The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Having fun with the E-P1

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hi

well, to me at least I don't see anything in that image which I would expect to blow, it seems quite soft light (speaking as an Australian where we have more challenging light).

How does it compare to the G1 with same lens / settings?
I think you missed the whole point it is not the highlights i was referring too but holding the shadow details. Almost any meter would have gone for the bright sky and killed the shadows, here it balanced it nice but the cream de la creme is the shadow detail that it is holding on at least a 5 stop swing.

pellicle

Hi Guy
I think you missed the whole point it is not the highlights i was referring too but holding the shadow details.
clearly ... well you did start refereing to blown hilights ... and I didn't see anything about shadow details.

was that the JPG histogram or the RAW one?

Almost any meter would have gone for the bright sky and killed the shadows, here it balanced it nice but the cream de la creme is the shadow detail that it is holding on at least a 5 stop swing.
well I've found on my G1 and my nikon Coolpix (though not with my Canon stuff) that it does pretty well in situations like that, it doesn't blow the hilights nor does it stuff the whole scene so far down the spectrum as to give the shadows bareley any differentiatable levels (where quantization is low too).

I was trying to illustrate with my poor example that scene brightness range is the issue. In Finland (where I live now) the light is seldom so harsh (strong full sunlight) as it is in Australia. There dynamic range of your stuff will really be tested.

It's a nice image though and I wasn't critiquing it, I was just saying that I didn't think it represented much challenge for existing gear.

Not that I'm against the EP-1 at all ... but I'd like to see what it can do with tough lighting situations rather than smooth gentle evening light.

Terry

It was a jpeg because I can't open the RAWs yet but here is one from midday today. Shot with my 50lux. Was really trying to deal with sunny outdoor manual focus. So, not sure what is going on but again plenty of detail in the shdows and nothing blown.

View attachment 18908

R

Ranger 9

Last night. The histogram of this shot was a surprise. Nothing even close to blowing. Straight from the camera. Histogram below.
Now there's the germ of a novel idea: A website where photographers post their favorite histograms! And post tips on how to get better histograms! Test reports on which cameras deliver the best histograms! Maybe even a histogram-of-the-year competition!! The webmaster could tour the country giving workshops on "How to Improve Your Histograms."

Heck, it could be next year's "Strobist"...

Terry

Now there's the germ of a novel idea: A website where photographers post their favorite histograms! And post tips on how to get better histograms! Test reports on which cameras deliver the best histograms! Maybe even a histogram-of-the-year competition!! The webmaster could tour the country giving workshops on "How to Improve Your Histograms."

Heck, it could be next year's "Strobist"...
I'm not sure I completely understand the sarcasm. Brand new camera. Taking shots in places I've had problems before and in these shots I am not blowing highlights or going to black in the shadows. Trying to work out what the camera is doing. What would you suggest in working out the metering or dynamic range this camera is capturing?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hi Guy

clearly ... well you did start refereing to blown hilights ... and I didn't see anything about shadow details.

was that the JPG histogram or the RAW one?

well I've found on my G1 and my nikon Coolpix (though not with my Canon stuff) that it does pretty well in situations like that, it doesn't blow the hilights nor does it stuff the whole scene so far down the spectrum as to give the shadows bareley any differentiatable levels (where quantization is low too).

I was trying to illustrate with my poor example that scene brightness range is the issue. In Finland (where I live now) the light is seldom so harsh (strong full sunlight) as it is in Australia. There dynamic range of your stuff will really be tested.

It's a nice image though and I wasn't critiquing it, I was just saying that I didn't think it represented much challenge for existing gear.

Not that I'm against the EP-1 at all ... but I'd like to see what it can do with tough lighting situations rather than smooth gentle evening light.
No you miss read my post which is 143 . I quoted Terry's comments (Maybe a bad cut and paste on my part) and all I wrote was this.

Now this is impressive DR

pellicle

Hi

No you miss read my post which is 143 . I quoted Terry's comments (Maybe a bad cut and paste on my part) and all I wrote was this.

Now this is impressive DR

ok ... even going back it doesn't look like it was a quote ... sorry about the confusion.

still ... the quoted photo doesn't look like impressive dynamic range to me (least wise nothing more or less than I'd get with my G1).

:)

mod2001

I tested this today, the Pana 14-45 kit lens on the E-P1, it's silent while focusing during video...the camera does not pick up any lens noise while in C-AF mode.
Hi Monza,

thanks for this really fast testing :thumbup:

so, i will buy the E-P1 today and order the Pana in Asia (can't get it here in Germany alone), meanwhile i will have fun with my old Pen F lenses :eek:

Yogi

dmpbyrdwatcher

Hi Terry,

I'm curious, what do you have 'gradation' set to, auto or normal?

And how is the LCD in bright California sunshine?

Also, I'm sure you know this, but you can use Studio or Master to access the raw files while you are waiting for your usual converter. Studio is clunky if you want to individually tweak each and every file, but works fine for batch conversion to tiffs.

thanks,

Terry

I've just decided to shoot Raw+jpeg and save the RAWs until we have support. I don't have the patience to learn another system.

I have gradation set to normal. I haven't come up with my custom settings yet. There are so many different combinations that I want to make sure the basic camera settings stay intact.

For all of those who thought the G1 had too many different settings to chose from, Oly is even more complicated with their settings.

At the moment my simplest camera is the A900 :ROTFL:

Brian Mosley

Inspired by Jono, I popped the E-P1 onto the ZD 50-200mm SWD today...

E-P1 + 50-200mm SWD
1/125s f/4.0 at 200.0mm iso800

In body stabilisation seems to work OK :)

Kind Regards

Brian

Godfrey

Terry was picking up her M.Zuiko 17mm lens this morning so I popped up to K&S to see it and visit with her again.

I was early, she was running late, but while I waited I unloaded my bag full of goodies onto the counter and nabbed the demo E-P1 from the shelf and played with it. Terry arrived, we had a bit of refreshment and yakked about the little beast at the cafe across the street until I had to run off to do some work for a client.

My morning testing revealed:

- E-P1 focuses both the 11-22 and 35 Macro perfectly.
- It focuses the 35 Macro with the EC14 behind it perfectly.
- The Voigtländer Viewfinder 75mm works well with the 35 Macro (and my 40/1.4 as well).
- Both the M.Zuiko 17mm and 14-42mm lenses work very nicely on the G1.
- The Cosmicar 12.5mm f/1.4 works nicely on the E-P1 too.
- Terry's G Vario 7-14/4 is a delight.
- Terry's Summilux-M 50/1.4 fitted to the E-P1 is a thing of beauty.

A couple of pictures of the E-P1 with 35 Macro and OVF as well as next to my Olympus Pen EE, for size and shape comparison:

Darn nice camera. ;-)

Terry

Godfrey - I just got home. Sat at the cafe for a while longer then headed over to the beach by way of La Honda and down to Santa Cruz. Used all sorts of lenses.....

But first Godfrey's PEN....by the way Godfrey it was a 36 exposure roll LOL...

17mm pancake straight from the camera jpegs

What the h**l kind of sensor is that?

50 lux - ooops a little too shallow on the camera - sorry about that Godfrey.

gallery7

I have some E-P1 questions of someone cares to oblige.

I am extremely interested in the camera as it seems to fit my "style" of doing things very well.

My main question is how responsive is the shutter when run in manual focus? Does it have any indicator of focal distance ala the sigma DP1? I would run it as a scale focus machine primarily so auto focus is of little concern really. Is there lag if it's run in Aperture Priority and Manual Focus?

As well how is the iso 800-1600 performance. I work on a d700 and d3 and I am not looking for that sort of performance. I am fond of tri-x and neopan 1600 if that is any yardstick.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Godfrey

Godfrey - I just got home. Sat at the cafe for a while longer then headed over to the beach by way of La Honda and down to Santa Cruz. Used all sorts of lenses.....

But first Godfrey's PEN....by the way Godfrey it was a 36 exposure roll LOL...

17mm pancake straight from the camera jpegs
http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/3/7/_7030209.jpg

What the h**l kind of sensor is that?
http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/3/7/_7030211.jpg

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/3/7/_7030213.jpg

50 lux - ooops a little too shallow on the camera - sorry about that Godfrey.
http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/3/7/_7030214.jpg
omg, that roll's going to be in the Pen EE for a while ... 36 exp == 72+ exposures half-frame. sheesh.

Thanks for that.
It was great to see you again today. We'll have to go shooting sometime. :)