LCD, in the long run, I would probably take the same photos with both tools.

    I do worry about proper focus at wide apertures though, particularly when working fast. That "decisive moment" may only be available for a fraction of a second.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •