Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Having fun with the E-P1

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Having fun with the E-P1

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Terry. That was a good one. I especially liked seeing the 3 cameras together--gave me a much better idea of size with a camera I was familiar with.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Thanks Terry. That was a good one. I especially liked seeing the 3 cameras together--gave me a much better idea of size with a camera I was familiar with.

Diane
    Hopefully I will have one this week and can post a whole series of side by sides with different lenses. The 25 lux didn't look so hideous on the camera. Wow that could be an interesting "party" lens for low light situations.

Post Thanks / Like

No, it didn't. Playing around with my EF 28 f/1.8, I would really like a fast in that range that I can change apertures on without mounting on an EF body LOL (I do have an FD 24 f/2.8 but would really like a faster lens in this FL--there is an FD 24 f/2 that I passed up initially. I'll have to do a bit of looking around).

Looking forward to YOUR 'review' also. This has been a good thread--lots of things to consider from different viewpoints.

Diane
    Last edited by Diane B; 28th June 2009 at 20:48.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully we'll get shipments this week, Olympus is training Tuesday. I might have to train them, thanks to this thread.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    This is an interesting thread. Cartier-Bresson would not have used a tripod (we all agree on that). But he looked at life through his viewfinder which showed him maybe 90% of life. But he got it.

I don't think you can do that with an LCD. So, put on the OVF, and I have no problem with that. But you have to put on a new OVF for each one of your primes, and I don't know what you do with zooms. At least, Leica could accommodate a few lens changes without adding an OVF.
    Of course you can do that with an LCD. Thousands of people do already.

I only need two OVFs, for wide-normal and portrait lenses. For my other lenses, I'll use the LCD.

Post Thanks / Like

That B&W set of Dezemery's is INCREDIBLE, like Helen, it has sold me on this little camera. He has some incredible processing techniques too, i think.
    My photoblog: http://josefskye.tumblr.com
    Friend me on Facebook: Josef Skye Tornick

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tripods are required for low light landscape work (you know, before dawn, after sunset, shutter speeds of several seconds). I can see the advantage of a camera like the Ep1 then. If you are carrying a huge bag of cameras and lenses, the thought of a tripod can be a step too far. But if you are carrying a tiny camera and lens in a pocket with perhaps one spare lens, the tripod burden becomes modest. I tried this with the DP1. A 300g camera is nothing so I didn't have any bother with carrying a tripod.

That's my experience anyway. I can't use a viewfinderless camera like the DP1 for handheld use. Completely impossible, might as well shoot with my eyes shut. Ummm... good idea, might improve composition...

ps

We are off to iceland on Friday, and I'm going to put this theory to the test.

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Keith
    I also have two tripods and a monopod . . . but they instantly kill every photographic instinct I have (few though they may be). I'm not working towards using them, I'm refining techniques for NOT using them.

The idea of buying an EP1 because it's small . . . . and then sticking it on a tripod . . . . seems very strange to me. If I really was willing to use a tripod, I'd use it on an MF body, or at least the A900.

I sometimes have photos ruined by camera shake, but I've never taken a photo on a tripod which was worth a damn (me of course).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, I looked, then rushed off to try and convert some of my shots to B&W trying various tools. Couldn't get anything with that range and depth of tone. I wonder how he does it.

Quote Originally Posted by MoJo View Post
    That B&W set of Dezemery's is INCREDIBLE, like Helen, it has sold me on this little camera. He has some incredible processing techniques too, i think.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    I don't think you can do that with an LCD. So, put on the OVF, and I have no problem with that. But you have to put on a new OVF for each one of your primes, and I don't know what you do with zooms. At least, Leica could accommodate a few lens changes without adding an OVF.
    HI Keith
    Well, I can't do it with an EVF, that's for sure, but actually, the LCD is different.

Remember that 4/3 has more dof then 35mm - if you're using, say, a 17mm lens (like the pancake), then if it's at f5.6 or thereabouts, then you can set the focus on manual, put it on 2.5 metres and blast away.

What I found myself doing at the wedding was holding the camera down at sternum height, using the lcd for framing (the angle is really good) and then using my eyes on the subject for the 'decisive moment'. This wasn't perfect in poor light of course, but it's how lots of people shoot rangefinders. Of course, with manual focus the shutter lag is very small too.

This is a 'different beast' IMHO and requires different techniques. I'm not going to be in a hurry to put an Optical viewfinder on mine though, because using the LCD as a rough guide and my eyes for confirmation seems a good way to go.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by davemillier View Post
    Yes, I looked, then rushed off to try and convert some of my shots to B&W trying various tools. Couldn't get anything with that range and depth of tone. I wonder how he does it.
    Have you tried Silver efex pro?

Have a great trip to Iceland - will you be taking an Ep1 with you?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gordon View Post
    Sorry Jono but I coudn't wait for your results and thought that I would post someone else's who went to Berlin ... and it shoots in square format which is a plus so here they are and I hope that the photographer doesn't mind sharing them

http://mdezemery.zenfolio.com/p1018430367
    Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    FANTASTIC B&W Set...I'm Sold -H
    Indeed a great bunch of pictures. But, honestly, dont you think a good photographer could do that with some other camera as well?...

(As you can see, Im putting my defence up using any argument I can think of.... )

jKK

Hello

I went to Jessops [London New Oxford St] yesterday
    to check out the E-P1 !

They had one "use-able" display model that can be handled.
    But . . .

Unfortunately the focus was no longer working on the zoom kit
    lens.
    Already broken after only 4 days on display !

The camera is quite nice tho !
    PS they had sold out already

Can someone please try a Pen F lens on this camera, I
    am keen to see the combo

-jkk

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use Black and white styler from the Focal Blade people. I tried out silver efex but it is a silly price and I wasn't convinced.

Too soon for an EP1 for me; but I'm keeping an eye on what people say. Obviously, I'll have to wait a bit to evaluate your opinion; love at first sight, then sold two weeks later, LOL.

Iceland will be seeing: 5D, 450D, 20-35 Tokina, 70-210usm, 35mm/f2 Nikon. DP-1, ND grads, polariser, Sherpa pro CF tripod. That will all fit in one Microtrekker backback but even though I'm leaving a ton of stuff behind it still looks a lot to lug. An EP-1 and a couple of lenses would be a lot smaller!

So, what do you think. Could the EP1 + 2 lenses + tripod make a satisfactory landscape outfit for prints up to A3? Or is it a compromise too far?

Have you tried Silver efex pro?

Have a great trip to Iceland - will you be taking an Ep1 with you?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use Black and white styler from the Focal Blade people. I tried out silver efex but it is a silly price and I wasn't convinced.

Too soon for an EP1 for me; but I'm keeping an eye on what people say. Obviously, I'll have to wait a bit to evaluate your opinion; love at first sight, then sold two weeks later, LOL.
    I admit it all! Still, it doesn't mean I've changed my mind . . . I only had an E620 for 4 days . . . and I DID really like it, it was just that it wasn't going to fit in with what I already have usefully.

The danger for the E-P1 is that it will always seem better to take an M8 with me - that remains to be seen.

Iceland will be seeing: 5D, 450D, 20-35 Tokina, 70-210usm, 35mm/f2 Nikon. DP-1, ND grads, polariser, Sherpa pro CF tripod. That will all fit in one Microtrekker backback but even though I'm leaving a ton of stuff behind it still looks a lot to lug. An EP-1 and a couple of lenses would be a lot smaller!

So, what do you think. Could the EP1 + 2 lenses + tripod make a satisfactory landscape outfit for prints up to A3? Or is it a compromise too far?
    I'm sure - quite certain in fact, I would have thought that for most purposes you could go up to a2

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Per Ofverbeck View Post
    Indeed a great bunch of pictures. But, honestly, dont you think a good photographer could do that with some other camera as well?...

(As you can see, Im putting my defence up using any argument I can think of.... )
    Hi there Per
    Of course, mine could have been taken with any other camera which would mount both Olympus and leica lenses . . . . and Marc's could only really have been taken by Marc - not sure that the camera is important!

Still - now I know your reason for being critical I'll try and find some more reasons for you not to buy it.

. . . I have to say, I thought the body material was a bit . . .erm . . flashy - I prefer low key.

there - does that make it better

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can we just go over that point again...

I have been looking for a way to carry a lightweight camera outfit dedicated to landscape use. So lightweight I would actually bother to take a tripod.

I have a e410 and the two tiny kit lenses but I have never considered it for this role even though it sounds suited, mainly because all the reviews and sniping comments about its small sensor, softness, noise and limited DR have put me off even trying it out seriously.

Are you saying 4/3 can be taken seriously in this role? If so, is there much difference in A3 print quality between the E410 and EP1? How would either compare to 450D and 5D up to A3? Why am I even asking you this when I already own 3 of the 4 cameras????

The trouble with reading forums is that sometimes the opinions seem to override the evidence of your own eyes...

I admit it all! Still, it doesn't mean I've changed my mind . . . I only had an E620 for 4 days . . . and I DID really like it, it was just that it wasn't going to fit in with what I already have usefully.

The danger for the E-P1 is that it will always seem better to take an M8 with me - that remains to be seen.

I'm sure - quite certain in fact, I would have thought that for most purposes you could go up to a2

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jKK View Post

Can someone please try a Pen F lens on this camera, I
    am keen to see the combo

-jkk

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have been looking for a way to carry a lightweight camera outfit dedicated to landscape use. So lightweight I would actually bother to take a tripod.

I have a e410 and the two tiny kit lenses but I have never considered it for this role even though it sounds suited, mainly because all the reviews and sniping comments about its small sensor, softness, noise and limited DR have put me off even trying it out seriously.

Are you saying 4/3 can be taken seriously in this role? If so, is there much difference in A3 print quality between the E410 and EP1? How would either compare to 450D and 5D up to A3? Why am I even asking you this when I already own 3 of the 4 cameras????

The trouble with reading forums is that sometimes the opinions seem to override the evidence of your own eyes...
    I think the sensors used in 4/3 and m4/3 have gotten considerably better since the 410. This is on both ends of the spectrum noise and dynamic range. Certainly I would print a G1 image at A3.

I think the EP1 and G1 share sensors and Oly has certainly improved the firmware.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This looks pretty interesting. Like to see some images from it
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Just made me chuckle.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I think the sensors used in 4/3 and m4/3 have gotten considerably better since the 410. This is on both ends of the spectrum noise and dynamic range. Certainly I would print a G1 image at A3.

I think the EP1 and G1 share sensors and Oly has certainly improved the firmware.
    I have printed G1 files at A3 a number of times (3800 on Ilford GFS)--in fact the same scene from 5D and G1 (shot as close as possible as far as DOF, FL, etc.) and was pleased. I did print a 2 over 2 pano from the G1 at 16 x 24 was satisfied this was a viable route to take for some situations. I wouldn't hesitate to print at A3 though.

I should say here that I have had a bit of a bias against the 4/3rds except for color. I bought the G1 thinking it would simply be my 'small' cam for hiking and long days walking where I didn't want to carry a big kit. In the end, I find I'm shootinq quite a lot with it--partly because its just a terrifically fun camera to shoot with--esp. with MF lenses, but also because I found that I liked the color, was satisfied with the A3 and smaller prints--and am gaining a lot more confidence in its usage. I would guess I would feel the same with the EP-1 (except for my caveat about VF which I'm willing to reconsider as I read more personal reviews).

As far as sensors getting better--I can't speak at all to that, but isn't it being said that the EP-1 appears to do better with higher ISO noise?? IF DR would be improved, that would be yet another reason for me to consider.

Diane
    Last edited by Diane B; 29th June 2009 at 07:20.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly
    Let's be honest David - we have such different methodology for landscape - I have some prints I think are fine at A2 from the humble old E1 - it depends on the subject.

Added to which, I always shoot hand held . ..

I don't think you would really take my approach to landscape seriously in the first place, so my opinion on the useability of a camera would be more the case.

As for lenses . . . well, I don't think I'd use anybody's kit lens for a landscape, except perhaps the 24-70 f2.8 zeiss kit with the A900!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    This looks pretty interesting. Like to see some images from it
    Look at page 3 Guy - plenty there

then there are Mark Dezemery E-P1 pics
    wonderful black and white

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay enough for me. I want one . Think I will sell my G10.

Question though can I process the raws in C1 or what programs can process these. Might have to wait for some updates from these folks
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well just looked at C1 it covers every camera Oly makes so just a matter of a update i would hope

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

On my last two photo trips, I carried L1 and three lenses (11-22, 25, 35) ... and tripod. Not cumbersome at all. I can never understand people carrying three bodies, twelve lenses, etc. I would NOT be without a tripod for landscape work, period.

Panasonic L1 + Summilux 25

Panasonic L1 + Olympus ZD 11-22

Panasonic L1 + Olympus ZD 25

Tripods make a difference.

Regard forum opinions: first hand experience is always far more valuable. I only recommend things that I have personally tried out myself and found to be useful, workable solutions to problems.
    Last edited by Godfrey; 29th June 2009 at 09:22.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I expect Camera Raw/DNG Converter and Lightroom will include the E-P1 shortly. That's when I'll buy one, unless I do it before... ;-)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

We get our first shipment of E-P1s tomorrow. Hopefully they will update Camera RAW by tomorrow.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Regard forum opinions: first hand experience is always far more valuable. I only recommend things that I have personally tried out myself and found to be useful, workable solutions to problems.
    Hi Godfrey - I try very hard not to recommend anything at all. We all have different needs and intentions.

Here are a few simple shots taken in a ten minute break this afternoon with the E-P1 and the kit lens:

Shot as jpg - almost no pp (time is of the essence . . . )

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Per Ofverbeck View Post

sure, a good photographer could of used any camera to do those shots, all modern cameras are darn good these days. he has the eye, and knows how to process his files.

-Josef

Post Thanks / Like

well, on his website he says he shot jpegs i believe, and just pulls in the blacks a bit. i don't think it is that hard to get that effect at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MoJo View Post
    well, on his website he says he shot jpegs i believe, and just pulls in the blacks a bit. i don't think it is that hard to get that effect at all.
    On the dpreview Oly SLR forum he talks about the channel mixer, etc. in PS, so he apparently just processed them as many do in PS---but has a good eye for it. Oh, someone asked him about the on camera filters too--so he may have used them for some. Interestingly enough, he said he wasn't going to buy the camera for himself at this point (this was loaned by Oly for the day) and explain why later.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Met up with Terry yesterday when she picked up her E-P1 (the camera shop is just a few minutes from my home).

All I can say is "what a delightful camera!" The size, shape and feel is just right. We tried it with my 40/1.4 and 25/2.8, had no problem at all focusing them. We listened to the shutter sound compared to the G1 ... very similar, bu the E-P1 seems a little "tighter" ... probably a result of it being a bit denser and maybe the IS mechanism damping some more of the noise.

We made a few test exposures which I have on a card here, but I was too exhausted to try to do anything with them last night (Hell Day). But I tell you, there are various bits and pieces of equipment in my cabinet that are now feeling very scared ... never mind the piggy bank. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Got the chance to look at one today. The size and feel really reminded me of my old OM4 apart from the weight. Then the reflex to put the finder to my eye kicked in oh dear. Think I'll have to wait. Lovely camera otherwise though.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen or held one yet, but I saw that B and H had them in stock this morning and something extraordinary came over me:sleep006:. When I came to, I had an email from B and H, saying the item had shipped

I really wanted the 17 2.8, but I suspect these bodies will be in short supply for a while, so I got one while I could, along with the Panasonic M4/3 adapter,(I hope it works as well as the Oly one) so I could use my 25 2.8 and 11-22.

Ever since owning the Ricoh GRD, I've wanted something like it, with a larger sensor and interchangeable lenses, so I guess this is what I've been dreaming of

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly
    Let's be honest David - we have such different methodology for landscape - I have some prints I think are fine at A2 from the humble old E1 - it depends on the subject.

Added to which, I always shoot hand held . ..

I don't think you would really take my approach to landscape seriously in the first place, so my opinion on the useability of a camera would be more the case.

As for lenses . . . well, I don't think I'd use anybody's kit lens for a landscape, except perhaps the 24-70 f2.8 zeiss kit with the A900!
    Hey Jono

As always you bring forth many pregnant ideas about cameras, composition etc. My only confusion is that I did not think the 24-70 zoom had anything to do with the D series of Nikon bodies. I thought this was a Nikon product (and a darn good one at that) but the Zeiss ZF manual focus primes were just that slightest bit better. I just got back from Guy's workshop in Navajolands and the Zeiss primes were just superb. I did not wish for anything else at all. (Well just maybe a P65+ mounted on an Arca or Cambo WDS) to assure that I could get all that was in the field of view.)

We had fun and I recommend that everyone go on at least one of Guy and Jack's workshops to get down to it!!!! as the Music would say. Great fun this!

Best

Woody

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally a little time at my desk to look at the E-P1 photos I made with Terry yesterday.

I found there is a free Olympus Studio 2 update (v2.3.0) which now handles the E-P1 .ORF files. Studio 2 remains as wretched to use as ever, but at least I can evaluate the RAW files to some degree now.

As usual, though, Olympus produces some of the best JPEG files in the industry. ;-)

More when ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Finally a few of my own to add.....

I can't wait to have a go at the RAW file of this one....

I can say for sure there is something about this camera that seems to render B&W very nicely. I feel like I'm getting good blacks. Color jpeg converted to B&W in Lightroom

Moi with my 50 lux

Hey I live in a tourist city

Last night. The histogram of this shot was a surprise. Nothing even close to blowing. Straight from the camera. Histogram below.

Attachment 18873

Post Thanks / Like

This one's a work of art - brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Finally a few of my own to add.....

I can't wait to have a go at the RAW file of this one....

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a few simple shots taken in a ten minute break this afternoon with the E-P1 and the kit lens:

Eyyy, same butterfly at same plant

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks frozen in time. Clearly my favorite as well. Don't love the jpeg...waiting for RAW support!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Last night. The histogram of this shot was a surprise. Nothing even close to blowing. Straight from the camera. Histogram below.

Attachment 18873

Now this is impressive DR

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looking very good so far! Anxious to see more from this little cam.

Terry, will also chime in with an "atta girl" for your bridge shot, brilliant.
    How do you find working with the LCD? Your 50 lux looks great on the E-P1, what a nice combo for low light shooting, eh?
    Regards,
    Joan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: E-P1 Histogram and B+W

[QUOTE=TEBnewyork;113593The histogram of this shot was a surprise. Nothing even close to blowing.[/QUOTE]
    Take a look on this page:
    http://www.forums.getdpi.com/forum/s...683#post113683
    and scroll down to Brian's 4 B+W shots with the E-P1 + 17mm f2.8 pancake - N 2 is a beautiful example of what this camera does with monochrome; good histogram here I'll bet!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The monochrome on this camera has seriously caught my eye! The full set (link in this thread) from the person at DPreview is outstanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post

Now this is impressive DR
    I agree--I'm paying attention because this is something that is of interest to me.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can't resist....Brian Mosely asked for a side shot so I posted this on DPReview:

If feels really good on the camera. I'm taking it with me today and will test it out as a portrait lens at work. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry, Love your images of the Gate. I, too am interested in the black and whites. Where is the link that you mentioned? thanks, Durr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

here is the link:
    http://mdezemery.zenfolio.com/p1018430367