The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Having fun with the E-P1

Diane B

Keith, what's your 'Panny strategy'??? You mentioned that you might buy a GH1--not sure I'm following you LOL. I've even considered buying a GH1 for a second body--but will likely wait to see what's coming in the Fall.

The only photographic issue I really have with the G1 now is DR (and likely all 4/3rds sensors). I'm going to have to learn to bracket a LOT--it just doesn't handle file manipulation quite as well (DUH!!) as my 5D--and no matter what I did in single files, I couldn't get the DR for shadows to highlights in the G1 files (shooting in deep forest with sun in some areas--particularly on rocks--even though the onscreen histo showed no blown highlights--I'll have to do some checking out there). It also doesn't do quite as well in very low light, but pretty doggone good. I carried my 5D with 50 f/1.4 and the G1 with 14-45. I shot some young Amish girls at the front of a very dark church with both--the 5D at f/1.8 and lower ISO 160 (I could have upped my ISO and stopped down a bit more but I was trying to be quiet and quick) and the G1 with ISO800 and f/5.6 (at 45mm) and 1/10 sec. That photo with a bit of NW Pro is nicer than the 5D. I can live with NR in those situations--but rue the lower DR in other situations. Not just G1--but assuming the EP-1 also--but will watch and wait to see if they are similar in these regards.

Diane

Last edited:

Diane B

Diane,
I'm getting good at swapping camera equipment. If Panasonic comes out with a body of similar size and is like the "dream" mockup circulating the internet (with detachable EVF), that WILL replace the E-P1. As you know the E-P1 is a trial for me and if I didn't order it right away, and waited for all of the reviews, I was sort of toast for the summer. So we shall see...
Yes, you certainly are LOL. I've considered it but I'm quite committed with Canon so no go to switch elsewhere for FF.

I probably could sell the EP-1 quickly with all the interest but I'm going to take the road of a voyeur instead--and see how all of you like it. I know Jono is a total no tripod person and you are looking at it from a backup situation for your Iceland trip so you will likely use it on tripod--with various lenses. I liked the video I just watched (and posted the link). Its a better size for me than a pocketable camera really--and the 'pro' version they are touting--or a nicer bodied Panny would be my choice. I can wait though--you really can't.

Diane

Terry

Yes, you certainly are LOL. I've considered it but I'm quite committed with Canon so no go to switch elsewhere for FF.

I probably could sell the EP-1 quickly with all the interest but I'm going to take the road of a voyeur instead--and see how all of you like it. I know Jono is a total no tripod person and you are looking at it from a backup situation for your Iceland trip so you will likely use it on tripod--with various lenses. I liked the video I just watched (and posted the link). Its a better size for me than a pocketable camera really--and the 'pro' version they are touting--or a nicer bodied Panny would be my choice. I can wait though--you really can't.

Diane
Actually the E-P1 will most definitely not go on a tripod. Generally if I get set up on tripod I like having something also off tripod that I can shoot hand held at the same time. This is generally how I shot with the A900/G1 combo. Most of my G1 shots were handheld.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Keith, what's your 'Panny strategy'??? You mentioned that you might buy a GH1--not sure I'm following you LOL. I've even considered buying a GH1 for a second body--but will likely wait to see what's coming in the Fall.

Diane
Diane:

I'm a keen amateur and have a lot of cameras. But the G1 has changed my whole focus on photography. I love to use legacy lenses and to experiment with c-mount. I also bought an Olympus Pen F and four lenses based on the discussions in this forum.
I look around me and count 20 lenses that I have bought, because I have a G1. I sold my Pentax K-10 kit this week with some excellent lenses, simply because I never use it. So the G1 is the largest sensor I use, but I have Ricohs, a G10, a Dlux-4 and a few other point and shoots.
I don't like big cameras - so the E-P1 is fascinating for me, especially because of the romance of living though the Pen period - I had lots of them, but back then I could not afford a Pen F.
The lack of a viewfinder on the E-P1 is a deal breaker for me, and it's just a matter of time until a camera is available with one. The EP-1 with a removable EVF would already be in my collection. The first out of the gate whether its Oly or Panny will get my order.
But I need a second body and I'm going on a cruise in September. If nothing new is available before then, I'll get a GH-1 body

Keith

Diane B

Actually the E-P1 will most definitely not go on a tripod. Generally if I get set up on tripod I like having something also off tripod that I can shoot hand held at the same time. This is generally how I shot with the A900/G1 combo. Most of my G1 shots were handheld.
Okay, that makes sense. Since you mentioned the Y strap, after my little trip I decided that that is the way to go. I looked at the R straps also (had seen both awhile ago but didn't see the need for them) but the Y seems more usable. I could have used it with 5D on tripod this time. Not sure how often I will carry both 5D and G1, but am considering putting the 50 f/1.4 on the 5D and carrying one or 2 other lenses and the G1.

Still curious what bag you settled on and if it worked for carrying all. I have oodles of bags and used a big LP Maxim Pro for commercial work but though it would hold all, I def. will not carry it for any personal use. I have 2 backpacks that would carry most all, but wouldn't be much pleasure. So--curious what others are finding to use with a FF kit and the G1 (or EP-1) kit.

Diane

N

nei1

Im lucky,this camera is not right for me,Ill not buy a camera without a viewfinder(maybe the dp2) and more or less we know the performance from the plethora of other mediochre olympi so personally dont see what the fuss is about.However for those who see this as a possible purchase I sympathise with your frustration at Jonos childishness.:rolleyes::)

jonoslack

Okay Okay :)

Here are 5 shots taken with the 50 macro using the panasonic adaptor and autofocus, all in bright sunshine (no real problems with the LCD)

jonoslack

These were all taken with the 50-200 old version (non SWD) and the adaptor. The light was pretty overcast.
Focus was S-AF+M, most are taken at 320 ISO. The 'hit rate' with the chickens was not so far off what I get with other setups (they do move!)

Incidentally, all these shots, and those in the last post were hand held.

All shot raw and processed in Olympus Studio.

Diane B

Nice Jono. I was interested in your comment about the LCD--and the fact you used a non m4/3rds lens (though not in MF I assume--or did you??)

Thanks. Now--any comments as you start to shoot with it? How did it go yesterday?--assuming you used it and it was lower light in the church.

Ah, typed before I saw your second post. Chickens!!!!. I still have the wonderful chicken shot you sent me years ago with E10 I think. These are very nice--but what else would I expect?

I saw the 55-200 on the EP-1. Must have been a bit unbalanced, wasn't it?? I can see the m4/3rds 45-200 on it--but this must have been a case of handling the lens primarily LOL--but nice shots for sure.

Diane

Diane

jonoslack

Im lucky,this camera is not right for me,Ill not buy a camera without a viewfinder(maybe the dp2) and more or less we know the performance from the plethora of other mediochre olympi
We is an interesting word in this context Neil - of course, YOU are absolutely entitled to your opinion . . . presumably based on lots of experience shooting digital olympi?
so personally dont see what the fuss is about.However for those who see this as a possible purchase I sympathise with your frustration at Jonos childishness.:rolleyes::)
Well, I was trying to be playful, but if you read it as childish :cool: of you.

If you want a real excuse, I've been trying to prepare a report for BP, cut the grass, process pictures, and that's after a 4 day trip to Azerbaijahn, with a wedding all day yesterday (I got to bed at 7am), and the prospect of having to do an update on a client's system this evening.
:p:p:p:p:p

Terry

Still curious what bag you settled on and if it worked for carrying all. I have oodles of bags and used a big LP Maxim Pro for commercial work but though it would hold all, I def. will not carry it for any personal use. I have 2 backpacks that would carry most all, but wouldn't be much pleasure. So--curious what others are finding to use with a FF kit and the G1 (or EP-1) kit.

Diane
Here is the bag that I took (can you believe I actually already owned it and didn't have to buy a new one :cool:). I had the two camera bodies in wraps in the top compartment. This backpack also has a compartment for my laptop. Fully loaded with filters, batteries, and other misc. stuff it was pretty heavy but the longest carry was in the airport. Everything fit but it was pretty tight but I now know that I could use it for my Iceland trip.

I still have the Gura Gear bag on order. It is a bigger bag and if we are on a hike I might like it better. It does have a waist strap and I think if I load it correctly, I will be able to put some lightweight rain gear in it. I think I can better balance out the load.

Finally I have a Shootsac which would have been easier to use at times when working out of the car. Throw a few lenses in it and good to walk around (not hike). The shootsac packs completely flat and I plan on taking that with me. I haven't tried to but any of the big Zeiss lenses it it yet but that is today's project.

Last edited:

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
These were all taken with the 50-200 old version (non SWD) and the adaptor. The light was pretty overcast.
Focus was S-AF+M, most are taken at 320 ISO. The 'hit rate' with the chickens was not so far off what I get with other setups (they do move!)

Incidentally, all these shots, and those in the last post were hand held.
Thanks Jono - those are lovely images. We all knew deep down that this would be the case.

Can you expand on "(no real problems with the LCD)" A guarded opinion.

Might have been better if it were articulated, or was brightness an issue - looks like a bright day?

Keith

Terry

Hi Jono,
Looking good. Seems like you ditched the kit lens pretty quickly. The feather detail looks pretty darn good to me. Hopefully the camera handled nicely for you.

The 50 macro looks like it makes a nice combo with the body. How much did you rely on the straight AF or did you do some manual tweaks?

p.s. 4 days in Baku and how much travel time...bleccch :eek:

clay stewart

Thanks for the pics, Jono. So what do you think? One thing that I think I've noticed about all the pics I've seen on the net so far, is that there seems to be a softness to the images, as if it had a very strong AA filter. That leaf shot of yours, seems to be the sharpest I've seen yet. What are your thoughts on that? Also, what about the focus speed, will it be a problem? Thanks Clay

Terry

Thanks for the pics, Jono. So what do you think? One thing that I think I've noticed about all the pics I've seen on the net so far, is that there seems to be a softness to the images, as if it had a very strong AA filter. That leaf shot of yours, seems to be the sharpest I've seen yet. What are your thoughts on that? Also, what about the focus speed, will it be a problem? Thanks Clay
Actually Oly has said that they used a much weaker AA filter than normal. I think a lot of what has been posted on line started and ended as jpegs. Jono is one of the very few people I've seen shoot raw and use the Oly software to process.

jonoslack

HI There
the wedding I was at was not 'my' wedding, so I didn't take too many shots, and I didn't only use the EP1 either.
Here is just one shot of the happy couple:

take with kit zoom
The rest are much later at the reception - all are taken either with the zeiss 50mm f1.5 or the 75 mm 'cron. All are manually focused (obviously) and none was using the magnify function.

This one was at 3200, and I have simply exported it as a jpg, so you can get some idea of the reality:

the rest are at 1250 or 1600

this one was very late!

All were originally shot as jpg using AWB

One thing I will say about the camera, is that using it with a manual focus lens is rather wonderful - better (I think) than using it with a rangefinder or an evf, because you can hold the camera down, still see easily what's in the LCD, and use your real eyes to judge the moment. I can see that the camera would be great for shooting in the street, setting a hyperfocal distance with an MF lens and shooting from the hip. (something I was doing with an M8 in last week - much more difficult as you must guess the framing.)

jonoslack

nice shots Jono,the camellia looks suitably creamy
Thanks Neil . . . you are hereby forgiven for calling me childish :)

Thanks Jono - those are lovely images. We all knew deep down that this would be the case.

Can you expand on "(no real problems with the LCD)" A guarded opinion.

Might have been better if it were articulated, or was brightness an issue - looks like a bright day?
HI Keith - I'm not really experienced with either the camera, or using an LCD only. That's the only reason for being guarded. A couple of points:

1. the AF speed didn't bug me
2. the manual focusing with M lenses was manageable and produced only marginally less sharp pictures than I would have with a Leica - remember, no practice, no experience, no magnify.
3. the LCD viewing angle is really good - I don't miss the articulated LCD of the E3 at all.
4. I can see the LCD well enough to take pictures in very bright sunlight - of course, our garden on a sunny june day is hardly Greece, but it's bright.

Hi Jono,
Looking good. Seems like you ditched the kit lens pretty quickly. The feather detail looks pretty darn good to me. Hopefully the camera handled nicely for you.

The 50 macro looks like it makes a nice combo with the body. How much did you rely on the straight AF or did you do some manual tweaks?

p.s. 4 days in Baku and how much travel time...bleccch :eek:
HI Terry - actually, the kit lens looks pretty good, but last night it was too dark (most of those are shot at f1.5) today I was being asked what the focusing was like with the body so I thought I'd try it.

With the macro, they were nearly all simply S-AF, with the 50-100 lots of them had a little tweak (it was remarkably easy and the hand fell to the zoom/focus ring easily).

p.s. - 5 hour flight, 3 hour drive each way, 4 hour time difference - interesting place though.

Thanks for the pics, Jono. So what do you think? One thing that I think I've noticed about all the pics I've seen on the net so far, is that there seems to be a softness to the images, as if it had a very strong AA filter. That leaf shot of yours, seems to be the sharpest I've seen yet. What are your thoughts on that? Also, what about the focus speed, will it be a problem?
Hi Clay - Terry has it, the AA filter looks much lighter than any 4/3 I've seen from Olympus.
As for the focus speed - if you're expecting it to be like an SLR you'll be disappointed, if you're expecting it to be like a d-lux4 . . . you'll be pretty pleased!