Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Having fun with the E-P1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Having fun with the E-P1

Yes, I saw his images. Very nice. Terry, I would love to see your shot of the guy, his kite and the Golden Gate when you process the raw image. I love it like it is but want to see what you do to it. BTW, which M adapter did you get? Thanks, Durr
    Last edited by durrIII; 2nd July 2009 at 09:43.

Post Thanks / Like

Stop it. I can't afford another camera right now, let alone another system.

You are all EVIL. Evil, I tell ya...

Post Thanks / Like

I was unsure... white or silver.... okay i will go for silver
    17mm pancake. Leica adapter to fit my 90 mm cron and the 4/3 adapter as well. Now i have to wait until the first E-P1 will arrive in Hamburg.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Olympus left the store three demo E-P1s to play with, I'm going to try one out with a Canon 50/0.95 today and will post some shots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To the lucky owners of this new little camera, how do you cope with the screen resolution ?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Last night. The histogram of this shot was a surprise. Nothing even close to blowing. Straight from the camera. Histogram below.

Now this is impressive DR

well, to me at least I don't see anything in that image which I would expect to blow, it seems quite soft light (speaking as an Australian where we have more challenging light).

How does it compare to the G1 with same lens / settings?
    Last edited by pellicle; 2nd July 2009 at 10:35.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

has anyone tried the Pana-Kit (14-45) and Video with the E-P1? The Oly-Kit is with C-AF extremly loud, listen here:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/01/o...d-mini-review/

Yogi

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I tested the Pana 14-45, it is much smoother/quieter than the 14-42 Olympus in my quick test. I did not shoot any video to measure the noise level however, this was just what I noticed when focusing. I can do more tests today.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sinwen View Post
    To the lucky owners of this new little camera, how do you cope with the screen resolution ?
    I'm not sure 'cope' is the right word, it's not as many pixels but seems plenty good enough in my experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    I'm not sure 'cope' is the right word, it's not as many pixels but seems plenty good enough in my experience.
    I should have said "manage". How is it in bright light outside ? How "sharp" is it to focus ?

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    Hi

well, to me at least I don't see anything in that image which I would expect to blow, it seems quite soft light (speaking as an Australian where we have more challenging light).

How does it compare to the G1 with same lens / settings?
    I think you missed the whole point it is not the highlights i was referring too but holding the shadow details. Almost any meter would have gone for the bright sky and killed the shadows, here it balanced it nice but the cream de la creme is the shadow detail that it is holding on at least a 5 stop swing.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Canon 50/0.95 on E-P1

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I tested this today, the Pana 14-45 kit lens on the E-P1, it's silent while focusing during video...the camera does not pick up any lens noise while in C-AF mode.

Quote Originally Posted by mod2001 View Post
    Hi,

has anyone tried the Pana-Kit (14-45) and Video with the E-P1? The Oly-Kit is with C-AF extremly loud, listen here:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/01/o...d-mini-review/

Yogi

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guy
    I think you missed the whole point it is not the highlights i was referring too but holding the shadow details.
    clearly ... well you did start refereing to blown hilights ... and I didn't see anything about shadow details.

was that the JPG histogram or the RAW one?

Almost any meter would have gone for the bright sky and killed the shadows, here it balanced it nice but the cream de la creme is the shadow detail that it is holding on at least a 5 stop swing.
    well I've found on my G1 and my nikon Coolpix (though not with my Canon stuff) that it does pretty well in situations like that, it doesn't blow the hilights nor does it stuff the whole scene so far down the spectrum as to give the shadows bareley any differentiatable levels (where quantization is low too).

I was trying to illustrate with my poor example that scene brightness range is the issue. In Finland (where I live now) the light is seldom so harsh (strong full sunlight) as it is in Australia. There dynamic range of your stuff will really be tested.

It's a nice image though and I wasn't critiquing it, I was just saying that I didn't think it represented much challenge for existing gear.

Not that I'm against the EP-1 at all ... but I'd like to see what it can do with tough lighting situations rather than smooth gentle evening light.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It was a jpeg because I can't open the RAWs yet but here is one from midday today. Shot with my 50lux. Was really trying to deal with sunny outdoor manual focus. So, not sure what is going on but again plenty of detail in the shdows and nothing blown.

Attachment 18908

Ranger 9

Last night. The histogram of this shot was a surprise. Nothing even close to blowing. Straight from the camera. Histogram below.
    Now there's the germ of a novel idea: A website where photographers post their favorite histograms! And post tips on how to get better histograms! Test reports on which cameras deliver the best histograms! Maybe even a histogram-of-the-year competition!! The webmaster could tour the country giving workshops on "How to Improve Your Histograms."

Heck, it could be next year's "Strobist"...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    Now there's the germ of a novel idea: A website where photographers post their favorite histograms! And post tips on how to get better histograms! Test reports on which cameras deliver the best histograms! Maybe even a histogram-of-the-year competition!! The webmaster could tour the country giving workshops on "How to Improve Your Histograms."

Heck, it could be next year's "Strobist"...
    I'm not sure I completely understand the sarcasm. Brand new camera. Taking shots in places I've had problems before and in these shots I am not blowing highlights or going to black in the shadows. Trying to work out what the camera is doing. What would you suggest in working out the metering or dynamic range this camera is capturing?

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    Hi Guy

clearly ... well you did start refereing to blown hilights ... and I didn't see anything about shadow details.

was that the JPG histogram or the RAW one?

well I've found on my G1 and my nikon Coolpix (though not with my Canon stuff) that it does pretty well in situations like that, it doesn't blow the hilights nor does it stuff the whole scene so far down the spectrum as to give the shadows bareley any differentiatable levels (where quantization is low too).

I was trying to illustrate with my poor example that scene brightness range is the issue. In Finland (where I live now) the light is seldom so harsh (strong full sunlight) as it is in Australia. There dynamic range of your stuff will really be tested.

It's a nice image though and I wasn't critiquing it, I was just saying that I didn't think it represented much challenge for existing gear.

Not that I'm against the EP-1 at all ... but I'd like to see what it can do with tough lighting situations rather than smooth gentle evening light.
    No you miss read my post which is 143 . I quoted Terry's comments (Maybe a bad cut and paste on my part) and all I wrote was this.

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Smile Re: Having fun with the E-P1

Canon 50/0.95 on E-P1
    Hello monza,
    It looks like a great combination! The photo is fabulous. Best regards, Leica 77

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

No you miss read my post which is 143 . I quoted Terry's comments (Maybe a bad cut and paste on my part) and all I wrote was this.

ok ... even going back it doesn't look like it was a quote ... sorry about the confusion.

still ... the quoted photo doesn't look like impressive dynamic range to me (least wise nothing more or less than I'd get with my G1).

Post Thanks / Like

I tested this today, the Pana 14-45 kit lens on the E-P1, it's silent while focusing during video...the camera does not pick up any lens noise while in C-AF mode.
    Hi Monza,

thanks for this really fast testing

so, i will buy the E-P1 today and order the Pana in Asia (can't get it here in Germany alone), meanwhile i will have fun with my old Pen F lenses

Yogi

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Terry,

I'm curious, what do you have 'gradation' set to, auto or normal?

And how is the LCD in bright California sunshine?

Also, I'm sure you know this, but you can use Studio or Master to access the raw files while you are waiting for your usual converter. Studio is clunky if you want to individually tweak each and every file, but works fine for batch conversion to tiffs.

thanks,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've just decided to shoot Raw+jpeg and save the RAWs until we have support. I don't have the patience to learn another system.

I have gradation set to normal. I haven't come up with my custom settings yet. There are so many different combinations that I want to make sure the basic camera settings stay intact.

For all of those who thought the G1 had too many different settings to chose from, Oly is even more complicated with their settings.

At the moment my simplest camera is the A900

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Thanks David
    Just in case you didn't believe I really had it . . . as I can't take a picture with it, here is a picture of it . . . with the 50-200 aboard of course

WOWZERS!!!!

That looks hilarious with that huge lens on it.
    Leica M8, M9 & Lens Reviews!
    http://www.stevehuffphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Inspired by Jono, I popped the E-P1 onto the ZD 50-200mm SWD today...

E-P1 + 50-200mm SWD
    1/125s f/4.0 at 200.0mm iso800

In body stabilisation seems to work OK

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Terry was picking up her M.Zuiko 17mm lens this morning so I popped up to K&S to see it and visit with her again.

I was early, she was running late, but while I waited I unloaded my bag full of goodies onto the counter and nabbed the demo E-P1 from the shelf and played with it. Terry arrived, we had a bit of refreshment and yakked about the little beast at the cafe across the street until I had to run off to do some work for a client.

My morning testing revealed:

- E-P1 focuses both the 11-22 and 35 Macro perfectly.
    - It focuses the 35 Macro with the EC14 behind it perfectly.
    - The Voigtländer Viewfinder 75mm works well with the 35 Macro (and my 40/1.4 as well).
    - Both the M.Zuiko 17mm and 14-42mm lenses work very nicely on the G1.
    - The Cosmicar 12.5mm f/1.4 works nicely on the E-P1 too.
    - Terry's G Vario 7-14/4 is a delight.
    - Terry's Summilux-M 50/1.4 fitted to the E-P1 is a thing of beauty.

A couple of pictures of the E-P1 with 35 Macro and OVF as well as next to my Olympus Pen EE, for size and shape comparison:

Darn nice camera. ;-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Godfrey - I just got home. Sat at the cafe for a while longer then headed over to the beach by way of La Honda and down to Santa Cruz. Used all sorts of lenses.....

But first Godfrey's PEN....by the way Godfrey it was a 36 exposure roll LOL...

17mm pancake straight from the camera jpegs

What the h**l kind of sensor is that?

50 lux - ooops a little too shallow on the camera - sorry about that Godfrey.

Post Thanks / Like

I have some E-P1 questions of someone cares to oblige.

I am extremely interested in the camera as it seems to fit my "style" of doing things very well.

My main question is how responsive is the shutter when run in manual focus? Does it have any indicator of focal distance ala the sigma DP1? I would run it as a scale focus machine primarily so auto focus is of little concern really. Is there lag if it's run in Aperture Priority and Manual Focus?

As well how is the iso 800-1600 performance. I work on a d700 and d3 and I am not looking for that sort of performance. I am fond of tri-x and neopan 1600 if that is any yardstick.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Godfrey - I just got home. Sat at the cafe for a while longer then headed over to the beach by way of La Honda and down to Santa Cruz. Used all sorts of lenses.....

But first Godfrey's PEN....by the way Godfrey it was a 36 exposure roll LOL...

17mm pancake straight from the camera jpegs
    http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/3/7/_7030209.jpg

What the h**l kind of sensor is that?
    http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/3/7/_7030211.jpg

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/3/7/_7030213.jpg

50 lux - ooops a little too shallow on the camera - sorry about that Godfrey.
    http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/3/7/_7030214.jpg
    omg, that roll's going to be in the Pen EE for a while ... 36 exp == 72+ exposures half-frame. sheesh.

Thanks for that.
    It was great to see you again today. We'll have to go shooting sometime. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Hey that 17 2.8 looks pretty good Terry, where do I get one?

Post Thanks / Like

Clay, try Monza at Precision PHoto. I have one coming from them--not sure if they have any more. Someone also said 17th Photo (NYC) had the 17 kit this morning, so likely have the 17.

I'm looking forward to putting the 17 on the G1--though I love the design of the EP-1-----still not sure its a good tool for me.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by clay stewart View Post
    Hey that 17 2.8 looks pretty good Terry, where do I get one?
    Mine came from K&S (Keeble and Scuchat) in Palo Alto. You can call and see if they have more. They will be open on Sunday.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Onward - Here is a wow factor the Panny 7-14 on the E-P1 is a GREAT combo!
    The internal leveling indicator is a godsend for this lens when not on a tripod and trying to minimize distortion!

I adjusted exposure and fill light on this.

tiny bit of rotation

I blew the flower in the jpeg I will have to see what the RAW looks like but you can get pretty close with the lens.

yes, the danger of wide....my shadow LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Great shots Terry and thanks for the heads up on the lens Terry and Diane.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A couple with the Panny 45-200. It was not that easy to see the LCD (in detail - framing was OK) at some points in time today - this is as bright as it gets along this coast.

Not sure how the guy with no shirt got to the rocks but he looks to be wearing regular clothes and shoes but they are a wee bit wet.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gallery7 View Post
    ... My main question is how responsive is the shutter when run in manual focus?
    It seems as responsive as my DSLRs (E-1, L1, K10D).

Does it have any indicator of focal distance ala the sigma DP1? I would run it as a scale focus machine primarily so auto focus is of little concern really.
    No. Olympus ZD SLR pro lenses have a focusing scale, but the ZD standard and current M.Zuikos for the E-P1 have no focusing scale.

Is there lag if it's run in Aperture Priority and Manual Focus?
    No more than a DSLR that I could observe.

As well how is the iso 800-1600 performance. I work on a d700 and d3 and I am not looking for that sort of performance. I am fond of tri-x and neopan 1600 if that is any yardstick.
    ISO 1600 quickie test shot, slightly underexposed:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Onward - Here is a wow factor the Panny 7-14 on the E-P1 is a GREAT combo!
    The internal leveling indicator is a godsend for this lens when not on a tripod and trying to minimize distortionG]
    Terry, how does the internal leveling indicator work--is it a meter type graphic giving an indication, like a level, that the camera is level?? I occasionally use the grid on the G1--mainly because I really like my grid screen on my 5D--so that works, but it is a visual check of your own.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Now--a question that may be premature, but I'm curious. For those of you that have both the G1 and the EP-1--or are contemplating adding one or the other, when will you use each of them? Will you carry them in tandem with 2 lenses or choose one for a day's shooting (I know that Terry will carry both for her Icelandic workshop)? Will you tend to use the EP-1 with a very small lens like the 17 or use any lens for the m4/3rds? How will you carry each--one as a 'system' (i.e., the G1 with several lenses)--and perhaps the EP-1 in hand for street shooting?? An inquiring mind wants to know.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Since the E-P1 will use all the same lenses as the G1 and is a very trim shape, I could either do as I do now ... carry one body at a time and one to three lenses or add it as second body to the bag, fitted with one of the lenses.

I see using the E-P1 with primarily the 17 and 35 or 40 mm lenses as a very compact and lightweight street/people shooter, something I can have with me all the time even more easily than the G1 is now (which is certainly pretty small and light as it is!).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry: I love all the coast images. Great colors! Thanks for sharing. -Durr

Post Thanks / Like

thanx a lot godfrey!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Terry, how does the internal leveling indicator work--is it a meter type graphic giving an indication, like a level, that the camera is level?? I occasionally use the grid on the G1--mainly because I really like my grid screen on my 5D--so that works, but it is a visual check of your own.

Diane
    Hi Diane.
    It is actually quite useful and probably the reason why my flagpole and lighthouse aren't out of whack as i was holding the camera sort of low to not cut off the contour of the land.

There are two scales and depending on how the camera is tilted they will show how far you are off in each direction.

Easiest to illustrate stealing from DPreview

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusep1/page9.asp

Attachment 18960

Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have had the G1 for a few months, and have used it as my travel / light kit (to compliment my 5D Mark II). I just picked up the EP-1, as even the G1 is a little too big for my taste when I'm traveling or walking the street.

Here's what appeals to me about the EP-1:

- Form and shape (more retro, like my beloved M8, which I'll probably now be selling)
    - 720p video (I think the GH1 is overpriced, so the EP-1 is a better route for video)
    - in-body stabilization (very handy for shooting with my M lenses on the E-P1)
    - All the high-end Olympus shooting controls and options that you would find on the E-620
    - Collapsable Olympus kit lens to save space
    - Easier access to "zoom" the center of the image on the LCD during manual focusing

After just one day with the EP-1, I am already convinced that I don't need to keep both cameras. I'll be able to use the EP-1 for any situation that I used to use the G1, and have all the additional benefits I listed above.

I will likely add an optical view finder, as I enjoy shooting that way. I'm thinking of putting a fairly large/wide view finder on, and then "marking" my own set of frame lines onto the view finder for some key focal lengths, mainly for when I use my Leica glass.

By the way, my 50 pre-asph lux is a dream on the EP-1, and gives me a tremendous portrait lens (equiv 100 f1.4). That lens is going to be spending a lot of time on my camera

My kit very similar to what Terry seems to have:

- Panny 7-14 (coming in a few days)
    - Oly 14-42 kit lens
    - Panny 45-200

For primes, I'm waiting for the Panny 20/1.7 (if it ever comes), and using my Leica glass in the meantime.

One other note - you can have the EP-1 in-body IS turned on, and the OIS on the Panny 45-200 turned on at the same time. The combo works very well, and I can get very stable images at 200mm (400mm equiv).

Mike
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Now--a question that may be premature, but I'm curious. For those of you that have both the G1 and the EP-1--or are contemplating adding one or the other, when will you use each of them? Will you carry them in tandem with 2 lenses or choose one for a day's shooting (I know that Terry will carry both for her Icelandic workshop)? Will you tend to use the EP-1 with a very small lens like the 17 or use any lens for the m4/3rds? How will you carry each--one as a 'system' (i.e., the G1 with several lenses)--and perhaps the EP-1 in hand for street shooting?? An inquiring mind wants to know.

Diane
    Diane,
    After Iceland, I'm really not sure yet. I like them both. There is no question, that yesterday in some instances, the EVF would have made life MUCH easier. I've been thinking about things I wanted to write in a more formal "what's it like compared to the G1" but here are some things. Someone needs to do a detachable EVF. Best of both worlds use it when needed and ditch it when you don't. A PEN with articulating screen could also be nice. I will say the viewing angle is better than I expected. Once I got the basic framing I just went by the audio beep.

Very strange but I hold the two cameras very differently and both are fun in their own way. I need more time to give my impressions on this. For some reason I feel more comfortable with my Leica lens on the Oly but it could be the way I held the M8

Big bonus of both Oly lenses: they focus closer than any of the Panasonic kit lenses. I will post some close focus shots after this post. Initially was not going to buy or keep the Oly kit lens but the close focus has changed my mind. I don't have a macro lens right now and didn't buy the Oly 50 macro (which is a fantastic lens) because it wouldn't focus on the G1. It will on the E-P1 and that is a big thing for me.

There are definitely items on my Oly really needs a firmware update list:

Too much shooting info is mutually exclusive. If you want live histo you give up other shooting info. If you want the level, you give it all up. If you want to get to manual focus with only one button push, there is no shooting info and if you are in the detail and then you want zoomed view it can be 6 button presses.

Bracketing is buried in the menus and should be a choice in the two custom buttons.

Whatever people say about the G1, they got A LOT of the buttons and menus and access VERY VERY right.

For some reason the burst capability to continue to see what is being shot seems better with the OLY. A lot more fluid. I have a 9 shot burst that I will post after this post (I don't use a lot of burst shooting but this will make a difference for kids playing sports BUT there is no focus tracking so depending on what direction the action is happening the subject may go out of the focus range).

I took a picture of my bag with my m4/3 kit. Small bag with lots of stuff. So the whole thing is very easy to grab and go for the day. The casualty might be my 25 lux. That is on the big side and I don't need it for outdoors that much (didn't take it yesterday). More time to figure that out.

In my small Lowepro Terraclime 100 bag I had both bodies, 7-14, 14-45, 45-200, 17, 14-42, 50 lux.

Meanwhile my "cube" tripod head arrived yesterday and it is hilarious sitting on the cube (picture in the anniversary cube thread)

Another day. Time to go learn some more.
    Last edited by Terry; 4th July 2009 at 08:37.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Very good info, Mike and Terry. First G1 owner that I have seen, that is switching completely to the E-P1.

I noticed the close focus of the 17 on one of your photos, Terry. This is a *big* thing for me. I'm looking forward to when the 17s are readily available so I can get one for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono,

Very nice photo's-- I really liked the photos of people at the wedding shot at high ISO's. I also appreciate your hands on comments regarding the EP-1.

Howard

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot Terry, Godfrey and Mike. I have the 17 coming, so that part is covered and have the m4/3rds lenses (9-18 w/adaptor instead of 7-14) plus my FDs and Hexanon--no Leicas *smile*--and likely not. I've been really tempted by the 25 f/1.4 but it is really larger than I'd like for this system.

I was interested in how others would use it if they had the G1/GH1 and I can see everyone has a bit different way/reason. I'm still honestly not sure w/o the VF if I would get a lot of use out of it. I'm not a tele shooter (thus less interest in IS)--my 45-200 is rarely on my camera-- I'm not a street shooter--and sometimes critical focus (MF) is very important to me and I'm just not sure about that with only an LCD.

I wouldn't ask these questions and go on LOL--if I really wasn't tempted by it--but I am, admittedly. I just really like the form better than the G1's but I like the EVF and the tilt LCD--so there I am LOL. Caught between a rock and a hard place. Obviously I agree with Terry on the 'want' for an external EVF. UH OH--the one decent camera store in Charlotte has added it to its web page--that may be the deciding thing for me--guess I'll head there next week. That could be the determining thing for me--hope they have a demo and give me a chance to try it out, both with my 14-45 and an MF lens and adaptor.

Thanks all. Its been helpful.

Terry--did you post your photo of your packed bag??? I saw the Cube with the EP-1 LOL.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Here we have the detachable EVF!!!

Karl

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Diane - moving a little slowly this morning. First up here are my 7-14 shots on the E-P1 and compared to the the Oly kit lens. A little bit startling that they are so similar in size.

I was asked for these at DPReview so you should have them as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The detachable EVF

Quote Originally Posted by Friedel View Post
    Here we have the detachable EVF!!!

Karl
    OK I'll buy one but green isn't my style - do you have them in blue or pink?