The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Having fun with the E-P1

Diane B

I think the sensors used in 4/3 and m4/3 have gotten considerably better since the 410. This is on both ends of the spectrum noise and dynamic range. Certainly I would print a G1 image at A3.

I think the EP1 and G1 share sensors and Oly has certainly improved the firmware.
I have printed G1 files at A3 a number of times (3800 on Ilford GFS)--in fact the same scene from 5D and G1 (shot as close as possible as far as DOF, FL, etc.) and was pleased. I did print a 2 over 2 pano from the G1 at 16 x 24 was satisfied this was a viable route to take for some situations. I wouldn't hesitate to print at A3 though.

I should say here that I have had a bit of a bias against the 4/3rds except for color. I bought the G1 thinking it would simply be my 'small' cam for hiking and long days walking where I didn't want to carry a big kit. In the end, I find I'm shootinq quite a lot with it--partly because its just a terrifically fun camera to shoot with--esp. with MF lenses, but also because I found that I liked the color, was satisfied with the A3 and smaller prints--and am gaining a lot more confidence in its usage. I would guess I would feel the same with the EP-1 (except for my caveat about VF which I'm willing to reconsider as I read more personal reviews).

As far as sensors getting better--I can't speak at all to that, but isn't it being said that the EP-1 appears to do better with higher ISO noise?? IF DR would be improved, that would be yet another reason for me to consider.

Diane

Last edited:

jonoslack

Can we just go over that point again...

I have been looking for a way to carry a lightweight camera outfit dedicated to landscape use. So lightweight I would actually bother to take a tripod.

I have a e410 and the two tiny kit lenses but I have never considered it for this role even though it sounds suited, mainly because all the reviews and sniping comments about its small sensor, softness, noise and limited DR have put me off even trying it out seriously.

Are you saying 4/3 can be taken seriously in this role? If so, is there much difference in A3 print quality between the E410 and EP1? How would either compare to 450D and 5D up to A3? Why am I even asking you this when I already own 3 of the 4 cameras????

The trouble with reading forums is that sometimes the opinions seem to override the evidence of your own eyes...
:) Exactly
Let's be honest David - we have such different methodology for landscape - I have some prints I think are fine at A2 from the humble old E1 - it depends on the subject.

Added to which, I always shoot hand held . ..

I don't think you would really take my approach to landscape seriously in the first place, so my opinion on the useability of a camera would be more the case.

As for lenses . . . well, I don't think I'd use anybody's kit lens for a landscape, except perhaps the 24-70 f2.8 zeiss kit with the A900!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay enough for me. I want one . Think I will sell my G10.

Question though can I process the raws in C1 or what programs can process these. Might have to wait for some updates from these folks

Godfrey

Can we just go over that point again...

I have been looking for a way to carry a lightweight camera outfit dedicated to landscape use. So lightweight I would actually bother to take a tripod.
The trouble with reading forums is that sometimes the opinions seem to override the evidence of your own eyes...
On my last two photo trips, I carried L1 and three lenses (11-22, 25, 35) ... and tripod. Not cumbersome at all. I can never understand people carrying three bodies, twelve lenses, etc. I would NOT be without a tripod for landscape work, period.

Panasonic L1 + Summilux 25

Panasonic L1 + Olympus ZD 11-22

Panasonic L1 + Olympus ZD 25

Tripods make a difference.

Regard forum opinions: first hand experience is always far more valuable. I only recommend things that I have personally tried out myself and found to be useful, workable solutions to problems.

Last edited:

Godfrey

I expect Camera Raw/DNG Converter and Lightroom will include the E-P1 shortly. That's when I'll buy one, unless I do it before... ;-)

jonoslack

Regard forum opinions: first hand experience is always far more valuable. I only recommend things that I have personally tried out myself and found to be useful, workable solutions to problems.
Hi Godfrey - I try very hard not to recommend anything at all:). We all have different needs and intentions.

Here are a few simple shots taken in a ten minute break this afternoon with the E-P1 and the kit lens:

Shot as jpg - almost no pp (time is of the essence . . . )

MoJo

Registred Users
Indeed a great bunch of pictures. But, honestly, don´t you think a good photographer could do that with some other camera as well?...:rolleyes:

(As you can see, I´m putting my defence up using any argument I can think of....:cry: )
sure, a good photographer could of used any camera to do those shots, all modern cameras are darn good these days. he has the eye, and knows how to process his files.

-Josef

MoJo

Registred Users
Yes, I looked, then rushed off to try and convert some of my shots to B&W trying various tools. Couldn't get anything with that range and depth of tone. I wonder how he does it.
well, on his website he says he shot jpegs i believe, and just pulls in the blacks a bit. i don't think it is that hard to get that effect at all.

Diane B

well, on his website he says he shot jpegs i believe, and just pulls in the blacks a bit. i don't think it is that hard to get that effect at all.
On the dpreview Oly SLR forum he talks about the channel mixer, etc. in PS, so he apparently just processed them as many do in PS---but has a good eye for it. Oh, someone asked him about the on camera filters too--so he may have used them for some. Interestingly enough, he said he wasn't going to buy the camera for himself at this point (this was loaned by Oly for the day) and explain why later.

Diane

Godfrey

Met up with Terry yesterday when she picked up her E-P1 (the camera shop is just a few minutes from my home).

All I can say is "what a delightful camera!" The size, shape and feel is just right. We tried it with my 40/1.4 and 25/2.8, had no problem at all focusing them. We listened to the shutter sound compared to the G1 ... very similar, bu the E-P1 seems a little "tighter" ... probably a result of it being a bit denser and maybe the IS mechanism damping some more of the noise.

We made a few test exposures which I have on a card here, but I was too exhausted to try to do anything with them last night (Hell Day). But I tell you, there are various bits and pieces of equipment in my cabinet that are now feeling very scared ... never mind the piggy bank. ;-)

Will

Got the chance to look at one today. The size and feel really reminded me of my old OM4 apart from the weight. Then the reflex to put the finder to my eye kicked in :( oh dear. Think I'll have to wait. Lovely camera otherwise though.

clay stewart

I haven't seen or held one yet, but I saw that B and H had them in stock this morning and something extraordinary came over me:sleep006:. When I came to, I had an email from B and H, saying the item had shipped:confused::eek::eek:

I really wanted the 17 2.8, but I suspect these bodies will be in short supply for a while, so I got one while I could, along with the Panasonic M4/3 adapter,(I hope it works as well as the Oly one) so I could use my 25 2.8 and 11-22.

Ever since owning the Ricoh GRD, I've wanted something like it, with a larger sensor and interchangeable lenses, so I guess this is what I've been dreaming of:clap:

woodyspedden

:) Exactly
Let's be honest David - we have such different methodology for landscape - I have some prints I think are fine at A2 from the humble old E1 - it depends on the subject.

Added to which, I always shoot hand held . ..

I don't think you would really take my approach to landscape seriously in the first place, so my opinion on the useability of a camera would be more the case.

As for lenses . . . well, I don't think I'd use anybody's kit lens for a landscape, except perhaps the 24-70 f2.8 zeiss kit with the A900!
Hey Jono

As always you bring forth many pregnant ideas about cameras, composition etc. My only confusion is that I did not think the 24-70 zoom had anything to do with the D series of Nikon bodies. I thought this was a Nikon product (and a darn good one at that) but the Zeiss ZF manual focus primes were just that slightest bit better. I just got back from Guy's workshop in Navajolands and the Zeiss primes were just superb. I did not wish for anything else at all. (Well just maybe a P65+ mounted on an Arca or Cambo WDS) to assure that I could get all that was in the field of view.)

We had fun and I recommend that everyone go on at least one of Guy and Jack's workshops to get down to it!!!! as the Music would say. Great fun this!

Best

Woody

Godfrey

Finally a little time at my desk to look at the E-P1 photos I made with Terry yesterday.

I found there is a free Olympus Studio 2 update (v2.3.0) which now handles the E-P1 .ORF files. Studio 2 remains as wretched to use as ever, but at least I can evaluate the RAW files to some degree now.

As usual, though, Olympus produces some of the best JPEG files in the industry. ;-)

More when ...

Terry

Finally a few of my own to add.....

I can't wait to have a go at the RAW file of this one....

I can say for sure there is something about this camera that seems to render B&W very nicely. I feel like I'm getting good blacks. Color jpeg converted to B&W in Lightroom

Moi :D with my 50 lux

Hey I live in a tourist city

Last night. The histogram of this shot was a surprise. Nothing even close to blowing. Straight from the camera. Histogram below.

View attachment 18873